• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

For the first time since I started driving..

AH64ID

• Staff

I don't have a vehicle payment!It all started just before I turned 16 and bought a '66 T-Bird from my grandfather, and it ended at 9:53 this morning when I passed the last Benjamin to the clerk at the bank to pay the truck off!It's a nice feeling.

And then there is something even better that I absolutely love.When you start putting that same amount you were paying for several years into savings " You are living without it already so you won't miss it" and then go in and pay cash for the next vehicle! Nothing like seeing the looks on faces when they hear you have cash to pay outright for a vehicle or any other capital purchase.:thumb1:I guess it is unheard of anymore.My grandpa built up a 7k acre farm on one single principle.If you can't afford it you don't need it, and I am finding more truth in that the older I get.This is why the country and world is in the trouble it is in now, people do not know the difference between needs and wants.

• Like 1

• Staff

Yeah, we have been paying double on the truck for a while and now shifting that payment to the 2nd on our house. I personally don't mind buying some things on credit, but haven't paid an interest charge on a credit card in a decade. We also haven't carried any loan full term, ever. Once the 2nd it paid off it will go to the bank for the next rig to purchase, if I can talk the wife into the plan I have well be able to put at least 1/2 down when she needs a new rig.

Same here I only use the CC to build up flyer miles for vacation travel, never carry a balance.I have never taken a single loan out to term either.I paid my 30 year house loan off in 9 years, I worked a ton of OT for about 5 years and put it all into paying it off.That was the best feeling ever.But now I am on a fixed income "Salary" since I decided to get into management, no more hourly OT for this guy whenever I wanted to work it.

• Owner

And then there is something even better that I absolutely love. When you start putting that same amount you were paying for several years into savings " You are living without it already so you won't miss it" and then go in and pay cash for the next vehicle! Nothing like seeing the looks on faces when they hear you have cash to pay outright for a vehicle or any other capital purchase.:thumb1: I guess it is unheard of anymore. My grandpa built up a 7k acre farm on one single principle. If you can't afford it you don't need it, and I am finding more truth in that the older I get. This is why the country and world is in the trouble it is in now, people do not know the difference between needs and wants.

We do the same thing... Like for example we use to have DirectTV and paid about $56 per month fo TV. So 8-9 years ago we decided to yank out the DirectTV because we we'll did watch it anymore. So MoparMom and I continue to pay the bill like it still comes on the mail. But that what we use for good time fund for the traveling with the RV.

This is why the country and world is in the trouble it is in now, people do not know the difference between needs and wants.

So very true... Living out here in the back country of Idaho you relize really quick what is a NEED and a WANT. I've gotten used to the simpler life style and have no problems with it.

For the first time since I started driving.. I don't have a vehicle payment!

Congrads... :thumbup2:

The credit card perks are too nice not to use. Just in the last 3 months we have gotten over $1800 in rewards, free money!

You must be the only one I know who realizes that as well. I buy everything with credit cards, I have 4. Each one has a different benefit and I strategize which to use on even a $1 purchase. I pay them all off each month and have never paid a dime in interest. I make tons on rewards. It baffles me to no end how people can't figure out that the $100 a week in purchases could be purchased with a credit card and add up to thousands of rewards at the end of the year, completely free. I don't think it takes any kind of advanced logic to see that you can buy the same stuff you currently buy with cash, but with a credit card, and make money, lots of money. Instead they read "minimum payment on $1000 balance is $10" so they only pay $10. I know tonss of people who swore off credit cards because they just went nuts with them. I don't know where on the card it says "buy whatever you want and don't worry about the debt" but apparently the majority of the population sees that. They would all go nuts if I showed them how I get 20 cents off every gallon. Then there is the incentive of getting $150 free for getting a credit card and spending $1500 with it in the first 3 months, which you make rewards on that $1500 as well. Get the credit card, spend $1500 on bills you already pay and then chop the card up and have $150 free :spend:

Congrats! Wow! I didn't think there were so many out there that did the same thing. Most people after paying off a bill look at it in the sense "now I have money for a new payment!" So much nicer to know that the majority of my paycheck goes to ME and not a bank!

Ok ISX you've got me too curious now not to ask:whistle:

Diesel is $4 a gallon and I get 5% cash back on it. 5% of $4 is 20 cents. There is no fine print to this. Credit card companies make money off of the people that don't pay their card off (20% interest on their debt) and they charge companies money when we use it. In other words, gas stations get charged to use a credit card which is a payment to the credit card company, which they pay back to us as an incentive. Actually I guess there is some fine print, you only get 5% for 6 months out of the year and 1% the other 6 months, though I have another credit card that gives me 2% cash back all year. The fact is, it's free money.

It's all in the early learning of the "Want / Need Factors" in life.Sad that most people never learn this and have nothing when the senior years of their lives arrive. I thank God this was pounded into my head as a kid.

It truly is a great feeling to be "debt-free".:thumbup2::thumbup2:Only mandatory payments I have are credit cards(business mainly), electric, natural gas, internet, various insurances, license plates and property tax. House, truck, boat, work trailer etc. are all mine!!!:thumbup2:Good deal for you!!! Those payments weigh on you.....:spend::spend::spend::broke::ahhh: