• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I have a 2002 Ram 2500 5.9L C code Cummins with the 6 speed and RWD. I have P0112 and P0237 engine lights. Changed both sensors, problems still there. It has limited power past 1200rpm. I checked all the wiring and every wire Ohms out at 0.0 Pins 7 and 11 Ohm out at 65,000 Ohms and I understand it should be less than 100 Ohms so I'm 99.8% sure the ECM is shot. My query is that my ECM P/N is 3947912 but I called Cummins and gave them my VIN# 3B7KC23CX2M202698 and they said the ECM P/N should be 3947412. The wired thing is the ESN for both ECM's are the same 56853373. Im assuming the ECM in the truck is original since the ECM date is 7-21-01 and the truck build date was 7-01. Does anyone know what the difference between the 3947912 and the 3947412 is? Is one the H.O. and one S.O. or one Federal and one Cali emissions? The print out Cummins gave me says 245hp Manual which is the correct configuration for my truck. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if the ECM in my truck has been changed at some point to the wrong one and when I get my ECM rebuilt whick P/N do I give them to rebuild mine to? Thanks for any info!!!

post-11832-138698187904_thumb.jpg

post-11832-138698187912_thumb.jpg

• Owner

As far as I've been told that Cummins will not sell ECM's for our truck. As far as Mopar/Dodge Dealer they only sell blank ECM's. Then as from what Bob Wagner with Smarty says that regardless of ECM it can be reflashed with any software as long as it ECM for your generation. (98.5-02).Where to go? :think:

So it should be fine to assume that my ECM is correct since the truck and the ECM were manufactured in the same month and year? Im hoping that since I give them the VIN that it will be programed correctly regardless. Cummins say they sell the ECM for my truck. I gave them the VIN and he pulled it up. They are blank like the stealership and the same price at $1,200 plus $350 to program. I think I'm going to send my ECM to AES for their R&R service for $580. Has anyone else had them rebuild theirs? They seem like the best that I can find at a reasonable price. Who would you recommend? Thanks!!

• Owner

As for R&R services I've been told several times that the parts are not available for these ECM's to be rebuilt. So usually they will send it back to you still broken. But I always ask the question why is it that Mopar/Cummins still capable of selling new ones? The parts are there but someone isn't telling a full story... :shrug:

• Owner

:doh:Geez... I never gotten straight answer to the ECM problem... I've been following everyone around listening to tales but never gotten straight answer to who can rebuild or replace? I'm sure Dripley will be along today and see this he's got a paperweight ECM on his desk that can't be rebuilt but ended up buy a new one from the dealer. :shrug::banghead: I don't know what to say...

I have been the rebuild route. I will never go there again. It took about 2 weeks to get the first one. I put it on and it did not work. Even generated a p0606 code. The one I sent them would not do that. 4 or 5 weeks laterI got a replacement under warranty. Everything except cruise control worked. The light was on but it would not engage. I was going broke renting a car for my wife to drive and just drove it with out the cruise. That one lasted less than a year and I ended up with one from dodge. I got thru a mechanic for $1000 plus $100 for a core(my rebuild did not even qualify for a core and if youcould see it you would understand)+$250 to install and program. $1350 is a bargain compared to what it cost me in the long run. $620 rebuit ecm(they would not except my oe one, said it was to gone, lost my core charge)$1000 for a rental car$1350 for a proper ecm$120 tow billThats over $3k for something I should have just paid dodge and got it over with or Cummins for that matter. This does not include all the time and aggravation involved. Mine did not come from AES I dont have the invoice to look at with me. But I have seen the same results from AES on CF from other people. I am not sure I have seen anyone have good luck with rebuilds from third party vendors. The one I got from Dodge was a reman but the part looked proper like many other reman part I use, not a cobbled together pos.That said, if they do it right you will come out to the good. If not it is you that will pay the price. Y0ou can see what it cost me in $$$:broke:. Time and aggravation are pricelsess:mad:

I bought a rebuild today for $695. Put it in and my trucks runs great. It would have been $395 if I had sent my computer in. My truck us a work truck so I didnt have that kind of time. This price included the flash. They asked me for my VIN and mileage. It was a pretty easy install as well.

I bought a rebuild today for $695. Put it in and my trucks runs great. It would have been $395 if I had sent my computer in. My truck us a work truck so I didnt have that kind of time. This price included the flash. They asked me for my VIN and mileage. It was a pretty easy install as well.

Where did you get it from?

That is pretty much what I did for the rebuilt I bought except with much differant results. Maybe you have found what it seems others cannot. Might be worth a try. Keep us posted on how it holds up.
  • Like 1