• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner

I just took a trip from Spokane to eastern Montana. Made it all the way from Spokane to Billings on one tank. I did the mpg by hand and it average just about 18 and I was going 75 mph just about all the way through Montana. My pickup weighs over 7000 with a automatic so that is not bad.

Remember crossing over 2K on the tach your losing MPG's really quick...

• Owner

Speed limit here locally is 65 MPH but Idaho doesn't have a minimum speed limit so I set my cruise for 55 MPH and yield to traffic behind me. What do I have to hurry for? Like I tell anyone if you want me to drive fast pay for my fuel I'll drive as fast as you want me too. But since I'm paying for the fuel I'll drive as slow as I want too. Yes I've actually dropped cruise as low as 50 MPH in 65 MPH because there is no one around. I'll kick back, turn up the tunes and enjoy the ride... Once again what am I in a hurry for? :shrug:

• Owner

I admit driving 50 mph would give me a lot better milage but traveling 800 miles at 50 mph would take a long long time to get there and at my age time is valueable. :lol:

Naw... 800 Miles / 50 MPH = 16 Hours 800 Miles / 60 MPH = 13.3 Hours 800 Miles / 70 MPH = 11 Hours So there is a few extra hours...

Naw... 800 Miles / 50 MPH = 16 Hours 800 Miles / 60 MPH = 13.3 Hours 800 Miles / 70 MPH = 11 Hours So there is a few extra hours...

Mike by your calcs. Miller time comes 5 hours earlier running 70. Where as running 50 it came and went, till the following day. :think::whistle:

I live on San Juan Island and I'm paying $4.89 gal. as of last week. And it goes up because of tourist season. OH JOY. lol. I do tend to hover around 15-16 mpg, although it is a 55 sq. mile island with a max speed of 45 mph. I would like to get rid of the 4.10 gearing. Can't justify the expense.

I made a trip to orlando and back to the diesel drags last weekend and with just the 100 miles or so of highway my truck got 17.2 mpg and the rest of the tank was around town like always. I think I could probably get 19 or better out on a tank across the country.

• 3 months later...

Reg GAS is hovering just below $4... diesels closer in price than usual, only +.10 or .12 I'd be dancing in the street if I got 25mpg from my truck. I might even get rid of my daily driver. The better mileage is making 12 valves worth keeping up!

Ah, but the propane is the key! Normally I would only get about 18 to 20 mpgs at 65mph...... I also get about 14.5 mpg towing my fiver at 65 mph.

I had a busy weekend, working the '97 dually.. Filled up 3 times in 4 days..Hand-calculated (using GPS total mileage)Th: $3.899 18.5g 246mi = 13.3mpgSa: $3.899 18.8g 234mi = 12.4mpgSu: $3.899 21.2g 248mi = 11.7mpgThis 12V gets no better than my crappy MPGs I got in my '01 6 speed.. :think:

• 2 weeks later...

Been a little busy this year. Haven't put over 1K miles on the 02 Dodge this year since I bought and started driving commercially a 2002 Ford E350 7.3 PSD 3.55. This year I have driven 112,325 miles using 5,870.389 Gallons of fuel for an average of 19.134 MPG. Average cost of fuel was 3.902 per gallon. I am by nature a conservative driver, most of the time with the cruise set at 60-62. These totals include one trip I pulled a tall heavy trailer from AR through TX to AZ and then back. Averaged 12 MPG for about 4K miles on that trip. 3.55 gear SUCKS pulling with a PSD. Totally different torque range. If I could figure out how to install the cummins in the van then I would have something...LOL