• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cirus Oil Pressure?idiot light comes on

Started doing it only when warmed up when it dropped to idle at a light... now coming on @ 1000 rpm... slowing down, coasting, etc. I don't know if I have test guages any more. It could be the switch failing. Or I could be flirting with a catastrophic failure.I do have a coolant leak in the heater core but the temp guage reads normal...

• Owner

I would be getting a test gauge on there...All the times I've seen this kind of thing happening where the low-pressure light is flickering at an idle more times out of ten the sensor is showing true, and the oil pressure is, in fact, low after testing with and test gauge. Usually excessive bearing clearances and the oil pump just can't keep up any longer...

I made an appointment to take the Cirrus in, to get the oil pressure checked. It is full of nice clean oil. Last change was at Jiffy Lube... I think it has 5w30... (I checked for leaks myself before I drove away.) I won't let 5W30 happen again. 10w30 or 10w40... Because I use a walker, Jiffy Lube tryed to upsell me on everything... even stuff I had already had done. I wonder how many people they sucker? They never looked at the vehicle. When I challenged them they did this song & dance "due to the age of the vehicle"... When I didn't buy the extras, they rushed me out... without completing the services I paid for. Did not top up fluids (coolant overflow & windshield washer was both low), didn't vacume, didn't look for grease fittings because OEM has sealed units but the front end repair parts are greasable. Not going back... just pisses me off. Anyrate going to the repair garage tomorrow.

I made an appointment to take the Cirrus in, to get the oil pressure checked. It is full of nice clean oil. Last change was at Jiffy Lube... I think it has 5w30... (I checked for leaks myself before I drove away.) I won't let 5W30 happen again. 10w30 or 10w40... Because I use a walker, Jiffy Lube tryed to upsell me on everything... even stuff I had already had done. I wonder how many people they sucker? They never looked at the vehicle. When I challenged them they did this song & dance "due to the age of the vehicle"... When I didn't buy the extras, they rushed me out... without completing the services I paid for. Did not top up fluids (coolant overflow & windshield washer was both low), didn't vacume, didn't look for grease fittings because OEM has sealed units but the front end repair parts are greasable. Not going back... just pisses me off. Anyrate going to the repair garage tomorrow.

:doh::ahhh: YIKES! You need a young whipper snapper to boss around... :whistle:

Good news: bad oil pressure switch. Was leaking oil. Not too costly to fix... from underneath while on lift. Bad news: transmission line (patched by transmission shop: rubber hose & screw clamps) is leaking again. The shop offered to top up the fluid but I opted to leave the car. It'll be costly, mostly to get access, but will install high pressure hydraulic lines. I noticed recently had a bit of a tranny whine shifting... my reason for going for it. (I didn't tell them about the whine). This shop does a good job in looking a vehicle over & not turning a blind eye to things that are not right. They're not outrageously agressive in selling work. So I will drive the CTD until it comes back. :)

I got the Cirrus back on the road. It wasn't cheap but I think there was some savings in doing both at once. In talking with their front desk guy, all the employees are very experienced. Many came from dealerships. All have been there several years. Experienced mechanics may cost more in the short term but ultimatelty cost less. Their Chrysler man owned a Cirrus 2 years newer than mine, had done the same repair, knew how to attack it. The trans line crosses over the width of the car... to get access they removed the under bumper clip. He beat the estimate by an hour!

• 2 months later...

Took my 96' Jeep to jiffy Lube for service, started home and noticed it was gettin hot. I pulled over and opened the hood and had steam everywhere. They forgot to replace the radiator cap [can't figger why they took it off] screw driver and assorted hand tools left under hood. Got so hot that the valves warped. They said they would repair but I had to take it to their mechanic in Reno, Nevada. They were real sorry sob's to deal with. Finally took the jeep to my mechanic as I wanted it repaired correctly. They never paid a penney, I paid 1100.$ for the repairs. They hire unexperienced kids to do their work. Needless to say I am thru with them.

• 3 weeks later...

We have learned the hard way. After service, open the hood & look around. Be sure caps are on, oil in engine, etc. Then start it & look underneath. I once picked up the Dodge from the dealership, went up the street & hit the highway for home. I hadn't gotten a half mile (was only going 55mph) when the hood blew up, straight up. Luckily I was able to get it off the road. Dealer lied through their teeth, claimed it was a sticky cable... but when their guy came out we were able to force the hood closed AND IT LATCHED PROPERLY to drive it back to the dealer. 2 more days in the stealership & it came back with new hood hinges... and they did not fix what I took it in for!!