• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lower End Noise

This post is for a friend who is having a knocking noise coming from mid section of eng. I say mid because it really does not sound like the lower end like you would hear on a gas motor, thats how I am compairing it because thats what I am used to. And never heard a diesel lower end knock just because they are so bullet proof.He was pulling a load up a slite hill and it started missing then blew out black smoke then started knocking so he pulled over and shut it off, towed it in. Still had good oil pressure when he shut it off :shrug: So we cleaned up a set of old injectors I had and put it back together and the miss is gone but still has knock. This truck is stock but for bhaf and exhaust, well it had a old Blue Chip box on it but that was a long while back. And it has 300k on it, SO motor.I think about it and it makes no sence, good oil pressure. Unless he broke a piston :think:

He was pulling a load up a slite hill and it started missing then blew out black smoke then started knocking so he pulled over and shut it off, towed it in. Still had good oil pressure when he shut it off :shrug: So we cleaned up a set of old injectors I had and put it back together and the miss is gone but still has knock. This truck is stock but for bhaf and exhaust, well it had a old Blue Chip box on it but that was a long while back. And it has 300k on it, SO motor.

I think about it and it makes no sence, good oil pressure. Unless he broke a piston :think:

Sounds to me like a partial melt down. That does happen with even stock trucks! He may have also had one injector not spraying properly and that would cause the same thing too. It will run for quite a while like that, but eventually........:thud: You can run a compression check or just go ahead and pull the head to see what happened. Keep us informed!