• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Share your RV mods...

I don't even use anti freeze when I winterize my trailer. I just blow mine out with shop air (40 psi) and run the pump for 30 seconds to get the water out of the pump. In case you are wondering, that is what the instructions said that came with the trailer new and have worked since 2005. I also have a small expansion tank on mine and the instructions said to mount it right on the pump outlet with the connection on the bottom.

• Staff

My instructions state to either blow it out or use anti-freeze. I have seen several pumps fail from just using air alone, which is why I do both. It doesn't get crazy cold here, but it will dip below 0 so I so t want to mess with it.

On my trailer the first thing inline after the pump is the low point drain so the cup of anti-freeze comes right out and doesn't contaminate the system. I only put anti-freeze in the pump for the main winterization. In between late winter trips I just blow it out, unless the forecast is for 15ish or colder.

• Owner

With the cold temperature up here I've pink anti-freeze turn solid but didn't damage any plumbing. I entered my RV the first year of owning it that winter at about -10*F and the system was professionally winterized and poked a stick at the p-trap in the tub and the anti-freeze was rock solid.  So from this point I've continued to just blow the system out. Both the water system and the p-traps.

• Owner

I look at it this way as long as there is no liquid in any pipes then it will never freeze. Because if air freezes we have new problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_air

The boiling point of liquid air is approximately 78 K (-195 °C)(-319 F), and it freezes at approximately 58 K (-215 °C)(-355 F)

• Staff

I look at it this way as long as there is no liquid in any pipes then it will never freeze. Because if air freezes we have new problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_air

The boiling point of liquid air is approximately 78 K (-195 °C)(-319 F), and it freezes at approximately 58 K (-215 °C)(-355 F)

Yeah, but you can never make it 100% liquid free. You can pull things apart to get the p traps dry, but it's easier to dump a little anti-freeze in.

I am going to guess that the professional winterization either forgot to dump anti-freeze in the sinks or they diluted their stuff to save money. There is a big difference in -50° and -10°.

Most people don't realize that anti-freeze is a misnomer. Anti-freeze WILL freeze, but it does not expand the way water does. Even if the trap was frozen solid did it need replacing the next spring?

• Staff

Yes it will freeze, but much colder than water. Anti-Freeze, not Never-Freeze.

How does it not expand?

I know that coolant (anti-freeze) will expand when it freezes and will pop blocks and radiators, how is the RV stuff not any different?

The p-trap probably didn't need replacing because it has room to expand back towards the sink and down the drain.

• Staff

I hooked up the batteries to test the shunt and put a charge on them. Well they didn't need much of a charge it took less than 5 minutes to be at 1.5A charge rate (Lifeline says they are charged when charge rate drops to 0.5A per 100 AH).

I turned the furnace on and it draws about 7.7 amps, resulting in a 0.2V drop vs the 0.5-0.7V drop on the old setup.

On the old batteries when the converter would step down the voltage from bulk to absorb to float the voltage would fall off instantly, the new batteries take a long time to drop. In fact when I went from bulk to float after 5 minutes the voltage was still about .4V above the charge rate and wasn't charging.

I think these batteries will have a lot of power, especially for winter use.

The box is close to being done. I have the support skeleton built and need to get the plywood. I went to Lowe's and was ready to get the wood and have them cut it, but their saw was broke so I need to go across town to a different one.

fac62fac0f6a6e29d6506a7c00394cf1.jpg

Those 1/2" holes are going to be the inlet for the vent. I need to test and make sure it flows, but it should.

be357b6b0ff928269c19e74f4026bf9b.jpg

35ad5a0b0a5d5c2e01539514b1efeaeb.jpg

Yeah, but you can never make it 100% liquid free. You can pull things apart to get the p traps dry, but it's easier to dump a little anti-freeze in.

I am going to guess that the professional winterization either forgot to dump anti-freeze in the sinks or they diluted their stuff to save money. There is a big difference in -50° and -10°.

At least we don't have those issues here in Florida :tongue:

• Staff

Do your new batteries not vent any toxic gas while charging?  Looks like they'll be in a living area.

Under normal operation they vent less than 2% hydrogen (4% is required for combustion), but even with that I am going to vent them.

The spot in photo #2 is directly behind the wall where the batteries are in photo #1. I need the plywood to be able to move them into place.

If you look at photo #2 you can see the 4 1/2" holes I drilled into the enclosed underbelly for fresh air inlet, I will then run a hose from the top of the box to the outside of the camper.

Where they are sitting in the photos is just for testing.

• Owner

AH64ID are you going to place a steel pan under the batteries? Even being a seal battery or AGM I would still place a steel plate or pan under the batteries for floor protection and to possibly capture any leaking electrolyte which is very rare for most sealed batteries but might happen.

I've got a really big 12v battery from a big diesel rig.  Only place I could locate it is a place like you're doing.  But it would really help with power storage.  Can I leave my two group 24 batteries on the tongue and locate this battery somewhere else without having issues?