• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

fuel pump dripping

The fuel pump on my 01 has a drip comin out the inspection cover at about a drip every 2 seconds. I was wonderin if any1 else had experience with this and if i'd hafta puLl the pump off 2 fix it. I was told by a local diesel tec that its an alligator tooth shaped rubber seal thats leakin. Any help is appreciated!

I found a sticker on the top that said: Remanufactured R5019658AD M060107. I don't know what these numbers mean an i didnt find a tag on the pump. I gotta pic of the cover its leakin from. Picture is upside down:(

post-11557-138698185403_thumb.jpg

These OEM lift pumps (fuel pumps) are very troublesome & prone to failure. Dodge's fix was a in tank pump which was expensive & hard to service & no more reliable than the on engine pumps. The VP44 Bosch injection pump, the 24 valves are equipped with, has proven to be somewhat fragile & ultralow sulfer diesel argueably makes it worse. For these reasons, you'll find many of us have gone to higher capacity & more durable after market fuel pumps like the FASS, AirDog, or Raptor. The higher volume helps to cool the VP44 IP. Big line & more open fittings kits also help the fuel volume. Additionally many of us are running 2 cycle outboard type oil as a fuel additive to make up for the lubrication lost in the ULSD fuel. This will support more HP but more importantly improves life of vital components.Running the VP44 out of fuel because of lift pump failure is a prime cause of Injection Pump failure. If you don't like the cost of a Lift Pump, you sure are not going to like the cost of replacing BOTH the lift pump & the VP44. There is discussion of these issues on many threads.Russ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the OEM pumps really arent worth trying to fix, and as far as i know they dont make a refurb kit....the cheapest OEM style pump i have found was about $180.00 and for the extra $80.00 or so, you really should consider getting a raptor, they arent the most expensive but i love mine....

• Owner

I found a sticker on the top that said: Remanufactured R5019658AD M060107. I don't know what these numbers mean an i didnt find a tag on the pump. I gotta pic of the cover its leakin from. Picture is upside down:(

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3749&d=1331951050

Looking at that pic... That looks like the timing advance cover on the VP44... :whistle:

Posted Image

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

pulled the vp44 yesterday after orderin the o-rings from my favorite diesel injection shop. now i'll wait for it to come back so i can try it out:ahhh:. i hope theres no special trix to puttin it back on with timing it or anything.:shrug:

• 7 years later...
  • Staff

My luck says tightening the two cover bolts won't stop the leak, but hay, it can't hurt to try. I wouldn't wrench them just snug them up a little.

I've noticed a few times that the lift pump and injection pump are often confused in a discussion. It's good to be specific about which of the two are being referred to. :smart: