• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New to Cummins, need some possible fuel diagnostics

The only spot I can think of a possible suction leak would be where I hose clamped the new suction line to the top of the tank. Other than that, something must of failed inside the factory unit, or AirDogs brand new fuel lines are no good. Other idea I'm thinking is a severe clog in the tank somewhere. If the fuel system relay goes bad, can it stop the suction from sending unit even if an aftermarket LP is installed?

Pull the fuel line off of the pressure side of your AD100. Put a hose on the pump outlet and run it into a bucket. Bump the starter and if you do not get any fuel out of the line then you either have a priming issue or restriction in the line. After you get that corrected, then do the same thing with the fuel line connected and wait until you get fuel at the Edge which means you have pressure at the VP. Then and only then do you fuss with bleeding anything. I usually bleed 2-3 injectors and by that time the engine will start and the rest clear out fine.EDIT, one other option would be to get a 5 gallon can of fuel, and stick the SUCTION line from the AD into the can of diesel. Then bump the starter and see what happens. This would eliminate the fuel tank/drawstraw bit from your question. If it draws fuel fine and you get pressure at the Edge/VP, then you know your problem is with the line, drawstraw or tank.

I ran mine our of fuel once and had to fill the filter(WS) with fuel to get it to prime. I dont remeber whether I had to do that when I installed though. I put 15 gallons of fuel in the tank and it would not prime until filled that filter. Its worth a shot.

Probably will have to wait for the weekend to get all that done. Maybe tomorrow. But does anyone know if the fuel system relay will affect the ability to get fuel to the VP? I'd hate to tear things back apart for something simple like that... but if it doesn't affect it for sure I won't bother with it. And BTW, the Edge has no power to it. I came across an issue plugging in the MAP sensor and I'm also waiting to make sure my ECM is set to stock before I activate the Edge. I only have everything hooked up EXCEPT the MAP and power wires.

--- Update to the previous post...

I ran mine our of fuel once and had to fill the filter(WS) with fuel to get it to prime. I dont remeber whether I had to do that when I installed though. I put 15 gallons of fuel in the tank and it would not prime until filled that filter. Its worth a shot.

I could try that. I did put a very small amount of fuel in the "prefilter" which I guess is the water seperator? But I didn't fill it nearly the whole way as I didn't have enough fuel in my can.

Mine primed imediately after filling that filter and had it running 5 minutes later. I did make 3 trips to the gas station though, only had one can and just enough left to fill the filter. I just did not think of that until the 3rd trip. Since you have to get some fuel fill them both up while you are under there.

Mine primed imediately after filling that filter and had it running 5 minutes later. I did make 3 trips to the gas station though, only had one can and just enough left to fill the filter. I just did not think of that until the 3rd trip. Since you have to get some fuel fill them both up while you are under there.

So you're saying just fill up both filters on the AirDog? I know the directions say you may need to fill the smaller one, but it also says it's a self-priming system, so I didn't think it was a big deal. Hopefully I was wrong. I will fill them both up tomorrow and see what happens from there.

I dont rember wether i did it when it was new. But I do remember having to do it when I ran it out of fuel. It would not prime until I filled that filter. I cant explain why. Pretty sure i just did the prefilter, just suggested both since you would be there.

• Owner

Another way to prime the system is to use compressed air. This requires two people. Remove the fuel cap and wrap a rag around the blow gun and insert into the filler neck blow enough air into the tank so when the second person at the VP44 crack the line loose allows the fuel to come up and then tighten the line.Strange that a AirDog is no longer self priming... :shrug:

Awesome news guys, truck is running again. Just had it on a test drive. Still some diagnostics need done though. Here's whats up. CEL is on throwing codes P1693 and P1689. Also, absolutely NO HEAT at any fan setting even in 55 degree weather. Before, I at least had luke warm heat. Now, my truck warms up to about 190 which it NEVER got to before, even went slightly over. But here's the big one: under acceleration the truck cuts out and will not go over about 18-1900 rpms. Now, I have some ideas on the codes, but not the other stuff. I think the codes are regarding the VP to ECM communication. I disturbed that by tapping into the VP wire with my Edge, then never finishing the Edge install. Think maybe I should hook up the Edge and see what happens?

BTW MoparMan, the AirDog is still self priming according to their booklet, however I did have to fill BOTH filters full of diesel to bleed the fuel system.

Thanks guys. I feel pretty good right now, but I never could have gotten this far without this forum. Everyone on here has been so helpful and patient with my inexperience. Once I get the bugs worked out, I will update the sig and probably make a donation to the site. It's the least I can do, even after spending all the money I have spent, I would have spent much more leaving all this up to a shop.

I'm going to the gym now but checked the truck again and I may have found my heater issue... in my excitement I forgot to tighten the radiator cap... lost a little coolant, not sure how much, but it only took less than a gallon when I refilled. I guess I will have to cycle it a couple times and add as needed. I feel pretty stupid on that one.

But also have a question about the Edge. I have two round terminals to connect yet, red and black. Directions say black grounds to negative on battery but the terminal is too small. Should I go to the alternator, or will a body ground work? Also, I'm not even seeing what the red terminal goes to in the instructions, it's larger than the black one, maybe to the positive on battery or in fuse box? I'm not sure why they would be two different sizes if they are both for the power? I'm a little confused and Edge will not be open til Monday...

I watched TBD's install video. The ground to the neg. on battery is actually red in color. The black wire that I THOUGHT was the ground is the trans temp. I'm going out now to hook it up. I'm just going to run it without the MAP sensor hooked to the Juice. From what I've been reading it will not harm anything. In fact some people were running without them to make more black smoke or something? :ahhh:

• Owner

Awesome news guys, truck is running again. Just had it on a test drive. Still some diagnostics need done though. Here's whats up. CEL is on throwing codes P1693 and P1689. Also, absolutely NO HEAT at any fan setting even in 55 degree weather. Before, I at least had luke warm heat. Now, my truck warms up to about 190 which it NEVER got to before, even went slightly over. But here's the big one: under acceleration the truck cuts out and will not go over about 18-1900 rpms. Now, I have some ideas on the codes, but not the other stuff. I think the codes are regarding the VP to ECM communication. I disturbed that by tapping into the VP wire with my Edge, then never finishing the Edge install. Think maybe I should hook up the Edge and see what happens?

BTW MoparMan, the AirDog is still self priming according to their booklet, however I did have to fill BOTH filters full of diesel to bleed the fuel system.

Sound like there is some issues with the VP44... Like the other have said check the codes nd then clear them. Then got for a 5-10 mile ride checking for the CEL light. If the light pops on pull over and read the codes again. If it doesn't then return home and check the codes anyways.

Then report what you find... I want to see if the VP44 is truely giving up...:whistle:

Sound like there is some issues with the VP44... Like the other have said check the codes nd then clear them. Then got for a 5-10 mile ride checking for the CEL light. If the light pops on pull over and read the codes again. If it doesn't then return home and check the codes anyways. Then report what you find... I want to see if the VP44 is truely giving up...:whistle:

This VP44 is brand spankin new, it better not be giving up! lol I am almost 100% positive the issue is that I tapped into that wire on the VP for my Edge programmer. However, when I started my truck to make sure it ran good, I did not hook up power to the Edge. But now that I've actually tried to power up my Edge and it's not turning on, something is wrong. Possible reasons include, no MAP sensor plugged into Edge, or maybe something with the fuses. But I tried messing with the fuse taps last night. I flip flopped the sides that are tapped, just in case maybe they weren't on the "hot" side. But nothing. Then I tried moving the underhood fuse tap into a spare slot rather than the AC clutch, still nothing. I may end up having to call Edge, since the Edge monitor worked when I plugged the USB into my computer, but doesn't work when installed on truck.

I flip flopped the sides that are tapped, just in case maybe they weren't on the "hot" side.

:nono: bad idea. Unplug everything - return it back to stock with MAP on and clear codes and take for a drive. Then check for codes. Only when everything is ok - go back and redo the install - and pay attention to the wiring diagram - its pretty clear when you look closely - just take your time - especially with the TAP and the wires. Why are you not plugging in the MAP ?