• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I've gotten this code recently on my 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 with the Cummins 5.9l diesel. At first I thought it was the APPS as I was getting the dreaded dead pedal syndrome with no other symptoms, but it has progressed to having a little chugging or missing at highway speed under heavy load. Mostly I get a completely dead pedal when first starting out and cold, but then it will usually clear and begin running fine. I've confirmed the APPS is fine with an analog voltmeter hooked up while I am driving; the voltage change is smooth and continuous even when I am not getting any actual throttle response. I've also confirmed the lift pump is fine by hooking up a pressure gauge I can read while driving. I get 15psi at idle and usually 10 or more while driving.I'm afraid the VP44 is going or the circuit board in it but I don't know how to check it further or what else to eliminate. I talked to an instructor of diesel mechanics at a technical school who thought it likely was the crankshaft position sensor but I am not getting any error codes related to that so I'm not thinking that is too likely.I just recently changed the fuel filter. Could I have messed that up somehow and caused this problerm?Any further diagnostic help would really be appreciated!Bob

• Owner

Is the P0216 code present?

As for fuel pressure you need to be above 14 PSI under WOT operation for good VP44 life span. 10 PSI is the bare minimum and most times will cause damage any ways because of lack of return fuel flow because the overflow valve is closed below 14 PSI so cooling and lubing is gone so damage occurs.

Keep it in the green...

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/25-fuel-system/49-fuel-pressure-specification-for-bosch-vp44-injection-pumps

Posted Image

:iagree: good advice. How are you checking for your codes? A weak lift pump can generate that code also. sounds like your is fair. what kind of lift pump do you have? Have you changed your fuel filter lately. I had similar issues with mine but my pressures were way to low, nowhere in th ballpark of what yours are. I changed my fuel system, got the pressures up and got alot more life out of the vp. so there might still be some hope. Just bear in mind what ever damge if any that has already been done, the best fuel system in the world will not reverse it. I was lucky thats all there is to it.

:iagree: good advice. How are you checking for your codes? A weak lift pump can generate that code also. sounds like your is fair. what kind of lift pump do you have? Have you changed your fuel filter lately. I had similar issues with mine but my pressures were way to low, nowhere in th ballpark of what yours are. I changed my fuel system, got the pressures up and got alot more life out of the vp. so there might still be some hope. Just bear in mind what ever damge if any that has already been done, the best fuel system in the world will not reverse it. I was lucky thats all there is to it.

I have checked the codes using the key on/off/on/off/on procedure, but they were also read at Autozone. I have a stock lift pump, probably original as the truck only has 78,000 miles. I just recently changed the fuel filter so I don't think that's the problem. If the LP pressures are really too low maybe that has caused damage to the VP44. Until just the other day we had a slide in truck camper in it that went everywhere with us. We use the truck to haul our three horse aluminum trailer, usually loaded with two horses plus all the associated equipment, so we have a pretty decent load most of the time.

that 0216 code and the dead pedal is a sign of the death of your vp44 pump no mater what you do it will never get any better.i would also get rid of the factory lift pump ,get into a fass or airdog setup you need 14 psi at wot just to keep your vp cool

About the only way I know to confirm the P0216 code is to clear it and make sure you have good connections at the pump and grounds. Run it and see if it comes back. Most likely it will especially if you are over 100k miles on the original IP.