• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

We can see you lurking about Mopar1973Man.Com reading articles and reading other member's posts. Are you trying to solve a problem with your Dodge / Ram Turbo Diesel Cummins? We have lots of helpful members and staff on the Mopar1973Man.Com and are willing to give guidance on how to fix or improve your truck. Sorry, we are a subscription website now. We are not corporate owned like many of the other websites out there. Like Cummins Forum (VerticalScope Inc.). Mopar1973Man.Com is entirely privately owned and operated since 2004. Your subscription funds goes towards server maintenance and software maintenance. We happen to be one of the most friendliest and helpful websites  for Cummins Owners in the world. Come join us and register and then pick a subscription plan.

• Administrator

Or the field lead (green in the 2nd gens) on the alternator is shorted to ground. This would cause a wild runaway alternator. Or a possible voltage regulator problem (inbedded in the PCM 2nd Gen)AH64ID is the best man to answer this...

Most commonly this issue is due to a bad/loose crossover cable. The alternator hooks up directly to the pass battery, but the ECM monitors temp and voltage at the drivers battery. I would check the cable and the temp sensor (under the drivers battery), voltage of 14-15 is normal, my high voltage alarm is at 15.2 and will go off on occasion when the grids cycle off. Always replace batteries in pairs, or you may be replacing the new one with the other one in short order.

• Like 1

My brother had a run away alt on a Dodge Colt. It was smoking when he got to the shop at the marina. We got the hood up... everything was too hot to touch. It had fried the battery but good... We disconnected the battery cables with bolt cutters & set the battery on the ground. It was still too hot to handle 3 days later. Eventually, the battery cooled off enough to scrap. A new alt/regulator, an Exide Battery from our stock, a few cable ends & he was good to go. I've never seen anything like it. We thought that the regular might have stuck on, put out full power contineously, boiled all the water out of the battery until it failed, shorting internally which was why it stayed hot. (My Dad had been in electronics... started at Philco... which was originally Philadelphia Storage Battery Co http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philco )