• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Newbie in need of advise.

Going out right now to reset the apps. And I also checked and still no codes with scanner or by key. I will have to call around and see about someone to check live data that would be great. Is there a scanner that I could buy that would do that and not break the bank.

this is very interesting. Almost sounds like an electronic governor kicking in... just a thought in the dark.

Yes im pretty lost. It starts great and runs smooth and has lots of power but when it hits 2400 it just stays right there. Its kinda funny I drive and work on my own class A truck and I can trouble shoot it no problem But I must say that this one is stumping me. I will buy a scanner and check it that way. It doesnt hurt to have more tools in the shop lol. I have always had gas pickup trucks. This is my first diesel but im pretty sure im sticking with diesels because I love the power this truck puts out :cummins:

Ok, I got my code scanner today with live data its very ez to use and very helpful. As I was saying my truck will only rev around 2400 according to the tach but it seems like it has alot of power to me. Well I put the scanner on it and read the codes and as usual it has no codes. So I started it up and was reading it live and the throttle was opening 100% and still only 2400 rpm but then I scrolled down to the tach on the scanner and at wot 100% it was reading 3260 rpm and my tach is only reading 2400 on the truck .... my freaking tach is off.

Good deal bud, does the motor actually sound like it is revving to 3000+ rpms? Im not sure if the ecu uses the crank or cam sensor. The tach and the ecu may each use a different sensor. I would get a handheld tach and check the actual rpms and see which one is accurate, the tach may be reading correctly but if the ecu reads off the other sensor, it may think it is actually revving that high.

Good deal bud, does the motor actually sound like it is revving to 3000+ rpms? Im not sure if the ecu uses the crank or cam sensor. The tach and the ecu may each use a different sensor. I would get a handheld tach and check the actual rpms and see which one is accurate, the tach may be reading correctly but if the ecu reads off the other sensor, it may think it is actually revving that high.

To be honest my only comparisant I have is my Big rig and it revs 2200 and my pickup seems to rev higher. I drove it around and at 70 mph its saying 2042 rpm on the scanner. My gps is on with the scanning tool and my truck is off 4 to 5 mph by the speedo. I think my speedo and tach are off. Im hoping :shrug:

--- Update to the previous post...

I also noticed on the scanner it idles at 850 - 900 rpm and on the tach its 500.

What gearing and tire size do you have? That sounds about right for speed/rpms. I will try to find out tonight about the cam and crank sensors. If I'm not mistaken I believe one is just a secondary but I could be wrong. If the ecu thinks its running over 3000 rpms it's not going to rev any higher because of the factory rev limiter.

I have a 2001 2500. I was having the oil changed at the dealership. They replaced the fuel filter and had a hard time getting fuel to the filter. They told me that my lift pump was bad. I had no codes. I took it to Cummins and they charged me $300.00 to install a pump in the tank. I'm happy with the way it works.:)

I have a 2001 2500. I was having the oil changed at the dealership. They replaced the fuel filter and had a hard time getting fuel to the filter. They told me that my lift pump was bad. I had no codes. I took it to Cummins and they charged me $300.00 to install a pump in the tank. I'm happy with the way it works.:)

Thats pretty good. It cost me alomost a grand 5 years ago. A year later it was almost gone. Get your self a fuel pressure gauge and keep an eye on it.