• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

05 vs 07 smog stuff effect mpg?

05 gets 22+ around town, 24+ unloaded hwy. I am easy on it becuse its my money. The 07 however, 18 in town and not much more on the hwy. I havent had time to get in the shop manual but I am thinking there are some emmision items on the 07 that may not be on the 05. Of course any speculation of modification is only theoretical :rolleyes:. Both are stock and unchiped. I am going to gauge both before applying an tunners. The 07 has a brand new set of Dodge warranteed injectors in it, thank you Dodge:thumb1: , and the correct filtration. My question: does anyone know what the changes were between the 07 5.9 and the 05 that could be corrected on the 07 and experience with same. My understanding is that the 07 keeps a close track of what is going on in its wiring harness and doesnt like change. I am a longevity guy. I live at 5000 feet and have yet to not have enough grunt from these stock trucks.

I'm no diesel tech but you should start by searching forums on the in cylinder egr the 06-07 trucks use. The extra injection events seem to use more fuel to make sure everything burns off clean. Are these hand calculated numbers? You will find info on all your questions as well as what people are doing to modify these things.

I'm no diesel tech but you should start by searching forums on the in cylinder egr the 06-07 trucks use. The extra injection events seem to use more fuel to make sure everything burns off clean. Are these hand calculated numbers? You will find info on all your questions as well as what people are doing to modify these things.

Sorry, I was in the wrong area when I posted this. I havent hand calculated the figures for a while. I was just looking at the disparity between the numbers. The egr seems to be the place to start, Thanks.

There is nothing mechanically or emissions different from an '05 to an '07. The only thing different is the ECM programming. The '04.5-'05 were rated at 325HP and 600ft. lbs. torque. The '06-'07 were rated at 325 HP also, but torque was upper to 610ft. lbs.Are you "Hand Calculating" mileage for both trucks, or are you going off the overhead "Lie-O-Meter"???

There is nothing mechanically or emissions different from an '05 to an '07. The only thing different is the ECM programming. The '04.5-'05 were rated at 325HP and 600ft. lbs. torque. The '06-'07 were rated at 325 HP also, but torque was upper to 610ft. lbs. Are you "Hand Calculating" mileage for both trucks, or are you going off the overhead "Lie-O-Meter"???

That's interesting. I was under the impression that '06 was the first year for the third injection event. The pistons in the '06 are different than '05 according to advertisments I've seen.

That's interesting. I was under the impression that '06 was the first year for the third injection event. The pistons in the '06 are different than '05 according to advertisments I've seen.

No, the third event started with the '04.5 model. Prior to that, they were 305hp and 555 torque.......unless you had a California model.

So...... This is not to blame in his mileage difference right? Are the trucks geared the same? Next thing that sticks out to me is " dodge " replacement injectors.

If it's a '07.5 it'll have the 6.7L which would give poorer milage.

Tire type, size, air pressure levels, lifted, lifted. 2wd or 4wd. Same driver? long bed, short bed, bed cover on both?The algorithem for figuring the overhead milage will probably be farther off on the older truck vs. hand calculated.The sheetmetal is different on both trucks, so that could have some affect as well.

• Staff

The only differences in 04.5-07 is the 04.5 has an engine or battery box mounted APPS, where the 05+ is just the pedal in the cabin; the lift pump is on the motor in 04.5, and in the tank 05+, the valves and valve lash changed in 06; and the 04.5 was only rated at 600 ft/lbs (thou any flash fixes that), the 05+ was 610 ft/lbs.

The pistons and 3 events are the same.

Are you "Hand Calculating" mileage for both trucks, or are you going off the overhead "Lie-O-Meter"???

Based on the numbers I say lie o meter!

Posted Image

The only differences in 04.5-07 is the 04.5 has an engine or battery box mounted APPS, where the 05+ is just the pedal in the cabin; the lift pump is on the motor in 04.5, and in the tank 05+, the valves and valve lash changed in 06; and the 04.5 was only rated at 600 ft/lbs (thou any flash fixes that), the 05+ was 610 ft/lbs.

The pistons and 3 events are the same.

Based on the numbers I say lie o meter!

Posted Image

Different valves, and valve lash in '06.................first I've heard of that. "Splain please"!!!!

No one urinated in my breakfast this morning either!!!:lmao2::nono:

• Staff

The 04.5-05's use 0.010 intake and 0.020 exhaust, the 06-07's use 0.010 intake and 0.026 intake. There has always been speculation as to why, emissions, valves, etc. If you put the ESN from an 06 or 07 into Cummins' website you get 0.010 and 0.020, so that points to emissions. A few months ago, along with some TDR members, we were talking about it. Using the ESN from my 05 and an 06 the part number for the exhaust valve is different, to what extent is unknown. It is possible the new valve expands more under the heat of the stock timing/3rd event, or simply they were only 98% of the way to the emissions and the extra 0.006 seat time made it 100%.. it's still unknown. clear as mud :-)Recently we did the valves on my dad's 06, and set them to 0.010 and 0.023. 0.023 is within the acceptable range for 05 an 06, and based on ISX's finding will improve some low end performance. His peak boost went up 2 psi from the valve adjust.