• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Crank seal

Okay guys, I been looking online and off to find something to address my crank seal problem. I have not tore into the truck yet to see whats going on. But I would rather get equipped with the necessary parts just in case. Nothing worse than opening things up and taking the time to do it and by the time you realize you need something, the stores are closed!So, I have been looking into the repair sleeve that goes onto the crank. It goes by the common name of speedy(i) sleeve.I found that cummins makes one to address this problem. I also found that O'reilly's makes a kit to address this as well.The cummins one on puredieselpower is like $114. I can't find it now, but I saw before as well that the wear ring itself was like $96.O'reilly's kit is like $15 or so. If I could find the images, I would post them.I dunno, but if I use either of these sleeves, will that require me to have use a different seal? The O'reilly's one is a thinner sleeve. Cummins' looked thicker.At any rate, does anyone have any experience or knowledge about this issue?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I suppose no one here is interested in this much? No replies... :banghead:Okay, so maybe if someone does have any wisdom on this, I need help. If pictures are needed I can muster them up.I went to O'reilly's and had to buy another timing cover gasket set. It has the crank seal in the package amongst other things needed for the timing cover set. Its a better price than buying the seal itself. Also comes with a lifetime warranty, when you remember to keep the receipt!Its a fel-pro kit. It has the crank seal, and a metal thing and a plastic sleeve. The instructions are very vague.Instead of buying a speedi-sleeve kit from cummins, they offered one at half the price. It also allows me to use a stock size seal. I think the cummins sleeve does not allow you to use the stock size sleeve.I'm reaalllly confused about what goes on the crank for sealing it... Does anyone have any idea??????I was reading some stuff earlier, and I dunno if previously I did not use all the parts needed to do the crank seal, or if it was just too much blowby going on when my injectors were no good. It does not seem that it is leaking from the area very much. If I let the truck sit overnight in a spot, there will not even be any drips on the ground, but I can smell burnt oil when I park after driving, though.

from what i have read on replacing the seal on the rear of the engine, after removing everything to get to the seal, many have used a small drill bit to put a small hole at 9 and 3 o'clock and put small metal screws in these holes to remove old seal as it is a b!tch to remove and you DONT want to damage the surfaces. once it is removed clean everything up nicely inspect for surface defects and if none you put the "install collar and seal" on the crank itself then using the supplied tool drive it in to the proper depth. then you remove the install collar (prevents damage to seal face) and you are good to go. As far as a speedy sleeve i have no info on it but if the crank surface isnt grooved you shouldnt need one as the new seal may sit in a different spot and provide a good seal. hope this helps! http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?t=202854

WWW.ROCKAUTO.COM

FEL-PRO Part # BS40650 Rear Main Seal Set $30.79

Type: Rear Main Seal Set; PTFE Rubber; One-piece; Improved design; Rear

http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/getimage.php?imagekey=447495&imageurl=http%3A//info.rockauto.com/Fel-Pro/BS40650_TOP.jpg

FEL-PRO Part # 16274 $8.72

Use w/installation tool

http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/getimage.php?imagekey=1021375&imageurl=http%3A//info.rockauto.com/Fel-Pro/16274_TOP.jpg

• Like 1

No sorry guys, this is NOT the rear seal. This is the crank seal having to do at the timing cover location.I'm gonna wait until I get laid off from my job in probably a couple weeks and will probably post up a thread on the subject...

Whichever seal forntor rear, which you did say front seal, if the surface the seal rests on is not damaged I dont see that you would need the repair sleeve. The surface the seal is rubbing is going to be very shiney, just dont mistake that for damage.

Whichever seal forntor rear, which you did say front seal, if the surface the seal rests on is not damaged I dont see that you would need the repair sleeve. The surface the seal is rubbing is going to be very shiney, just dont mistake that for damage.

Correct, I agree. Often a leaky seal is due to it just getting old and drying out, which in turn, causes it to shrink a little sometimes, and cause the leak..