• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Better MPG with Edge EZ on level 3 ???

At my last fill up I decided to set the EZ on level 3 just for the hell of it. I've had it on the truck for years and my MPG's would always drop on level 3 and I'm confident my driving style hasn't changed. I got 40 more miles off the top half of this tank than I did the last one. I don't know if the fuel station recently switched back to summer blend yet or what happened. Any thoughts on this?

My first thought would be, that using the gage to declare an increase in milage is faulty. It should be used as a reference tool only. Especially if it is like the gage on the Harley. At key on, the float reads where it is in relation to it's calibrated range of motion. It does not take the vehicals nose up / nose down attitude in to consideration. Nor does it measure how far above the full calibration point that you filled the tank to. At fill up if fuel is pumping at for example 5gpm the nozzle will signal full, faster than say 2gpm, because the air in the tank can escape easier, there by allowing you to put more fuel in the tank, than you normally would.

I'll do the math in a few days when I fill up again. Averaging 14.7 to 15.5 this winter. I always fill to the same level in the filler neck at the same pump facing in the same direction. Every tank worked out the same all winter long. When the fuel needle is dead center of the half tank mark the trip meter would be within just a few miles of 250. Last night when I hit the half tank mark I was at 290.

• Owner

No scan gauge yet. Just using a calculator.

ScanGauge or UltraGauge is a ultimate tool for MPG's... I can look at the instant display and train my right foot to get what every MPG's I want. Like I can now get 16-17 MPG in the 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 or 21-22 MPG in the 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (Cummins).

When fuel is this expensive you must do what you can to gain all the MPG's you can...

Diesel - $4.599

Unleaded - $3.929

Plus - $4.039

Supreme - $4.159

This picture was shot from the pump at New Meadows, ID - Chevron - April, 24 2012

post-2-138698186708_thumb.jpg

ScanGauge or UltraGauge is a ultimate tool for MPG's... I can look at the instant display and train my right foot to get what every MPG's I want. Like I can now get 16-17 MPG in the 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 or 21-22 MPG in the 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (Cummins).

When fuel is this expensive you must do what you can to gain all the MPG's you can...

Diesel - $4.599

Unleaded - $3.929

Plus - $4.039

Supreme - $4.159

This picture was shot from the pump at New Meadows, ID - Chevron - April, 24 2012

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3889[/ATTACH]

I'd love to get a scan gauge and some injectors too but trying to convince "The Warden" has been difficult.:banghead: We're buying a house with a shop, should close soon, and every dime counts.

I've even explained that we will be saving money with these new parts and will no longer have to pay rent on the shop I have now. All she's thinking is a new fridge, carpet, paint, bunk beds for the girls, and so on, and so on, and so on.

Diesel is $4.39 here right now.

• Owner

Something about see someone type fuel prices in a thread and it just "Oh Humm..." but its seem so much more realistic when you see pictures of the pump prices... :wow:Tell you the truth I would do the ScanGauge II before the injectors because even changing your driving habits will improve the MPG's really fast...

I have a similar situation with my Edge Juice. I drove to my moms tonight, level 1 "mileage" averaging 15.6-15.8 tops on the overhead. Drove the same roads home but on level 4 "race", mileage average went up to 16.1 and stayed there for the short trip home. And I gotta say, I drove it harder on the way home. So either my truck loves being driven hard, or something with the tune is changing the mileage for the better. The only possible change I could think of would be that it was slightly cooler temps outside. Maybe the turbo kicking in earlier or something is helping with the MPG's? I really don't know. And I haven't driven the truck enough since it's been up and running to really compare too much, however, it seems that increasing the level on the Juice does the MPG's good on my truck. I'm not saying my overhead is totally accurate either, but it consistently rose up and stayed there on level 4. Had I driven longer, I'm sure it would continue to rise.

I've always ran my Edge Juice (w/Hot Unlock) on 2x6 or 1x6, and get pretty much the same: 10-11mpg city. For the past couple of tanks, I've been running in 3x6. As well, the last two tankfuls have been about 95% towing (8500-9000lb trailer), and about 15-20% of that at 55mph. The 80-85% remaining time was mountainous backroads.[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500][TR][TD][/TD][TD]4/29/12[/TD][TD]300.0[/TD][TD]23.30[/TD][TD]12.9[/TD][TD]3.899[/TD][TD][/TD][/TR][TR][TD][/TD][TD]4/16/12[/TD][TD]311.0[/TD][TD]25.01[/TD][TD]12.4[/TD][TD]3.999[/TD][TD][/TD][/TR][TR][TD][/TD][TD]4/06/12[/TD][TD]333.0[/TD][TD]24.50[/TD][TD]13.6[/TD][TD]3.999[/TD][TD][/TD][/TR][/TABLE]Before, on 2x6, very minimal towing, :[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500][TR][TD][/TD][TD][/TD][TD]4/1/12[/TD][TD]308.0 [/TD][TD]25.00 [/TD][TD]12.3 [/TD][TD]3.999[/TD][TD][/TD][/TR][TR][TD][/TD][TD][/TD][TD]2/16/12[/TD][TD]302.0[/TD][TD]24.10[/TD][TD]12.5[/TD][TD]3.859[/TD][TD][/TD][/TR][TR][TD][/TD][TD][/TD][TD]1/22/12[/TD][TD][/TD][TD][/TD][TD][/TD][TD][/TD][TD]Oil Change[/TD][/TR][TR][TD][/TD][TD][/TD][TD]1/21/12 [/TD][TD]224.0[/TD][TD]23.20[/TD][TD]9.7[/TD][TD]3.799[/TD][TD][/TD][/TR][TR][TD][/TD][TD][/TD][TD]1/12/12[/TD][TD]307.0[/TD][TD]20.27[/TD][TD]15.1[/TD][TD]3.690[/TD][TD][/TD][/TR][TR][TD][/TD][TD][/TD][TD]1/7/12[/TD][TD][/TD][TD]23.87[/TD][TD][/TD][TD]3.699[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]The actual mileage didn't change bunch, on the above charts, but the GVW increase on the first chart, due to towing.I can't really run any higher than 3x6, because all it really does is roll coal and push EGTs up high; none of which are beneficial.

The only thing I've noticed that I didn't notice before was when I ran level 5 "extreme" and when I got home after driving it really hard, it was leaking fuel back by the trans, which dripley told me is probably the stock return line washer on the back of the head. I still haven't gotten around to verifying that, but I would like to get it fixed shortly since it seems pretty wasteful to be leaking any fuel like that with prices where they are.

I run my edge on level 3 and I seem to get the best there as well. Recently bought a scan gauge but only have done one fill up with it so far, as of right now, no current data. I guess we will see though before I did not have the edge ez hooked up along with the scan gauge. Reprogammed ecm to tire size 265-75-16 as well.

My work just bought a new snap on scanner, really awesome one and I went through and changed it. I really like the scan gauge, got some data now, currently getting around 25 mpg daily, due to the fact it's 90% freeway driving, around 140 on a quarter of a tank so far. Hopefully it stays that way.:thumb1:

How? I'd like to get an SG2, but that's $150+ I don't have spare.

currently getting around 25 mpg daily, due to the fact it's 90% freeway driving, around 140 on a quarter of a tank so far. Hopefully it stays that way.:thumb1:

you all make me sick... :lol: I'd be tickled pink if I could get 20.. Or 15.. :spend:

Haha I have been there too, seems like I used to measure in feet per gallon, not miles per gallon:tongue: If I drove city the whole time, it would easily drop back down to 14-16 I would think.

you all make me sick... :lol: I'd be tickled pink if I could get 20.. Or 15.. :spend: