• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ubuntu/Linux/...

ISX

I want to try this thing out. I have a separate hard drive with windows 8 on it that I will gladly format. Can't believe what a joke 8 is. I am not that good with software related crap so if anyone wants to see how it's done (by means of someone who isnt very computer savvy) then watch this thread as I will post screenshots and stuff (if I can figure out how). Maybe I am just setting myself up for disaster but I don't think I have anything to lose. I am big on a fancy interface though.. If I wanted it to look like windows 95 I woulda kept windows 95. So I am currently downloading it from here and then I will throw it on a USB stick. Stay tuned.

• Owner

Between Rogan and myself I cand guide you to getting setup with Ubuntu Linux... I highly suggest you get x64 workstation not the x64 Server. As a noob you'll want to use the graphical interface a bit more till you get you feet wet with the terminal screen. Most everything is done a terminal windows kind of like a DOS box. But with lots more power. The other fact is in Linux you are not setup as a Admin (root). Your setup as a user so all the high power functions as disable like installing software etc. Now Ubuntu is good about software because you can search there software database and it will install it for you. If you have call me I'll guide you in Linux... :thumbup2:

(Posted with Ubuntu / Firefox) :woot:

I'll have to post more on it later. It's REALLLLLLLLLY smooth. I can't believe I haven't ditched windows long ago. It really isn't much of a change. I'll get a video of it tomorrow or something so everyone can see cause I never thought I would be able to switch but geeeez this thing is just so simple. Theres things that are different and some people might not get but if you can pick up on things you will find out it places them in better spots. I'll get more detailed tomorrow. As of now I don't see it being switched back over to windows :woot:

• Owner

Here is a few tidbit passed down form Rogan... Find your terminal program and get to know it... ls -lh (Directory list of the current folder) pwd (Current folder) cd (change directory) sudo (super user or root) Then how to deal with folder is easy using TAB key. so it would be cd hom{tab}/mic{tab} which would spell out cd /home/michael/ for on my machine. If you hit tab twice it given the folder listing for where your at in the command. More on BASH commands... http://ss64.com/bash/ As you made a comment of want to try others... CentOS RedHat Ubuntu Here is a another site full of links... http://distrowatch.com/

ISX, Linux is so much better than Micro$oft monopolization. Granted, the 'normal' apps that everyone is so used to using (MS Office apps, Photoshop, etc.) aren't Linux-friendly, but there are Linux variations that are FREE and open-sourced (OpenOffice, GiMP, etc.) and function in much the same manner/fashion. It's a learning curve that you have to accept, albeit not a steep one.Congratulations on the cross-over!

I only use opera, excel, pidgin messenger thinger, and thats about it. It came with some free excel program. I tried installing solaris 11 but the damn thing freezes up during install. Not sure what the deal was. It seemed more like windows so I wanted to try it, I am not a fan of taskbars that autohide. I also don't understand how to install the .usb file that they use.

No I found a thing that makes universal bootable thumb drives but it doesn't seem to support this ".usb" standard crap. They had this trail version thing where you can use it without installing it and also install it if you want and it was an ISO and it is what I got to work but it is what freezes. You can see all the different versions http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris11/downloads/index.html?ssSourceSiteId=ocomen The one that is the ISO that I got to start installing and freeze is "Oracle Solaris 11 11/11 Live Media for x86" 821mb Here is what happens.

https-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=04xAoCE-1r8