• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

General performance question while pulling trailer

hd99fxr3

• Owner

The trucks were designed and spec'd to perform a task in a certain manner, without any help from the aftermarket. Just a statement, not throwing down the gauntlet for a discussion about the pros and cons of the aftermarket.

Understandable... But as for the gauge angle I tend to suggest them to owners as a protection your investment item. Like all the hotshots whe got here on the site they will tell you that anytime something fails it will typically show up in the form of heat.

As for voiding warranty if you discuss the option of pyro / boost with your dealer they might just write it there logs of a authorized modification like I did years ago with my custom crankcase vent. (Documented in Ontario, OR. Dodge Dealer).

But I was only trying to be helpful.. :sofa:

I gues I should pay more attenitionJohn. I did not realize you were from Charleston

I move around in my RV. Once I get the twins on and do a bit more fishing here - will head up north like boston adn then back down to the outer banks :)

Understandable... But as for the gauge angle I tend to suggest them to owners as a protection your investment item. Like all the hotshots whe got here on the site they will tell you that anytime something fails it will typically show up in the form of heat. As for voiding warranty if you discuss the option of pyro / boost with your dealer they might just write it there logs of a authorized modification like I did years ago with my custom crankcase vent. (Documented in Ontario, OR. Dodge Dealer). But I was only trying to be helpful.. :sofa:

No need to hide behind the couch. My bark is sometimes over rated.:thumbup2: I've been down the mod road twice with the bikes, and enjoyed every minute working on it. But that dog don't hunt anymore. $$$$$ The truck is a tool, my toys get the attention, and the mods (tractor pulling tractor).

I just thought you were hanging out with Tammy Wynett and did'nt have any $$$$$$.

More like David Allen Coe. I'd love to put in a cam, and a smarty, but the gains in MPG will not give me a ROI before I'm dead. The truck has more power than I need, so I'm not going to fix it till it's broke. :tongue: I've got the HD for when I feel the urge to go fast in the twisty turnies, or to commuin with nature. The tractors feed the need to tinker, and with the exception of the puller ( I'll make money on it too, cause I got it right), make me money when I go to sell one. I never mess with my DD, except to pull maintenance or fix something that broke. You wouldn't believe all the things I did to the Roadglide, but the drive train is now bullit proof putting out 110 ft-lb TQ and 102 HP from 103 C.I. It'll run on regular if I can't get Premium, and has a 10.2-1 static compression ratio. The 5 piece crank has been welded and rebalanced, the cases modified to use tapered bearings on both sides of the crank instead of just one, to controll the thrust. Flat top pistons set .001 proud of the cylinder, .030 head gasket for a .029 squish, heads and throttle body ported to increase flow, but not kill intake charge velocity. And about 30 hours tuning the map for the EFI. She has 90 ft-lb just off idle and 100 at cruise rpm (2600) and carries the 100 ft-lb curve till 5200 rpms. And still gets 50+mpg running 80mph on the interstate, with 2 people, saddle bags full and the trunk full as well. I'm all modded out . Almost forgot she has 15k on the clock since the build. Last trip was to Illinios for the big flat track race on the Springfield Mile.

I'd love to put in a cam, and a smarty, but the gains in MPG will not give me a ROI before I'm dead.

yeah me 2 :( Its quite suprising how these trucks dont come with more gauges or at least internal alarms on the dashboard like the tranny temp sensor - if EGT spikes for prolonged duration then alarm - I mean its only a 80 probe that could be built into the stock build to help protect the customer AND warranty claims.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

At what temp do the EGT's start affecting the pistons and it there a duration for these high temps that make it worse?

It's far more than just EGT's, you have to consider timing as well. As cajflynn said he runs his CR heavy without gauges, and I bet his motor has been above 1500° more than once, without an issue. But at stock timing that's fine. Peak timing on a 04.5-06 at 2000 rpms is 6° ADC! That makes for a lot of exhaust heat and not much cylinder heat. I run about 20° more timing than that at those rpms, and 1500° would window my piston! So, long story short... stock or modified?

It's far more than just EGT's, you have to consider timing as well. As cajflynn said he runs his CR heavy without gauges, and I bet his motor has been above 1500° more than once, without an issue. But at stock timing that's fine. Peak timing on a 04.5-06 at 2000 rpms is 6° ADC! That makes for a lot of exhaust heat and not much cylinder heat. I run about 20° more timing than that at those rpms, and 1500° would window my piston! So, long story short... stock or modified?

I just looked at your build page. That thing is sick.
  • Like 1

• Staff

With UDC it takes a bit more work to hit 1000° than it did before. I did add quite a bit of timing to the lower load settings, which is similar to the tone ring mod. Now I cruise with a 17.5K GCW at 65 in 6th at 800° on the flats, before UDC with a smaller trailer it was about 900-950°. Heck at 55 up some of the 6-7% grades I can hold 1050° at 17.5K, not too bad!