• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Looking at a possible "new to me" '05 3500 4x4

I have come upon an '05 3500 Quad Cab 4x4 with the 5.9 and 48re auto for sale. It wears the Laramie badge and has the navigation radio set up. The owner has moved to Hawaii and left the truck behind for relatives to sell.It looks really clean and has no accident history. It has had a total of two previous owners making me the third if I purchase it.It is just at 90k on the clock. I have driven it and it runs really good and goes like crazy. It has the HO engine and everything is stock expect the tires. The owner is running 285's instead of the stock 265's.There is one problem that I have identifed on this unit. The seat heaters don't work but everything else seems to work right. I don't know anything about the heaters but I did some preliminary checking and there is power in and out of the switches and the heaters in the seats don't show an open circuit. There is no blown fuse but there is no heat.So what I am concerned about is how big an issue this is likely to be to remedy the problem. The truck is currently priced at $17k. Both the NADA and KBB clearly say it is worth several thousands more than that. Sellers say it is for sale as is so I am wondering if I may have a potential $1k or $2k bill to fix this. If I have a big bill staring at me then I wouldn't have such a good deal if I bought this truck.Anyone had any experience or thoughts on what I maybe looking at on these seat heaters?The other thing I noticed is there is a large melon shape bulge in the 4 inch exhaust line just ahead of the muffler. I am guessing this truck must have catalytic converter on it but the strange thing about it is that there are no probes any where in the exhaust system to monitor the exhaust emissions. So I am wondering if this bulge is really a CAT. How would you know if it is working or not or needs to be replaced. On my car there is an O2 sensor before and after the CAT monitoring it's performance and telling me when the emissions get out of whack. So could this bulge really be a CAT and does it ever need to be serviced and how are you supposed to know that?Any knowledge on this would be helpful.The last thing that I have seen is that the navigation system (RB4 model) is very unsophisticated. No moving map like most GPS use today. It only has directional (arrows) output like you would have on written output. I would like to know if it is possible to replace that model of navigation radio with one of the more useful versions of indash navigation systems ( Ram or other aftermarket). Has anyone had any experience or input in doing that?Thanks for any thoughts you might be able to pass my way.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I am still looking at this truck.Thanks for the info about the cat.This brings two questions to mind: how do you know when the things is going bad and needs to be replaced; and if you decide to remove it do you know if the emission testing people will even allow your truck to be tested because the cat is removed. Emission testing is now required up here in Ada and Canyon counties or you can't get your truck licensed.

• Staff

Yes, I am still looking at this truck. Thanks for the info about the cat. This brings two questions to mind: how do you know when the things is going bad and needs to be replaced; and if you decide to remove it do you know if the emission testing people will even allow your truck to be tested because the cat is removed. Emission testing is now required up here in Ada and Canyon counties or you can't get your truck licensed.

I didn't realize you were here in the Treasure Valley. I don't have my cat, but also have yet to receive an emissions notice :-) Aside from poor performance from excessive back pressure I am not sure you can tell when they fail.

There's not much to be gained (performance wise) by removing the kitty on this era of our trucks. Moreso especially if you live in an area with emission checks and such.

If that bad boy is as clean and priced like you say; git 'er done and buy it!!!:smart:

• Staff

There's not much to be gained (performance wise) by removing the kitty on this era of our trucks. Moreso especially if you live in an area with emission checks and such.

Exactly, 2-4rwhp is what I have read. The main reason I removed mine is because the cat was designed with stock soot/EGT levels in mind. With my Smarty I have increased soot and decreased EGT's, so I am not sure the cat would stay as clean that way.

Have to report that I bit the bullet and purchased this truck. Still don't know anything about the seat heater problem but I guess now I get to find out.Will pick it up tomorrow and stop by the DMV and pay my dues!Boy the 3rd gens are quieter than my 2nd gen. Hardly sounds like a diesel when you fire it up and drive down the road.Now I will have to pay more attention to the things I need to learn about the third gen.

• 3 weeks later...

I have come upon an '05 3500 Quad Cab 4x4 with the 5.9 and 48re auto for sale. It wears the Laramie badge and has the navigation radio set up. The owner has moved to Hawaii and left the truck behind for relatives to sell. It looks really clean and has no accident history. It has had a total of two previous owners making me the third if I purchase it. It is just at 90k on the clock. I have driven it and it runs really good and goes like crazy. It has the HO engine and everything is stock expect the tires. The owner is running 285's instead of the stock 265's. There is one problem that I have identifed on this unit. The seat heaters don't work but everything else seems to work right. I don't know anything about the heaters but I did some preliminary checking and there is power in and out of the switches and the heaters in the seats don't show an open circuit. There is no blown fuse but there is no heat. So what I am concerned about is how big an issue this is likely to be to remedy the problem. The truck is currently priced at $17k. Both the NADA and KBB clearly say it is worth several thousands more than that. Sellers say it is for sale as is so I am wondering if I may have a potential $1k or $2k bill to fix this. If I have a big bill staring at me then I wouldn't have such a good deal if I bought this truck. Anyone had any experience or thoughts on what I maybe looking at on these seat heaters? The other thing I noticed is there is a large melon shape bulge in the 4 inch exhaust line just ahead of the muffler. I am guessing this truck must have catalytic converter on it but the strange thing about it is that there are no probes any where in the exhaust system to monitor the exhaust emissions. So I am wondering if this bulge is really a CAT. How would you know if it is working or not or needs to be replaced. On my car there is an O2 sensor before and after the CAT monitoring it's performance and telling me when the emissions get out of whack. So could this bulge really be a CAT and does it ever need to be serviced and how are you supposed to know that? Any knowledge on this would be helpful. The last thing that I have seen is that the navigation system (RB4 model) is very unsophisticated. No moving map like most GPS use today. It only has directional (arrows) output like you would have on written output. I would like to know if it is possible to replace that model of navigation radio with one of the more useful versions of indash navigation systems ( Ram or other aftermarket). Has anyone had any experience or input in doing that? Thanks for any thoughts you might be able to pass my way.

You can get new heaters at Genos for 60.00 each
  • Like 1

Thanks for that info. I haven't dug into the problem yet but I will keep Geno's in mind if the problem is the heater element.I made my trip to Portland and back. Got 20.8 mpg (hand calculated) going and got 19.5mpg on the return trip.This is about 1mpg less than my 2nd gen on a comparable trip to Portland. Knowing that the 3rd gen is heavier than my 2nd gen and that the wheels and tires are different (265x17 vs 245x16) and the rear end ratio is different (3.73 vs 3.55) I am not feeling to bad about the mileage so far.

When I bought my 06, I asked the dealer mechanics about the cat and he said your exhaust temp will be slowly increasing when it is going out. Bu that the cat will take a very long time to go sour, if ever. The temp of the exhaust should keep it clean. Now that's what they said, I have not checked the manuals or reports yet, I don't even have 100k on mine. They also said in states that you have to smog, you better keep it on during the testing phase, since the laws usually read it's a manufactures normal exhaust installation to need the epa laws and usually will not pass without it. That's why I'm glad I live in a no smog area.I seen a write up on another site about the heater seat units. They are said to be simple. Just the replacing the heat element unit 'in' the seat is a bit of an issue handling it. It's been quite a while since I seen the write up, but I'll look for you soon, just to late tonight.The mileage sounds solid for the year, but I haven't heard of others in this year range getting very much better.Sound and looks like you made a winner of a selection. Congrats.