• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Some of My thoughts about doubters of Amsoil

Use Amsoil, it cures fits, farts, warts, freckles, coughs, colds, and runny noses. Makes conception a wonder and child birth a pleasure. It works pretty well in our Cummins engines too. If it'd grow hair, I'd use it as a hair tonic on my bald spot!!! All that said, I use WallyWorld SuperTech dino in my Cummins!!!!!

I "cut and pasted" that paragraph from a thread I posted in on "the other site" way back in December, 2007. Only difference now is I'm using Valvoline Premium Blue!!

Hey Michael, what's Chuck doing these days???? He and I used to go "round and round" on the oil stuff!!!:thumbup2::smart:

I just had beer come out my nose when I read that. Thanks, it's been a long day and I needed a good laugh. :lmao2::lmao::lol:

I'm going to throw something else out there.. We all know we need oil to lube, cool, clean, and I thought there was one more. In any case, what is to say that all oils on the market aren't plenty good for our cummins? My dad told me some months ago that back when he was in college they tested the engine drag using different oils and he said that anything with "lube" in it all had insignificant differences. I realize this isn't exactly a "wear over time" test, but it does say something. So if we say all oils lube the same, then as long as the viscosities are the same, they would all theoretically protect the same. I say that because I know thinner and thicker oil are needed under certain circumstances, which all oils on the market are capable of doing, unless you buy straight weight. I realize amsoil and every other oil company has tests that prove they are better, but whats to say these tests are actually beneficial to us? As in, if oil A wears more than oil B, are we gonna notice the difference a million miles down the road? Cajflynn has over a million now on dino oil pulling boats and stuff everyday and still runs great, so you can't throw out that obvious example. That brings me to the point that the only real factor in wear must be mainly contaminants. Crap that gets in the oil that is smashed between bearings and has it's way with them. That means the biggest contributor to oil wearing out engines goes right back to the oil filter. Dorkweed never changed his oil for 80k miles and it was supertech oil at that, all he changed was his oil filter and frantz oil filter every 5 or 10k miles. He is over 100k miles now, has no issues and still gets great mpg. The dual filter setup keeps it clean. Which brings me to point C. My theory is that the best way to keep the oil clean is use a centrifuge filter. I have never used one since they are expensive but I haven't read anything that said they don't clean better than anything else. Plus you just have to clean the crap out of them every now and then so there is no filter to change. Now going to the original paragraph on this post, the viscosity has to be the same or stuff isn't happy and like I said earlier in this thread, that is where amsoil has benefits. The cold weather operation is exceptional. But I see no other benefits that will hurt us in the long run for not using it. I mean if Cajflynn can go a million on dino, then what else is there to prove? Maybe it will easily go 2 million with amsoil, but I think there are other parts that wear out irregardless of engine oil so the engine would need to be rebuilt sooner or later, meaning the 2 million mile amsoil would have been a waste of time. I would actually like to see a nonbiased test of dino oil after 50k (drained from dorkweeds truck lol) and amsoil after 50k and see how much of a wear difference there is. Run both through a centrifuge to eliminate foreign crap. I just want to see if "oil wears out", or if it just gets dirty. As for Bill, I am not trying to talk down to amsoil, I don't favor any oil, I merely buy valvoline premium blue because it has a cummins on it, is blue, and is available everywhere. I would however, like to see something other than tests that amsoil performed when they are the competition.. Now if you can prove to me, after everything I just said, that amsoil is what I need to run because it will benefit me in the long run (and not just with cost, I know that), then I will switch back. I am not biased or anything so convincing me might be easy, though the examples I stated will be hard to match :evilgrin:

• Like 1

• Staff

I can't really compare it to anything else but Amsoil works for me. My dad has used it for 20+ years, and his parts usually last longer than average and he has hardly owned anything that hasn't been chipped (Chevy 5.7, 7.4), tuned (06 CTD), or turbo'd (6.2 Burb). He isn't a hard driver, just runs a little more power and does plenty of towing.

• Like 1

ISX and others I did not start to argue. My point is why not, if others are having so much success using Amsoil why not join in we even back or product with a Warranty. I am not a good at the keyboard so forgive me I don't do typing well at all. I don't have other oil samples to show you. I do have a lot of Amsoil published stuff keep in mind Amsoil has been doing this for 40 years if we put out false info we would be sued out of business. So I would like to point you to a link Diesel Fleet Fuel Economy Study I have enough testimonial to satisfy all issues. Bottom line there are so many advantages to synthetics I don't know where to start. If you will look this over The Benefits of AMSOIL it covers synthetics not just Amsoil. Thanks for your reply Bill

• Like 1

I was not looking to argue Bill. Just trying to figure out what stands out about it. The title is the doubters of amsoil though, hence my statement about what exactly stands out about it that people doubt.. If I did want to get right down to it though, I would like to see a generator with an exact load on it put through the tests with different types of oils along with dynoed and see what happens. Of course the biggest concern of all is if it is legit or not. I know amsoil has been here for 40 years but somebody somewhere will have doubts. I don't know why but they will, the fact that they do makes me have doubts. One of these days I hope to conduct my own tests, to be scrutinized by the public as well :lol: Now I do read a lot about people gaining some mpgs by changing every fluid on the truck to amsoil, enough people that I might actually believe it. I don't see how these people can track 0.1mpg though when a speedbump could throw the truck off by that much. But if I ever find a way to test it, I will surely test out amsoil and be another believer if it all does what it says. I guess nobody will ever be completely satisfied. Thanks for the documentation Bill, and thanks for being honest, that's really all I wanted to see. :thumbup2: There's enough guys saying "buy amsoil because I said so" so it's a nice changeup.

• Like 1

Isx, one way that Amsoil saves money is in the longevity of the quality of the oil. The less you change it the less it costs. If you use it and have regular oil analysis done you just might be surprised as to how long you can run it until the contaminants get to the point of needing replacement. Also something to think about is the fact that Amsoil does such a good job of cleaning that IF you have a leak that is plugged with sludge from dino oil then it WILL leak with synthetic oil. Fleets that use Amsoil have shown a reduction in operating costs with synthetic oil and grease. Believe it or not, I have worked in the facility (building the piping) that Amsoil has for production and have seen what goes in to making the lubes and I am impressed. Oh, yes I am a dealer too, but more for my own use than anything else.

• Like 1

Isx, one way that Amsoil saves money is in the longevity of the quality of the oil. The less you change it the less it costs. If you use it and have regular oil analysis done you just might be surprised as to how long you can run it until the contaminants get to the point of needing replacement. Also something to think about is the fact that Amsoil does such a good job of cleaning that IF you have a leak that is plugged with sludge from dino oil then it WILL leak with synthetic oil. Fleets that use Amsoil have shown a reduction in operating costs with synthetic oil and grease. Believe it or not, I have worked in the facility (building the piping) that Amsoil has for production and have seen what goes in to making the lubes and I am impressed. Oh, yes I am a dealer too, but more for my own use than anything else.

I knew about the cost savings which is one reason I ran it. I also knew about the oil leak issue which is a reason I quit running it. Not because it leaked but because I couldn't readily replace the oil, always had to buy more and I hated the way they do things with the preferred customer thing. If they would make it easy to get then I would switch back.
  • Like 1

I was not looking to argue Bill. Just trying to figure out what stands out about it. The title is the doubters of amsoil though, hence my statement about what exactly stands out about it that people doubt..

If I did want to get right down to it though, I would like to see a generator with an exact load on it put through the tests with different types of oils along with dynoed and see what happens. Of course the biggest concern of all is if it is legit or not. I know amsoil has been here for 40 years but somebody somewhere will have doubts. I don't know why but they will, the fact that they do makes me have doubts. One of these days I hope to conduct my own tests, to be scrutinized by the public as well :lol:

Now I do read a lot about people gaining some mpgs by changing every fluid on the truck to amsoil, enough people that I might actually believe it. I don't see how these people can track 0.1mpg though when a speedbump could throw the truck off by that much. But if I ever find a way to test it, I will surely test out amsoil and be another believer if it all does what it says.

I guess nobody will ever be completely satisfied.

Thanks for the documentation Bill, and thanks for being honest, that's really all I wanted to see. :thumbup2: There's enough guys saying "buy amsoil because I said so" so it's a nice changeup.

I do understand your hesitation I also can relate as I was not a believer at first oil samples proved it to me, performance also help as well.

I do have a testimonial from another dealer I think you might be interested in.

When I started using Amsoil I was getting 15.6 mpg in my PSD 7.3 I switched and I noticed the engine was quieter ran smother and if nothing else it felt like I had more power. When I filled up the next tank I was getting 18.1 I was amazed that was replicated over and over again I went to Amsoil and got 21.4 mpg that is the best I got to be fair I had added the 4” exhaust and aftermarket intake.

I bought a 2009 Jetta TDI after learning they have camshaft failure issues. I started draining the dealer oil and putting in Amsoil. I was getting 38.2 mpg up to 41. After switching I am getting 41.2 to 45.3 driving pretty much the same way my wife does get a lot better mpg.

To be fair I have customers that use Amsoil and do not get the mpg bump I don’t know why but most do a lot of towing.

Check this link out Mid County Services Electrical Savings

Last there are a lot of dealer that approach selling very aggressively, my approach is educate and service if you are a reasonable person you will see the benefits.

Bill

I sent you a pm as well.

--- Update to the previous post...

I wanted to give you this link “Hi folks, Larry Perry here! Thanks for tuning in to „The Magic Mechanic‟ Show.”

This is a good read it is gas not a diesels and since diesels last so long this is a better comparison IMO.

Food for thought.

I talked to an over the road operator and he told me a story. I cannot prove it at all but believe it non the less.

He was trading in his rig that had 750,000 on it the dealer wanted him to rebuild he engine before trade. He told them he was using Amsoil that did not make a difference so he took it to the engine builder for the build. After they got in to the engine he was told it did not need rebuilding. What he did not tell the dealer he was going 100,000 on an oil change changing the filter and topping off.

I met this guy doing the NSR show in Springfield MO last year.

Bill

--- Update to the previous post...

I used amsoil for a while and the only benefit I see is anytime it is cold out. It gets oil pressure just as fast as in the summer. However, I don't see any benefit in the summer. It does save you money though, sometimes. If your truck is pristine then it's probably a no brainer, but mine leaks oil a little and every seal leaks a tiny bit so I can't fix one and call it good. This means I would have to order amsoil to replace what I lost. The only problem with that is that amsoil has their preferred customer thing so if I only needed a gallon and my year was up, the gallon would cost $20 plus the oil cost. I only needed oil once a year so every year I had to pay that $20 thing. If you don't pay $20, the cost of just the oil at market price costs more than preferred customer price with the $20. So I think their pricing is a little out of whack. The 25,000 mile interval makes up all the costs but still, it's the thought of constantly having to pay that $20. It's also just a pain if I need oil NOW. I screwed up and started my truck with the turbo oil return not in the rubber hose of the oil pan (different turbo, research and development lol) and lost a gallon there. I had to wait a week to get the replacement. I now use valvoline premium blue. I have nothing against amsoils products that I can statistically prove did anything bad to anything. I run it in my dirt bike. But I want more availability for my truck.

I some how passed this part sorry.

The PC thing is a way for dealers to offer wholesale prices and not cary it in stock and a few more reasons as well. I don know if you have a buying club around you butt feel it is in the same ball park. You can buy the PC in discount groups or become a dealer and sell it unless you have a rolledex full of conrtacts like all jobs it is a Job. There is a tax benifit as well.

Valvoline premium blue is a very good product it is not the quality of Amsoil but very good.

In most cases Amsoil is 4 days from your door step waiting can be a issue though.

After I started selling I looked into the product MnTom made my point Amsoil takes a great deal of pride making their product. I would say he is get paid very well also.

Bill

I have 11 gas a diesel eng. and spend 40 hrs. a year changing oil / switched to Amsiol and cut that in half. Now I go fishing on my savings :wink:

Saving time is a big benefit for me as well. The fleet I'm responsible for is just shy of 750 pieces of equipment and if I wasn't able to extend the drain intervals, I'd be in trouble. With 6 full time Techs, it's all we can do to keep up as it is.