• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Got a CEL today.......................

• Owner

Thanks for the replies. Anyone have more info on the wire that gets rubbed? I'd hate to have to change that sensor if it's just a wire. I had a hard enough time getting one out with the engine out of the truck.

Other than what he's posted... That article should go through the testing of the wiring... :wink:

Well, she let me sit today. Crank but no start. Had Dad tow me home and got it in the shop and thought i'd try one more time and it fired right up. Funny thing is there where no codes.:shrug:. I'm changing out the sensor now, got lucky and this one actually came out in one piece. Hope my luck continues and fixes the problem. Guess I'll know for sure when it lets me sit again.......................or not.

• 2 months later...

Saw this post a while ago and thought I would share my experience...For 3 years I was having random brief stalls on my 98.5 Ram 2500 5.9 24V ISB like turning the ignition off and on within a split second. It drove me nuts! No one was able to figure it out and no codes were setting. Over the years I've tried replacing the crank sensor and having the VP44 tested. The VP44 was fine, but it did have a crank sensor code set. Also tried replaing the intake air temp sensor thinking maybe the timing signal was off based on temp to the ECM.Well, finally the problem got so bad that the tach was bouncing or dropping completely and the truck bucked and stalled like injectors were shutting down. It finally began setting a p0336 code. After 12 hours of diagnosic time (swapping ECMs, replacing the CPS again and road tests without curing the issue) the problem was determined to be the engine wiring harness and specifically the wire from the CPS to the ECM. A new bypass wire has been permanently installed between the CPS and the ECM. So far, it looks like the probelm has been solved.I've seen many posts about p0336 codes, tachs bouncing and bad CPS's, but none regarding the wiring harness until seeing this thread. Hopefully this will help someone else out there with a similar issue.

• Like 1