• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Adding Forward turn signal lights?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, It happened again... a week ago in heavy traffic on a narrow road, some @sshole I could not see in my passenger's bind spot. I had my turn signal on for a couple of minutes, it seemed clear so I tried to moved over gradually. It's really hard to make a right hand turn from the left lane!! The @ss hole leaned on his horn when I started to get close, then pulled ahead... the passenger hung out the window and yelled obsenities & the driver flipped me off a couple of times. (The horn was warrented... the rest of the actions proves how ignorant they are.) I presume that they had enough overlap that they could not see my turn signal. I think they were under my mirror. I might have been able to see them in my spot mirrors but with the narrow lanes, I couldn't take my eyes off the road for long enough to study them. I really hate driving in congested areas. So I'm back to the idea of pinch weld LEDs lights. I would not desire wheel to wheel lights, but spaced at intervals... every couple of feet say.

I've often thought of getting lights to put behind the rear wheel wells on the rub strip that would match the dually clearance lights. I've also often though of making that front dually clearance light blink with the signals.

I'd rather have lights down low at the running board level but I want to match the clearance light location for appearance's sake.

I smack my mirrors on branches often enough that I wouldn't have front-of-mirror lights last, and I wouldn't want bottom-of-mirror lights glaring in my eyes with the 4 ways on while backing trailers. I'm very happy with the marker lights I put on my goose, and people DO see the fender mounted signals on the trailer and get out of the way which is great. If they're sitting next to the truck though, the lack of side signal there definitely is a bother.

Best picture I've got of the trailer markers. They look great but make the truck look awful dim by comparison. Roughly every 6' I think.

Posted Image

You're talking about dimming lights for blinking - it's much simpler to just make them blink. Wire one side to the running lights and the other side to the bright light. Both of those circuits are grounded when not energized, and most if not all LED marker lights have circuitry inside so they don't need to be in any given polarity.

When your running lights are off, the bright side will ground through that and light the light.

When your running lights are on, they are grounding through the bright side and the light will turn off when the bright side lights (+12 to +12). Very simple.

You'll want to grab from the front half of the truck, everything in trailer wiring and tail lights has brake involved as well. It'll look a little funny to have both sides of your truck light up when you hit the brakes.

• Like 1

Russ, I had the same problem with my truck and fiver. Anyone beside me could not see any turn signal. What I did was put the semi lights (clearance/turnsignal) on the front of the fiver just behind the truck, put LED arrow lights on the mirrors (got them at K-Mart for about $5). The only problem I had with them was figuring out how to make them work for turn signals only. I wound up putting relays in to run them. They would not run off the signal itself. I don't understand how the signal power for the front lights would run a relay but not the LEDs. Anyhow, I have since added a headache rack with lights too!

• Like 1

I would like to have turn / marker lights... as little cost as possible of course. Since I want to do the pinch seam, I think I need narrow lights. I'm getting cross-eyed reading ads for LED marker lights. Some don't tell you the wiring. Some are mount grounded or are 2 wire with a ring terminal or state "must be grounded", so I'm going to assume the people know what they are talking about & they are not compatable with power on 2 leads. The 3 wire lights, I'm sure would do the job but are twice as costly. If someone has actual brand names that worked, this would help. I don't want to order a batch of lights without testing them...

I got my lights from etrailer. http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Lights-sf-Clearance_Lights-hs-Rectangle.aspx I run the AL91RB and AL91AB in grounded mounts on the trailer for the small marker lights. Those lights can run in either polarity. Etrailer only seems to list grounded mounts for them - at least right at hand in the 'related products' area, but I know non-grounded mounts do exist, or those could be easily modified. The MCL75RB and MCL75AB match the fender clearance and ID lights on 2nd gen trucks. Likewise on the grounded mounts. Something like the MCL13A2B/MCL13R2B may be more of what you're after, but they do not mention if they are reversable polarity - The first model I pointed out doesn't mention that as a feature either; I don't know how standard that is. A phone call would probably answer that for you though.

• Like 1

Thanks Michael,Prices seem in line with what I've seen but the information is much clearer. I've used their contact us link to ask it the polarity can be reversed. There is a huge thread (over 80 pages) over on CF Re "Chicken Lights... which includes descriptions using 5 pin relays or resistors & diodes to make combo running / turn lights out of single wire lights... it might be "better" or it might be "plan B". I'm still trying to get a grip on this.Again, I appreciate the help & specific model numbers are a big boost.Russ

There is a huge thread (over 80 pages) over on CF Re "Chicken Lights... which includes descriptions using 5 pin relays or resistors & diodes to make combo running / turn lights out of single wire lights...

That seems pretty Rube Goldberg to me when there's such a much simpler solution :smart:

I have been searching for LEDs for both the truck & toyhauler trailer (might as well do both). I've found a good 3 wire Turn / Clearance light for the trailer. It's 2" x 6", 8 LEDs. http://www.empirechromeshop.com/p-7937-amber-2-x-6-rectangular-8-diode-led-flush-mount-markerclearanceturn-signal-light.aspx It is only listed in amber... but I emailed Empire Chrome and they stated that Red would be available 7-10-11. I can wait 2 weeks! These dual function lights are much less costly than competitive 2 function lights.

I don't want 2" wide lights for the truck pinch weld but have not experimented with the narrow lights yet. The sources I messaged insist that the 2 wire lights will not function as combo lights. I know it can be made to happen with resistors &/or relays so (worst case) I could just buy them & if necessary put together the electronics.

Russ

Now that I've decided on the turn/markers for the toyhauler... I want to mount them along the lower edge of the siding. The underneath is enclosed in a tough "painted fabric" which I suppose aids the airflow. How would YOU route the wiring? How do I get the wiring to come out under the trailer?

• 2 weeks later...

I'd tap in from the tail lights and run forward from there - it's likely the only place you can steal the "bright" side from anyway.I'm sure there are some crossmembers to throw wire clips on. If they face the wrong way, as they probably do, use a zip tie and a wire clip.

• Like 1

I think I have a good place to tap the TRAILER lights as the previous owner had a huge (5x6) rear cargo carrier... I declined to take it... but it slid (3 strong men) into 3 reciever hitches... and WAS FULLY LIGHTED. The lights connected to a trailer plug in the trailer below the ramp. I'd pull the plug and use it as a junction point. I'm waiting to order the trailer lights as the RED version of the turn/marker light I selected should be available shortly. I think I'll add a lower tail/stop/turn (wired the same) while I'm at it, as the OEM lights are pretty high. I'm still undecided on the side turns for the truck... which I still want, maybe 6 per side spaced wheel well to wheel well...

Like Mike said and was my first suggestion, was motorcycle fairing lights under the mirrors. Sorry cant see pics at work. BUT if you have the factory tow mirrors on the bottom should work. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/70/7303/ITEM/Bikemaster-Universal-Flush-Mount-Marker-Light-Kit.aspx and here is a good way to hook them up: http://dsl.torque.net/tech/markerflash/markerflash.html OH still be careful. I swear some people think a flashing turn signal means to pace next to you. :banghead: When they do that I tend to send smoke signals to them. :whistle: OH forgot about this site for LEDs.: http://www.superbrightleds.com/ Just a thought, what about some of Mike's airplane landing lights under the mirrors lighting up your blind spot, then with the turn signals on it should flush out any pacers.......:lol:

• Like 1

I added amber LEDs lights to my mirrors and 4 amber LEDs above my side steps 2 on each side. right now there just running lights cause there 2wire I havent figured out how to make 2wire into 3wire so I can them as turn signals also. LEDs do take less amps and your turn signals will flash faster, just add a load resistor and it will go back to normal. So since we're on the subject anyone know how to make a 2wire into a 3wire ? :confused:

Here's how, provided they are 12VDC LEDs.. I've done this numerous times on different cars.. post-10339-138698179056_thumb.png
  • Like 1

Russ, I built a custom from bumper for my dually a few years ago, an I wanted to have 4 led lights on each side to flash when I turned the signals on! What I did was on a 2 wire led light was I ran the positive to the park light, and the neg or ground to turn signal! Here is a pic of the truck with just park lights on!

• Like 1