• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

A little package came...

Alright, boys! After driving 6 hours and 261 miles later, I have made my destination! My wifes aunt is on her death bed. :banghead: Drove from Sandpoint down through Lewiston and off to Grangeville. After visiting her in the hospital, made our way from there to Kamiah. I gotta tell ya, these people are NUTS! People are driving these windy roads like its a rally car race! The stupidity! On the other hand, I had to slow down for 4 snow-plow trucks on the way down here and had to deal with cross-winds, etc. Nothing major... The lewiston grade was kinda fun... Did 70mph all the way down! Coasted that one in neutral. Had to brake a few times and it sure gotthe brakes HOT. If my truck does not need anymore TLC, the exhaust brake is next on the list! Performance was A+! I'm here at the relatives house and hand calculated with my estimated fuel consumption, to be 22.28mpg! :hyper::ahhh: Thats a 6! Yes, 6 MILE TO THE GALLON INCREASE! I've been trying to keep off the throttle as much as possible. Seems to be working good? I suppose we shall see on the way back. As everything is going to be an uphill battle... As for the oil goes, I'm gonna check it out in the morning. I will start another thread on this, but I think I got 2 oil leaks going...

Why coast in netural, keep her in gear and keep your foot on the accelerator pedal, and slowly back off and you will keep her in gear, that will work better then trying to free wheel some slopes and watching you smoke your brakes. I also am sorry to hear about your Aunts problems. Everyone has their time..:banghead:

One of the better ways to clean injectors... I just got back from dragging around the Jayco... :whistle: I pulled two grades and seen a nice toasty 1,200*F on both... Cook'em Clean! :thumbup2:

Best advice you have stated mike, when ever i want to clean the injectors i would hook up one of our heavy trailers and take her for a spin.

I put it in neutral so the drivetrain is not being parasitic to the momentum I want to gain. All the "stored" energy from descending is what I want to use to further my distance when I come off the hill so I can go fruther before I lose my speed and have to use the GO pedal again.I'd like to get my exhaust brake soon so I can use it when I need and not use the brakes, instead.How does pulling a trailer and getting the pyro's up clean the injectors? If the injectors are all coked up, thats carbon, is it not? Carbon is a great insulator... Does not make sense to me...I'm back home now. I was heavy on the pedal during my stay with some hasty trips to and fro. Kamiah to Grangeville. 45 min drives on steep grades and windy roads.All in all though, being as conservative as possible when I can, I got 19 mpg when I filled up in CDA. It was definitely a weird experience seeing my trip odometer at 450 some odd miles!ALSO, DAP set the pop pressure at 300 bar. Would there be any advantage setting them to 310 bar?As for my aunt, everyones time does come. We have made our effort to see her, and be right with her. We all know we love each other and wish the best. Although, when we were down there, she did not pass. I count on that being the last time we will see her in this life. It was hard walking away from her in the hospital knowing that.

I put it in neutral so the drivetrain is not being parasitic to the momentum I want to gain. All the "stored" energy from descending is what I want to use to further my distance when I come off the hill so I can go fruther before I lose my speed and have to use the GO pedal again.

I'd like to get my exhaust brake soon so I can use it when I need and not use the brakes, instead.

How does pulling a trailer and getting the pyro's up clean the injectors? If the injectors are all coked up, thats carbon, is it not? Carbon is a great insulator... Does not make sense to me...

I'm back home now. I was heavy on the pedal during my stay with some hasty trips to and fro. Kamiah to Grangeville. 45 min drives on steep grades and windy roads.

All in all though, being as conservative as possible when I can, I got 19 mpg when I filled up in CDA. It was definitely a weird experience seeing my trip odometer at 450 some odd miles!

ALSO, DAP set the pop pressure at 300 bar. Would there be any advantage setting them to 310 bar?

As for my aunt, everyones time does come. We have made our effort to see her, and be right with her. We all know we love each other and wish the best. Although, when we were down there, she did not pass. I count on that being the last time we will see her in this life. It was hard walking away from her in the hospital knowing that.

I haven't been able to figure that one out either. My injectors always look the same and 99% of the time I do not get above 800F. I haven't been able to figure out what exactly gets built up on the injectors that is supposed to be burnt off (as in more than the usual light coating of carbon). Mine looked the same when I pulled them after they had at least 150,000 miles on them as they did when after pulling them 5000 miles from the last cleaning. If I see an injector that is caked with carbon, put back in the truck, pull a trailer uphill for a mile at 1300F, then pull the injector and it is spotless, then I will believe it. But I have absolutely no proof that it does a thing. Apparently carbon turns into a gas at 6500F, much like dry ice. It has no liquid form. However, if carbon is a great insulator, then it isn't going to take on the heat too easily. Another thing is if it does take on that kind of heat, then the aluminum piston within the same chamber would be nonexistent a second before the carbon burned off. Also, steel melts at 2400F or so, so the valves and everything else would also be melted. In the end, the engine would be a molten pool and the carbon would still be there.

I have heard that water injection cleans everything up being that steam has that kind of cavitating cleaning effect or something. Why else would they have "steam cleaners".

If there is something I am missing, please explain!

• Owner

Same theroy as the DPF on 4th Gen trucks... All that happen to the DPF is the pores of the media get plugged up with carbon. So now Cummins adds a extra injection event (Regen Mode) dumping fuel in during the exhaust stroke getting the EGT's above 1,000*F and burns the carbon out of the media of the DPF. Carbon will burn at about 1,000*F. At least according to Cummins Service Manual for 4th Gens... :shrug:

I'll take the injectors out of my ford engine that will never see fuel again and I'll put an oxy/acetylene torch to it and figure this out once and for all. If anything is caked with carbon it has to be that thing.

ISX:While i have not pulled my injectors, i will say you need to run for more then a mile. I usually take it for a 2 or 3 hours run, and my truck seems to run better.1,100F for several hours will empty off any and all buildup.

the tar and carbon that have built up from lack of use.Im a firm believer in the cooking off theory, i know of trucks around here that do nothing but haul heavy boats for a living and they including the pistons are as clear as a bell, while if i drive my truck around at (550-600F) it has a nice carbon and tar build up.

So I pulled my ford injectors and somehow they are almost spotless. Not sure how it pulled that off. It did have some carbon and I torched it and I'm still not sure about it all. It seemed to burn it off slightly but I still think it has to get a lot hotter than 1100F. I never see any tar or carbon build up so I just don't get what there is to burn off and how the ford has hardly any is even more of a mystery. I can't say either way at this point. What I can say is that if it does work, is everyone supposed to hook onto 10,000 lbs and drive like a bat out of hell for a tank-full every month? I have a very hard time getting over 1000F so there is no way I could ever burn off this supposed carbon build up. I think there has to be a better way, though I have yet to see a problematic build up of carbon on mine.

• 3 weeks later...

Your arent going toave to burn the carbon every week or so. I move my trailer about every 3.5 months. When I took my oe injectors off with 235k on them they were pretty clean. I dont thik you cna over cook them, but I would think 3 or 4 times a year should be enough. Unless you have the oportunity to do it more often. It cant hurt them.