• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I have a set of those tow mirrors on my truck since February and I would NOT recommend buying a set the glass wiggles around even at idle from the engine. The glass also pops in and out of where it is supposed to be mounted. I won't be buying a Kool-vue product again.

That's odd, my KoolVues are pretty good quality other than the passenger studs too short. But I had the drivers side mounted on my old truck and it wasn't shaky or anything. Then again, it was a V10, but even still in the winds it didn't shake much at all unless you had them flipped out for towing, but it was still very visible.
  • Like 1

Have you tried getting them replaced under warranty?

I did have them send me a new passenger side mirror with a new bracket, but had the exact same problem. That has me wondering if maybe something was wrong with my other truck, or I had some really bad luck with two separate mirrors being faulty in the same exact way.
  • Like 1

I also did not use the foam, but they were still too short. I even had my brother come and push on it from one side while I tried to tighten the nuts. It was basically just long enough to angle the mirror one way, tighten one nut, then the other two studs were short, vice-versa. I'm probably just going to look into some kind of threaded rod to extend the studs if I have the problem on this truck as well.

My passenger side mirror fit just fine. However my drivers side mirror fit like the problem you are having I just tightened the one down and it pulled the mirror in so I could put the other two nuts on.

--- Update to the previous post...

Have you tried getting them replaced under warranty?

No I haven't I guess I should I just figured it was because they were aftermarket mirrors, not factory ones. I wish the ones off of the 4th gens would fit.
  • Like 1

I read, back when I was searching tow mirrors, that some people flipped the mounting bolts around. Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Just received my controller today, so I will price out some speakers to install while the panels are off, and if it doesn't fit, I'll try swapping the studs around. If that doesn't work it'll be off to the hardware store for me.
  • Like 1

Just installed some Pioneer 6x9's and my power tow mirrors. Everything works great, but the passenger mirror had the same issue. I was able to tighten the nuts on the bottom studs and it pulled the top on in. I did use the bracket that was on the truck already instead of the KoolVue bracket, which helped a little.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys,With my recent trip, had to flip the manual tow mirrors out, have Sheila adjust them... and reverse when we got back. Despite the 2 thumbs & squeeze adjustment techique, (to spread the pressure) the drivers side mirror is delaminating. Someday it will pop out & fall on the ground. Power mirrors would be so much better. I honestly have never liked the OEM tow mirrors... but have never found anything I liked better...I went to ebay & found a seller offering a control for my exact year truck... My first time looking. What luck! Under 20 bucks with shipping & it's coming my way! Maybe I'll find a couple of Cool Views under the tree on Father's Day!!!ADDITION: Been shopping ebay & finding what seems to be best price from AM Auto... NIB, 93.55 w/ free shipping No Brand specified... Good / Bad Reports?

Are they the heated power oem replacement for $93? I paid $230 for my set because I needed brackets. You having manual mirrors already means you have brackets. I think the AM Autoparts heated power are $200 so I would look and definatly make sure those are the same mirrors. As for the AM Autoparts mirrors, they have worked great for me. I've had them a several months now with no problems. When I was looking online trying to decide which mirrors to go with I narrowed it down to Kool Vue and AM. I read more bad reviews on the Kool Vue than on the other so I went with AM.

My used OEM mirror control arrived from the ebay seller. Under $20 delivered. It looks like new. The thing that has me scratching my head is how does it install? The knob side is much bigger than the switcgh body. I don't see that the knob comes off. There is a lock ring between the body & the knob. What am I missing? I looked under the Father's Day Tree & no mirror boxes... just a couple of T shirts! I may have to buy my own present. Passed a Dad at the Home Store... buying his self a 2 grand rider... said he wanted to be sure to get the one he wanted! LOL!!

My used OEM mirror control arrived from the ebay seller. Under $20 delivered. It looks like new. The thing that has me scratching my head is how does it install? The knob side is much bigger than the switcgh body. I don't see that the knob comes off. There is a lock ring between the body & the knob. What am I missing? I looked under the Father's Day Tree & no mirror boxes... just a couple of T shirts! I may have to buy my own present. Passed a Dad at the Home Store... buying his self a 2 grand rider... said he wanted to be sure to get the one he wanted! LOL!!

My knob popped off pretty easily, you have to turn it a certain way and pull it out. It will only come off and go back on one way, so if you play around with it, it I think you will figure it out. Only took me maybe 5 minutes to have mine installed, and I was doing everything by myself.
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

I just ordered a PAIR of Power Heated replacement tow mirrors from AM-AutoParts.com $212.85 with free shipping for my 01.5 Might as well replace both. I think the OEM manual tow mirror (drivers side) can be repaired but I had so much trouble adjusting them, it's worth it to get the power. I don't know how to wire the heated feature but it's seldom an issue in my area.

Russ, all you have to do is plug them in, then you need the switch. It is in the hvac control panel. you have to swap for another one with the switch. You can find used ones on ebay. By the way do you have the switch for the power part of the mirrors? got mine off of ebay as well.

Late to the game, but some good info here.. I've used this site for both mirrors and glass- They've changed their product listing a bit, but for the non heated towing mirror glass, its still about 20 bucks...just got to run it under the 2002 year search, as it doesn't show up 2001 or older for the towing mirrors... They also have some of the cheapest prices for the manual towing mirrors-I haven't priced the powered ones. Also despite the claim that the mirrors don't come with brackets, every time I've orded from them, they came with the support brackets also... http://www.wheelskin.com/replacement-mirror-glass.html?gclid=CPaPp4jhmKACFQwhDQodx1p3ew

I had already gotten a used switch off ebay, some time ago. Figured I needed this upgrade but it stalled... until, spurred by having the glass pop out during adjustment, I went for it. This afternoon the mirrors arrived from AM-Autoparts... darn quick service! I've been trying to figure out how to disassemble the used switch! I couldn't seem to figure it out. Am I stupid or what? I Googled it & did a lot of reading... finally, someone hinted the knob pulls straight off. I put the switch in a padded vise, & gave it a moderate tug & the knob was in my hand! So there you have it.

Hi All,I bought my 1999 Ram 3500 in 2001 and it came with the standard heated/power mirrors....Since I tow a 28' box trailer they where useless. I went to the dealer and purchased factory manual non-heated tow mirrors (power was not available) and have lived with those POS mirrors that will not hold adjustment (even after tighting up the mirror head) for 10 years...Now I find that I can replace the POS manual tow mirrors with power/heated.....Thanks for thread and I will contact A & M, order the mirrors, reinstall the joystick in the door and the heated switch is still mounted in the dash.....Looks like I am back to power mirrors, but in this case it will be power tow mirrors..I just joined this site and thanks again for the great info,Bob

You won't be disapointed with the set from A&M. I actually had to use the defrost on mine this morning. It dropped down into the low 40s and a dense fog rolled in. I couldn't even see to back up my mirrors were fogged over so badly. Hit the button and literally watched the dew evaporate within seconds. My 12 yr old oem mirrors were probably tired, they never cleared the lense off that fast