• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cooling systems

So I was under the truck looking things over and I noticed that it does not look like these trucks do not have oil coolers? Or is the oil cooler integrated with the radiator for the engine coolant?The automatic has what looks like a heat exchanging system to the coolant and then the fluid goes to a radiator in the front?Are these systems adequate if I'm going to be towing/hauling stuff? I plan on getting a 5th wheel in the future. Probably won't buy anything that grosses over 13k pounds.

Oil cooler is behind the oil filter in the block. :whistle:

Posted Image

Does this do a good enough job to keep things cool when hauling a heavy load? How does it function, does it exchange heat with the coolant?

Does this do a good enough job to keep things cool when hauling a heavy load? How does it function, does it exchange heat with the coolant?

That is its purpose. While I dont have a oil temp gauge on mine i do tow a 15k trailer and cooling has never been an issue.

There's guys on these forums who regularly pull well above the trucks GVWR with zero problems from the engine. Keeping the EGT's in check is far more important since those figures are what will dictate engine temp and oil temp. The ISB is classified as a "medium duty" engine as where the Duramax and the Powerstroke are "light duty" engines. So, yes, it can handle whatever you can legally tow and then some.
  • Like 1