• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

ball joints

ok need new ball joints and tie rod ends. can a shade tree mechnic do ball joints? and what tools are needed or speciality tools are needed. also good ball joints? limited funds thats why i need to know if i can do this my self

yes patience, ball joint press, torch (possibly), hub press tool, BFH, normal socket set, did I mention torch? ;) I used MOOG from RockAuto.com.. cheapest price i could find.

I did it with the same things Rogan listed except the hub press tool. My ball joint press did not have the right receiver cup for the lower one, I had to beat them out. the ball joints were somewhat difficult only because I had never done it before. The second side went much better than the first. I also used Moog and rock auto had by far the best prices going at the time.

• Staff

I just paid $1400 to get mine done. Just so you'll get motorvated to work at doing it yourself and save that money. I suggest getting the greasables since mine were dry and rusty at only 65k miles. I am hearing from several other sources to avoid the Moog brand:stirthepot: and get the Spicer brand the ones made in Canada not the ones made in China. It will say on the box.

I have heard some of the same things about the Moog. But being made i china was not one of them. I did not notice made in China on the boxes they came in. I guess there is good and bad about all of them. I have about 30k on mine and they are still holding up well. I bellieve that Mike used the cheaper stuff at Rock auto and his are still holding up, but I dont want to speak for him. As far as greasable joints are concerned, the oe stuff was factory sealed and mine lasted for 200K. They were shot but still holding together.

• Staff

No Dripley, it's only the Chinese made Spicer brand you got to watch out for. The Canadian made Spicers are good. Moog was real good according to many posts and only recently reduced their quality. I can only speak from what the consensus is from reading many posts on different forums on the subject of BJ's. At least save on all that reading I guess.

My apoligies sir. I miss read your post on the chinese part. but I had heard of what you said about the Moog reducing quality after I had bought mine. Her is to a long and happy life for both yours, mine and the OP's.:cheers:

I just paid $1400 to get mine done. Just so you'll get motorvated to work at doing it yourself and save that money. I suggest getting the greasables since mine were dry and rusty at only 65k miles. I am hearing from several other sources to avoid the Moog brand:stirthepot: and get the Spicer brand the ones made in Canada not the ones made in China. It will say on the box.

Wow that is a lot. I bought XRF ball joints and had some one install them and the grand total was around $500. --- I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?bai1jr 2003 Ram with gauges and a Smarty! Not much more. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...