• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

AD 100 Install ?

I will be installing the new AD 100 soon and was wondering what everyone else does with the stock filter housing? I thought I read that some have removed it but now I can't find the info again. I plan on running the 1/2" line right to the VP with a tee for the pressure gauge unless there is a better way to do it.

I will be installing the new AD 100 soon and was wondering what everyone else does with the stock filter housing? I thought I read that some have removed it but now I can't find the info again. I plan on running the 1/2" line right to the VP with a tee for the pressure gauge unless there is a better way to do it.

I personally have kept my OEM housing. I gain a little extra filtration and the use of the pre-heater. Running the line is perfectly fine and thats how we are told to do it. If you live in the colder climated areas, keeping the housinf for the pre-heat might not be a bad idea... You would need to get a line kit made up for the distance between the vp44 and housing though. I have not done that yet, myself. :nono:
  • Like 1

I personally have kept my OEM housing. I gain a little extra filtration and the use of the pre-heater. Running the line is perfectly fine and thats how we are told to do it. If you live in the colder climated areas, keeping the housinf for the pre-heat might not be a bad idea... You would need to get a line kit made up for the distance between the vp44 and housing though. I have not done that yet, myself. :nono:

The pre heater will likely be needed here as it gets down below zero during the winter. Do you happen to know if the inlet on the filter housing is the same thread as the inlet on the VP?

The pre heater will likely be needed here as it gets down below zero during the winter. Do you happen to know if the inlet on the filter housing is the same thread as the inlet on the VP?

Yes, the supplied fitting from AD for their quick connect will thread into the same hole the hardline uses to feed fuel to the filter housing. Dripley, thanks for the link to vulcans kit. I was gonna make my own, but this looks good too. Is the side on the fitting provided able to accept a needle-valve?
  • Like 1

Yes, the supplied fitting from AD for their quick connect will thread into the same hole the hardline uses to feed fuel to the filter housing.

Dripley, thanks for the link to vulcans kit. I was gonna make my own, but this looks good too. Is the side on the fitting provided able to accept a needle-valve?

That's what I was hoping for. Now if I get the rest of the work out of the shop and put the pump in before the other line kit gets here I won't have to worry about not having the pre heater. Not that it's been very cold here this year.

Next question. Is it necessary to have a filter in the stock housing? I can see the benefit of more filtering but can too much be a problem?

I opted to keep the stock filter housing, installed a new filter but replaced the restrictive stock fittings with fittings from Vulcan. It may be "extra" but so be it. It keeps the water in fuel active as well. (If I get water through the AD separator, I'm in real trouble!) All good!

Yes, the supplied fitting from AD for their quick connect will thread into the same hole the hardline uses to feed fuel to the filter housing. Dripley, thanks for the link to vulcans kit. I was gonna make my own, but this looks good too. Is the side on the fitting provided able to accept a needle-valve?

I never checked to see if it would. I spliced a tapped tee for my needle vavelpost-10340-138698184886_thumb.jpg and use the outlet on the 90 to bleed the low pressure side or to hook my test gauge to it. It might work i just dont remember what thread it has on it. You can call them and I am sure they would tell you.
  • Like 1

That's what I was hoping for. Now if I get the rest of the work out of the shop and put the pump in before the other line kit gets here I won't have to worry about not having the pre heater. Not that it's been very cold here this year. Next question. Is it necessary to have a filter in the stock housing? I can see the benefit of more filtering but can too much be a problem?

I kept the stock filter also. I dont think it would hurt anything if you did not use though. Just be darn sure you clean it out good.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally got the AD 100 installed yesterday. I put the 17 lb spring in and slightly closed the end of the spring to an oval shape as I read it here somewhere. I ran the new line to the filter housing instead of the VP and will be ordering the kit to go from the filter to the VP soon. Pressure is 15 psi at idle and drops to 12.5 at WOT. Much better than the stock pump but I'm fairly confident it will go up with the big line kit. I also picked up a new stock filter to drop in just in case. Is there any trick to putting the push lock splice into the hose. I lubed both the hose and splice with WD-40 and still struggled with it?Also, how long did the install take for the rest of you? It took me about 5 hours total and a little over an hour of it was just trying to remove the line from the top of the tank without damaging anything.

• 3 weeks later...

I bypassed my stock filter when I installed my AD150. I've been thinking about routing it back in though. I've still got one good stock fuel filter sitting in the toolbox, lol. Here in Alabama I doubt I'll ever need the fuel heater, but one more filter couldn't hurt. Is there any significant pressure change when running thru another filter? Also, where would you want your pressure T for your gauge, before the stock filter, or after?

I hooked up the factory fuel filter as well. The factory filter is much larger and a better filter than the Airdogs. AH64ID AKA: John Jacobs has made up a fantastic chart comparing many of the different filters :thumbup2:http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/1994-Common-Fuel-Filter-Data the airdogs just don't compare well with the factory filter and they are way under sized to move the airdogs 100/150 gph. I recently installed the 17 psi in my airdog 100, what is theory/ reasoning behind making the end of the spring a oval. thanks for any input on the subject.

I hooked up the factory fuel filter as well. The factory filter is much larger and a better filter than the Airdogs. AH64ID AKA: John Jacobs has made up a fantastic chart comparing many of the different filters :thumbup2:http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/1994-Common-Fuel-Filter-Data the airdogs just don't compare well with the factory filter and they are way under sized to move the airdogs 100/150 gph.

I recently installed the 17 psi in my airdog 100, what is theory/ reasoning behind making the end of the spring a oval. thanks for any input on the subject.

I think I read that the ball would sometimes get stuck in the end of the spring and cause problems. The slight oval shape makes it difficult or maybe impossible for the ball to get stuck.

• Like 2

• Owner

I think I read that the ball would sometimes get stuck in the end of the spring and cause problems. The slight oval shape makes it difficult or maybe impossible for the ball to get stuck.

:smart: Correct... That is my theory... I was having problems with my AirDog 150 always getting lower and lower in pressure and then come to find the ball jammed in the coils of the spring and stuck. Pull the ball out and the pressure would automatically rise again till it would wedge itself back in the coils. So I made nearly 1 year now with a oval coil on the spring and no pressure drops. :whistle:
  • Like 1