• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

They are a good company. The thing to look at is weight of trailer, vs. the way it's built. it will be posted on the data plate. If it weighs more than 4500-5000 lbs it's over built. You won't tear it up, but you can't haul as much.Look at brake size and axle manufacturer. Dexter is one of the best.

• Owner

I'll agree Dexter axles are a very good quality and common to find parts. :thumbup2:As for the trailer he right again you want a strong trailer but you don't want it so over built that carrying capacity is reduced because it pure weight. Consider the loads you plan on hauling first what kind of GCW are you looking at? Then find a trailer that is capable of handling that load with some margin of error.

I see they have 24 inch on center cross members which from my experience is too far apart. Try and stick with a trailer with 16-18 inch on center or less crossmembers otherwise you will develop holes in the decking if you haul heavy stuff. 24 inches allows too much flex in the wood planks. The suspension is another big issue also torsion is best.

Here is a pic of an overbuilt 14K GN. This company builds every trailer the same, all they change is the axels. This same frame would be used for their 24K trailer just different axels. This trailer is 5500 pounds empty.Notice the 12-19 I beams, on the neck. It's the same size as the frame, which is too heavy for this size and weight class. 12-19 means this beam weighs 19 lbs per foot lenght.

post-11640-138698185804_thumb.jpg

Both of those trailers are tight on the distance between fenders. Having a low trailer is great for loading and unloading until you have something that won't fit between the fenders. Depending on your intended needs they are a bit on the short side as well. You can have a trailer that's too short and one that's too long, but you can never, have enough trailer.

• 2 weeks later...

I see they have 24 inch on center cross members which from my experience is too far apart. Try and stick with a trailer with 16-18 inch on center or less crossmembers otherwise you will develop holes in the decking if you haul heavy stuff. 24 inches allows too much flex in the wood planks. The suspension is another big issue also torsion is best.

On the first item I agree, with wood decking 24" on center is an awful long span.

On your second item I could not disagree more. If you're getting a real trailer, get real springs. Torsion axles do not load equalize and if your trailer and tow rig are not set up PERFECTLY you WILL be loading one axle more than the other depending on trailer slope. Slipper springs may not ride quite as cushy, especially when empty, but for a heavy duty trailer I would never use anything else. They distribute the load equally between all axles regardless of the attitude of the trailer which is CRITICAL to tire life, and important for braking, handling, bearings life, etc. :smart:

My friends and I do a LOT of towing, and have spent a LOT of time on the roadside changing blown out rear tires on enclosed trailers sitting nose-up behind their tow rigs, even when not loaded terribly heavy.

----------------

My 36' low deck open center gooseneck car trailer is a Kaufman. The diamond plate steel decking has sagged badly from mildly poor design and heavy loading by the previous owner (there are no cross members under the decking, it's just welded to the steel frame on each side). The cracked and needed to be reinforced on one side where the double stack channel ends ahead of the axles. The factory fenders rusted out at about 8 years old, and I replaced them with fabricated drive-over fenders made from 10" junior channel. It was very under-lit from the factory, but IMO most trailers are and that's a pretty easy fix. It has Dexter 7k axles under it with slipper springs, and the PO upgraded from 16s to 19.5s, load range F. The factory wiring was very nicely done, and on the whole the trailer has been a very good piece of equipment for me. I don't know that a similar trailer from another more expensive manuf would have been any better. I'd definitely buy Kaufman again.

--- Update to the previous post...

This is my trailer:

http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/heavy-equipment-trailer-store/Kaufman-Trailers-Catalog/Gooseneck-Car-Trailers/14,000-GVWR---36-ft.-Gooseneck-Two-Car-Trailer-p69.html

As for deck width - if you're going low deck, you don't have much of a choice. You pretty much get 82" or you go to a deckover. fender/tire clearance and all. With an open-back fender you can probably get 83 or 84...

Too bad their (Kaufman) website is tanked.. Link Fatal Error's out on me..

Fatal error: Access denied for user 'integris_support'@'marietta.websitewelcome.com' (using password: YES) in /home/kaufman/public_html/heavy-equipment-trailer-store/lib/framework/BaseDAO.class.php on line 74

Thanks for all the replies guys. I ordered my trailer last week and ended up going with the Kaufman 22 ft ,15000 GVWR gooseneck Deluxe with spring loaded ramps, 16" centers and sealed harness. Hopefully it will be hitting the Canadian border sometime first of May:thumbup2:

• 4 weeks later...

Nice looking trailer. What kind of load capacity does it have and did that giant finger in the last picture crush your rig?

:lmao2:Oops! It has a 15000 load capacity.Looking it over a bit yesterday, i'm very happy with the quality of it, looks like they did a nice job building it.