• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

new guy, towing upgrade advice

hi all, reecenty registered guy been reading a lot to keep the questions to a min. but i know this is a big question so thanks in advance for any advice. i have a 01 dodge 24v 4x4 auto with 210,000 mi all stock except for a new edge ez, BHAF, replaced the vp fuel pump around 100,000mi ago, other than than its just been maintaince. im looking to get better performance when towing my new to me 9000 lbs toy hauler. i know i need guages asap, after that thinking 4" turbo back exhaust, injectors? (50hp? 75hp?), trans upgrades? and finally airdog or fass and what size?again just looking to make a good reliable tow rig that hopefully wont brake the bank. im pretty mechinical and would like to do as much as i can on my own. thanks a lot joel:thumbup2:

Gauges and lift pump first, especially with a new VP. Are you still running an oe lift pump?Welcome, by the way. If you would go to the user cp and fill out your signature with your truck info it will be there in any post for all to see what you have. Makes thing easier.

• Like 1

The oe lift pumps ar notorious for bein weak. Weak pressure will slowly destroy the VP. Since you are looking to increase your power the demand on the pump will be greater accelarating the damage. Her is a good read on the subjec of fuel pressure. http://articles.mopar1973man .com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/25-fuel-system/49-fuel-pressure-specification-for-bosch-vp44-injection-pumps

here something to read about the oe ones. http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/25-fuel-system/32-stock-lift-pumps

--- Update to the previous post...

here is something on the oe pumps http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/25-fuel-system/32-stock-lift-pumps

• Like 1

Air dog, Raptor, or Fass are all good pumps with good warranties. A 100 gph pump is enought for what you want to do. Alot of folks, including me, go bigger, but it is not 100% neccasary. I chose mine because of the filtration, adjustable pressure regulator, and it came with a kit to replace the in tank pump with. The flow is way over kill for my rig.

• Like 1

I have a simlar truck. First thing you must know, the VP44 IP has proven to be a bit fragile. It has it's own computer & tends to run hot. It is cooled by fuel. Attempts to cool it otherwise have failed. Increasing fuel flow & pressure (enough to open the return valve) are very helpful. The OEM lift pump was inadequate from day 1. Dodge's fix is an in tank pump that continues to be expensive, still failure prone, difficult to service, and does not increase fuel pressure enough. The VP44 was designed for LSD & ULSD has less lubricty. Many of us find the engine runs quieter & usually slightly better mpg & better life from VP44 IP when running TCW3 (2 cycle oil) 1 oz per gallon of fuel. FIRST, I would upgrade the fuel pump to an after market pump like FASS, AirDog, Raptor, mounted on the frame in front of the tank, & a fuelP guage.I put on a SS exhaust... happened to be 4" full length. Stock is 3" to the muffler & smaller out. Full length 3" is an upgrade.OEM air filter is ok for stock. A BHAF has more capacity & lasts longer. Cold Air intakes really aren't improvement on an intercooled diesel, IMHO. (Cold Air originated in gasoline race cars... a different critter.)The rest of your guages set...A mild chip/tuner. I like my Quadzilla XZT+. +35 hp or can program +65-70hp. Good for stock automatics. Can not fuel above stock parameters (though amount & timing are adjusted). Others like other units. Depends on your needs.

• Like 1

2001 4x4 auto with 210,000 mi all stock except for a new edge ez, BHAF

Original tranny ? Edge EZ should have woken your truck up a bit and getting some mpg. Not much else to do apart from guages, valve body unless you want to pull the entire trans.

Original tranny ? Edge EZ should have woken your truck up a bit and getting some mpg. Not much else to do apart from guages, valve body unless you want to pull the entire trans.

thanks guys for the advice, guages on order (egt, fuel press and trans temp). trying to figure out between air dog 100 or the fass (when i do this does the stock lift pump get pulled out?) and yes original stone stock tranny and tc

thanks guys for the advice, guages on order (egt, fuel press and trans temp). trying to figure out between air dog 100 or the fass (when i do this does the stock lift pump get pulled out?) and yes original stone stock tranny and tc

Welcome. If you ask what you "should" do, you're bound to get a lot of responses but what do you "have" to do is probably more what you're after. As mentioned, the fuel system needs attention and the tranny is weak. Whether or not you need to change anything yet is up to you but knowing is half the battle. As long as you keep your HP no more than the EZ you'll probably be just fine towing 9k but in saying that you MUST have gauges. Everything on your truck could last forever but when you ask more from your truck than it was designed for then you have to monitor the vitals. You could spend thousands upgrading the fuel system and tranny but unless you're watching whats going on things could still easily be damaged. EGT, boost, fuel pressure, and trans temp are what you'll need. Keep the EGT's under 1250*, boost must be "normal" which with the EZ should be about 25-30 psi max, fuel pressure ideally should be between 15-20 psi all the time but the stock LP will rarely ever get above 15 and most likely will drop well below 10 (which is bad), and tranny temp should never get above 225*.
  • Like 1

Welcome. If you ask what you "should" do, you're bound to get a lot of responses but what do you "have" to do is probably more what you're after. As mentioned, the fuel system needs attention and the tranny is weak. Whether or not you need to change anything yet is up to you but knowing is half the battle. As long as you keep your HP no more than the EZ you'll probably be just fine towing 9k but in saying that you MUST have gauges. Everything on your truck could last forever but when you ask more from your truck than it was designed for then you have to monitor the vitals. You could spend thousands upgrading the fuel system and tranny but unless you're watching whats going on things could still easily be damaged. EGT, boost, fuel pressure, and trans temp are what you'll need. Keep the EGT's under 1250*, boost must be "normal" which with the EZ should be about 25-30 psi max, fuel pressure ideally should be between 15-20 psi all the time but the stock LP will rarely ever get above 15 and most likely will drop well below 10 (which is bad), and tranny temp should never get above 225*.

go good summary :thumbup2:
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

first thing i do when i get a new..or new to me truck..speaking of the vp trucks here..well i did it to my 03 common rail..was take that junk oem lift pump of and toss..i have always used the FASS H.P.FP. 150..THE P.S.I. is set at the factory..i use the facory fuel filter and housing cause it has the fuel heater built into it...oh..and i use a hasting ff1260 fuel filter.it is for the 5.9 common rails but it has better micron filtering than the one the book shows to use for the vp trucks.