• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Class V Hitch Recommendations

I am wanting to set up my (new to me ) 05 to carry my slide in camper as well as pull a boat or trailer while I have the camper on.The class III hitch that comes with the vehicle won't handle the load of using an 48" extension to haul a 5-6k trailer load.So I am contimplating adding a new Class V hitch. Of course there are several to choose from but I do not have any previous experience in adding a Class V to a truck.Curt, Reese, Tork-Lift, etc., are a few I am looking at. I have used the Tork-lift camper tie downs on my 2nd gen and liked them real well and am planning to add them to my 05 as well.But the hitch is a new deal for me. Some of the hitches use a 2.5" extender bars and the Tork -lift uses 2 - 2" extenders tied together.I am leaning toward the Tork-Lift magnum hitch as it seems to be able to carry the most weight when you use a 48" extension, but this setup is about 2x what you would spend for the other class V setups (albeit it does seem to be rated to carry more weight with the 48" extension).I am interested in hearing feedback on others that use a class V with an extension and which manufacturere they use and how it works for you.Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I went with the torklift superhitch.Installed it today and it took somewhere close to 3 hours with no hoist so just working on my back.Needed another set of hands. The hitch assembles in 3 main pieces (plus all the bolts, washers brackets etc.) Wow does this thing look stout. Haven't hooked up to anything yet but it is a class V with a rated capacity of 17k pounds at the hitch and 6k pounds on the end of a 48 inch stinger.

Here are some pictures of the Super Hitch installed on my truck. It marries to the stock one that came with the truck. There are now two 2" receiver boxes now.The extension is formed with 2" tubes that are formed in a truss and that is where they get the capacity for a 48 inch extension. I have to assemble the extension and when I get that done I'll post some pics of it.post-11041-138698187727_thumb.jpg

post-11041-138698187702_thumb.jpg

post-11041-138698187711_thumb.jpg

post-11041-138698187718_thumb.jpg

Nice hitch. It is definately stout. My truck came with the camper package and has the same style as yours, as in it mounts to the frame rails and not the bumper. Mine is however only rated for 10k#'s. What was the oe one on your truck rated for?

My truck aslo was the heavy duty model with the camper package. The hitch is a class III which is 5k dead weight and 10k with weight distribution.The new hitch is a class V and gives me 6k dead weight capacity with a 48" extension and 12k capacity with weight distribution and 48" extension.

I got the extension truss put together and installed and then took a couple of pictures.Look at the size of this thing extending out 48 inches from the receiver.The capacity of this extension is 6k pounds dead weight and 12k pounds with weight distributing hook up.post-11041-138698187837_thumb.jpg

post-11041-138698187827_thumb.jpg

I have never pulled anything with this kind of extension before but I have ridden in a vehicle that had a slide in camper and was pulling a boat and he wasn't having any problem pulling the boat.Now I can't honestly tell you how long his extension was but it was out there at least 36 inches as I recall the point of reference I was looking at, at the time.According to the Torklift people if I have the tongue weight set up correctly there shouldn't be any problem. I certainly find out in the future when I hook up.