• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Mopar severe duty fuel filter kit

• Staff

I'll try to elaborate more tomorrow, but the filtered pumps aren't generally all they are advertised to be, and it's pretty easy to exceed their ratings (thou they are better than they were a few years ago). The Mopar kit is okay, and it's big perk is the heater, but again not hard to match.

I'm short on time tonight, but I'll post some spec's tomorrow.

--- Update to the previous post...

Alright, I have a few minutes to go into a little more detail.

Essentially the VP,P-Pump,VE trucks are not nearly as sensitive to fuel as the CR trucks are, so if you build anything non-CR with a CR acceptable fuel system you are in killer shape.

The goal is to have at least 95% free water removal, 95% emulsified water removal, and 5um absolute filtration.

The AD does not meet this out of the box, but can be made to (under most circumstances). The FASS Platinum meets this, as does the Titanium, the FASS HD is thought to meet this, but is hard to confirm as the final filter is a hydraulic filter and is rated multi-pass and not single pass like a fuel filter should be.

The AD can have the f/w sep filter changed and meet the f/w sep goals up thru 120 GPH, and is 5um up thru 60 GPH, so when WOT, or towing, your run the risk of exceeding your flow rating on your filters with a 150 GPH pump, and even a 100 GPH pump with the OE 5um filter.

There aren't any filters that match the 150 GPH rating, but under most conditions the pumps FASS/AD are not pushing anywhere near that much fuel.

Personally I would build a system based on the needs of your motor and not going bigger just because you can.

Clear as mud?

I'll try to elaborate more tomorrow, but the filtered pumps aren't generally all they are advertised to be, and it's pretty easy to exceed their ratings (thou they are better than they were a few years ago). The Mopar kit is okay, and it's big perk is the heater, but again not hard to match.

I'm short on time tonight, but I'll post some spec's tomorrow.

--- Update to the previous post...

Alright, I have a few minutes to go into a little more detail.

Essentially the VP,P-Pump,VE trucks are not nearly as sensitive to fuel as the CR trucks are, so if you build anything non-CR with a CR acceptable fuel system you are in killer shape.

The goal is to have at least 95% free water removal, 95% emulsified water removal, and 5um absolute filtration.

The AD does not meet this out of the box, but can be made to (under most circumstances). The FASS Platinum meets this, as does the Titanium, the FASS HD is thought to meet this, but is hard to confirm as the final filter is a hydraulic filter and is rated multi-pass and not single pass like a fuel filter should be.

The AD can have the f/w sep filter changed and meet the f/w sep goals up thru 120 GPH, and is 5um up thru 60 GPH, so when WOT, or towing, your run the risk of exceeding your flow rating on your filters with a 150 GPH pump, and even a 100 GPH pump with the OE 5um filter.

There aren't any filters that match the 150 GPH rating, but under most conditions the pumps FASS/AD are not pushing anywhere near that much fuel.

Personally I would build a system based on the needs of your motor and not going bigger just because you can.

Clear as mud?

So is the stock filter good enough for the vp pumps? I thought about doing something differant, but wont if the stock one will cut it.

• Staff

So is the stock filter good enough for the vp pumps? I thought about doing something differant, but wont if the stock one will cut it.

On a 00-02 you can use a 3rd gen PF7977 and be good. On 98.5-99 you really need to get a different filter in there with any aftermarket pump because the OEM filter is only rated at 24 GPH, so the best thing would be to add a AD or FASS (just make sure the filters are up to par).