• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ol' Blue laid down on me today (left me stranded)

hd99fxr3

Headed for the tractor pulls, and the trailer brakes wouldn't release after engaging them. So I pulled over and started checking everything. Couldn't find anything, so I thought lets shut it down and see what happens after restart. Turn the key nothing, have lights, gages, she just wouldn't do anything. Buddy came to jump me off, still nothing. So I call the wrecker, get unhooked from the trailer, tow it to the Dodge dealer, they put the scanner on it and no codes, they do some more checking and the ECM in the transmission thinks, the truck is in third gear.Do some more checking and the scanner sees the shifter changing gears when you move it. What the heck happened?

• Staff

Odd that both the starter and TIPM need a replacement? There was an issue with the 06's, TIPM and a no-crank like you described. A quick fix can be disconnecting the batteries, and that also is an indication it is the TIPM. It's for excessive starter loads, but all they do is reprogram the load limit higher (they had it too low), the starter is rarely bad. Your not seeing any codes, but who knows. http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2006/08-021-06.htm

According to the tech I talked to he has seen the starter go bad and take out the TIPM, and visa versa. He also told me he had put 12v to the starter direct and it did not spin. In any event the warranty co. rep. should be there today, to make sure "we" are not being taken for a ride. They're just pissed that, I gambled and they lost. For the next 7yrs and 65k miles my extended warranty will have me at a net loss of only $300. So if anything else Major goes wrong, I will have a virtual net gain in income. :hyper:

I've read that most folks statistically lose out on the extended warranties. Glad to hear it's working in your favor.

It's been my lifes experiance that if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any. I've also noticed that if I am perpared for a situation, it will never arise. So this time around my prepardness, let me down. But my bad luck saved the day!!!!!!!!!!!! :wow:

--- Update to the previous post...

Warranty rep. is sending the dealer a starter. If that doesn't fix the problem then they will authorize a TIPM replacement. Was also noted that the truck had, had no mods, and had a current ECM download. So that hurdle is jumped, now I have to wait.

Update-------------------

TIPM is bad and will need to be replaced so warranty co. is sending Dodge a new one. All OEM parts, just purchased at a discount direct.

Had to get extremely firm with warranty company. They have messed around long enough, the TIPM that they said was shipped yesterday overnight didn't ship till today. So it won't be there till Monday. So I told the guy that told me that to get his Supervisor on the phone. We had a good discussion and he agreed to authorize the more expensive Dealer supplied TIPM. Still can't get the truck till later in the week, cause there is nobody to fix it over the weekend. The money they saved going their route of suppling parts, is being eaten up by the rental car they provide. I told the guy and he agreed that at the end of the day we both gambled, and they lost, and it was time to do the right thing.Still don't feel better, but I have some small statisfaction that it is costing them more, this way then if the had sent the TIPM and the starter at the same time. Like the dealer tech told them to do.

• 2 weeks later...

All is well in my world again since last Tuesday. Truck is fixed. Did 1000 mile round trip to Ohio with GN at about 10K, with no problems. Got a hand calculated 13.94 mpgs for the trip. Seems the trip up the Saluda grade into Hendersonville and then over Jellico with the long pulls out of Knoxville, and then reversed on the return trip, seated the rings really good, or something similar. Did a 150 mile found trip to work yesterday and got a hand calculated 21.6mpgs. Previous best over same route was 19.3mpg from the same fuel source. Heres hoping, it was not just a fluke. Oh almost forgot I was running 72-73mph while getting 21.6. :wow::hyper: