• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2002 with 98-99HD steering retrofit question

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. I finally am getting the cash flow to fix my steering issues.

Over the weekend I did the retro fit 98-99 HD steering upgrade. All of my tie rod ends now have grease fittings and that really tightened up the steering a great deal. I still need to get the truck aligned (Wife was going to get it done for me when I was at work, but she has the flu and weather is nice so I’ve been on my motorcycle). I was also able to fit my stock steering dampener by drilling out the holes on one of the old adjusting sleeve clamps and bolting it to the new steering link.

One thing I did notice is it seems that when I turn my wheel, I see the truck flexes in the other. To fix this I have a steering stabilizer (frame stiffener) from customdiesel.com on the way. I hope this will eliminate the flex I am seeing.

I also have my upper/lower ball joints, sway bar links, sway bar bushings and upper/lower control arm bushings (all Raybestos Professional Grade) on the way as well as some Gabriel Max shocks (on special order). I have already replaced the track bar.

The reason I went with the 98-99HD vs. the 3rd gen is I am getting mixed feedback on the 3rd gen. Some people say it will bolt right up, others say I will need to ream out the knuckles, some say it is vehicle specific if it will fit (not year specific), some say the tie rod end bolts will rub my stock rims, some say they wont. The 98-99 retrofit has been around for some time and I now know it is a direct bolt in with the exception you got to replace the inner tie rod end with part number ES3527. Also the 3rd gen does not have grease fittings and some 98-99HD’s do and I want to be able to add grease.

• Like 1

How is this upgrade different from what my 2000 has on it? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This steering system has one tie rod that goes from wheel to wheel and has one link to go from the pitman arm to the tie rod. There is a lot less parts involved and a lot less chance of play contributing to death wobble.

• 2 weeks later...

The reason I went with the 98-99HD vs. the 3rd gen is I am getting mixed feedback on the 3rd gen. Some people say it will bolt right up, others say I will need to ream out the knuckles, some say it is vehicle specific if it will fit (not year specific), some say the tie rod end bolts will rub my stock rims, some say they wont. The 98-99 retrofit has been around for some time and I now know it is a direct bolt in with the exception you got to replace the inner tie rod end with part number ES3527. Also the 3rd gen does not have grease fittings and some 98-99HD’s do and I want to be able to add grease.

Did you get it as a kit? Where?

Thanks.