• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Wireless is not secure!

• Owner

Check this out I've been wandering through the database of applications for Ubuntu (Synaptic Package Manager) and stumbled across a cracking tool for hacking wireless signals. Produced for Linux...

Aircrack-ng is an 802.11 WEP and WPA-PSK keys cracking program that can recover keys once enough data packets have been captured. It implements the standard FMS attack along with some optimizations like KoreK attacks, as well as the all-new PTW attack, thus making the attack much faster compared to other WEP cracking tools.

http://www.aircrack-ng.org/ This is why I really don't believe in wireless Internet nor like using it...

WPA2-AES is a bit more secure.Aircrack-ng has been around for years. It does work but takes some skill with the harder algorithms. I am sure just not any neighbor can crack your wireless unless you choose a weak algorithm to protect it.It is very difficult to avoid wireless today. Most mobile devices such as smart phone and tablets take advantage of wireless technology and have no provision for ethernet.

• Owner

I just wanted to alert everyone to the wireless limitations. At least people in my area have the idea that wireless is secure and you don't have worry about it. :duh:Like my wireless is harden up quite a bit. I'm using WEP signal (encrptyed), then I'm NOT broadcasting my SSID, then on top of that I'm firewalled for only certain MAC address devices. Basically my wireless doesn't exist to the public but only for my laptop can see it. :smart:Funny my neighbor left his wide open and I can hop on and see all his network... :duh: (Yes. I already warned him too!)

Nothing is really secure under the wrong hands. It makes me nervous thinking I will be on a wireless computer most of the time with the new job. I guess I'll talk to my bank about increasing the security of my accounts. I'll be miles from civilization for weeks at a time, and have no other choice.

I think the biggest risk is from others who may be within range. Even though I'm out in the sticks, I can often see the neighbors wireless. My neighbor had ok'd my connecting to his network back when I was waiting for the ground to thaw so my underground conduit could go it & I was able to hit his wireless at 500-600 feet... only 1 bar but I could connect! I can see both the neighbors networks (either side) now though both have P/Ws. There are even antennas to extend the range... I'm no teckie, don't know how far that would carry.In built up areas... it's too easy to be in range. I know appartment dwellers who share connections routinely (& split the bills).

• Owner

Like if I wanted to I could pack up my laptop, 300w inverter into my pickup and fire up the laptop hunting for a WiFi signal in a town like McCall, ID. Park my truck on the street or parking lot and tap someone's WiFi. Now being a honest person I would just surf my web site and go on about my way. But if your criminal with a stolen credit card, looking to do illegal hacking, etc well this is the perfect place to do it. Because you now got Internet access with a non traceable IP address and nobody knows where your at. It just that the provider of Internet signal takes the fall for the illegal actions because there IP from there wireless hub is logged on what ever server. Like I know my wireless hub has about 500-750 foot range which basically over to the neighbors place too. Once again if I left my WiFi router up and running (broadcasting) even with WEP security it not truly secure as I pointed out. All I'm doing is alerting you all to the fact if it transmitted over the air by radio waves I'm sure someone can/will listen in. If you want a more secure environment I would consider wired if you can. :wink:FYI: Wired networks can travel at speeds up up to 1 Gigabit. Where most wireless are 53 Megabit and lower depending on signal strength.

Now, I'm going to throw this out there. I had a hospital stay a year or more ago. There was supposed to be a wireless connection patients could use. I couldn't see any wireless signal. Eventually (when I was almost ready to leave) I was given the data to access it. The network was open but the network was not broadcast (what ever that means). I think this would be the best security because it's darn hard to target a network you don't know is there. I still have the instruction sheet (pessimist that I am)In XPRight click on wireless icon & choose view available networksclick on change advanced settingsclick on wireless networks tabcheck box "Use windows to configure my wireless networks"click add buttonThe network same SSID type "hospinetwork"

• 5 months later...