• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Front end popping noise?

• Owner

Ok gang...

I've now got one I need to research and figure out. I've got a random front end popping noise that is hard to reproduce. Like I seem to be able to reproduce it the most getting in the driveway because of a few tight turns I've got to make and you can feel the pop in the floor on the drivers side. I jacked up the front end and looked everything over the best I could and didn't find any damaged parts.

Last fall

[*]Ball joints

[*]Track bar

Last summer

[*]Wheel bearings

Steering is tight and good condition but there is a good pop when it does it. Now the only thing I did find is the driver side fender is torn loose from the body in 2 places. So I'm wondering if the body flexing is causing the fender pop against the body metal?

I had found on all 3 of my second gens that the lower shock mount bolts would come loose on occasion and cause this. If it was an auto tranny this was really common on all 3 also was the tranny shift linkage arm would get dry and cause this very thing but a little lube in the sockets would cure it. Other than the above statements did you check the front axle stabilizer end links ?

--- Update to the previous post...

So the bushings are replaceable on the oem arms?

Yep, Bushings are replaceable on most all things thanks to the aftermarket parts world.

• Staff

I read the polyurathane bushings squeak a lot unless you put lithium grease on them while you install them. It's the same grease for boat trailer bearings that won't wash away from road spray.

• Owner

Now that I return home from the Dyno Event in Meridian, ID I can tackle the popping noise on the truck. (No. I didn't take my truck!) But just normal driving you don't feel it at all no problems. But as soon as I turn a hard corner or like back up to turn around you'll get the pop. It feels like it right next to the driver side kick panel.

I know, nobody loves a smart @ss... figured we'd tie Mike's creaper to the front axle & have some ya-hoo drive it down the road... What???

Geez Russ... I just feel the love with that one... :lmao:

I will do the driving!:thumbup2:

Only if you'll test it out creeper ride first... :cookoo::lmao2: Well when I pull it together today I'll take the truck now to the shop and jack it up and look a little deeper into it!
  • Like 1

Don't try this at home, kids... Yas know I was only haven't fun with the head honcho! I guess hanging out the door upside down, isn't a great idea either! LOL!! Sorry guys, I guess my brain is fried... Russ

RE: creeper ride: Geez Russ... I just feel the love with that one... :lmao:

Don't try this at home, kids... Yas know I was only haven't fun with the head honcho! I guess hanging out the door upside down, isn't a great idea either! LOL!! Sorry guys, I guess my brain is fried... Russ

Isn't that how the Duke boys would do it if Cooter wasn't there to help out?:tongue:
  • Like 1