• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Help With Bad Idle

I have a 1998.5 5.9 24 valve dodge 2500 diesel. Recently had the transfer pump replaced then right after it started having a bad/missing idle in park but only when truck is warmed up. I replaced O rings between transfer pump and oil filter housing, changed fuel filter and cleaned air filter. Any suggestions on the bad idle?

• Owner

Might be a mild air leak from the lift pump change. You could air some pressure to the fuel tank and have a second personal crawl around under the truck looking for damp spots. It might be dirty injectors... :shrug:http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/25-fuel-system/62-injector-cleaning

• Owner

You will have to remove the nozzle and see if the pintle slides good. With over 100k, a new set wouldnt be a bad idea.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to sit down with a digital caliper and measure all the parts and see how tight/loose they are. Like my little cheapy calipers do measure down to 1/10 of a thousandth.

• 2 weeks later...

Rough idle is often due to air bubbles in the fuel on the suction side of the lift pump. First Gens were easy to diagnose by putting very temporary clear plastic PCV tubing on the return line. Should not have bubbles. Best location is after the drain T for the injectors. 2nd Gen and later requires creativity to fit tubing.

I would like to start by saying thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions. I ended pulling the injectors and found a shop that would pop test them for free, they weren't up to standard so I had them rebuilt and my problem was solved. Moparman I will be in contact to help the cause when I am able very soon

• Like 1