• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Update: truck ran perfect for several days, and then the dreaded TC cycling was back :-(

Rechecked alternator - still good, so decided to do another APPS reset. Runs perfect again! Since I don't have a lot of history on this site, the only things I have done out of the host of fixes floating around for the TCC issue are the BD noise filter several years ago, and most recently, re-routing the large ground wire away from the alternator. All my battery cables and terminals are brand new and the truck overall is still like new with less than 32k on it.

Question for MoparMan or anyone: is it possible the APPS itself is going bad? Is it possible the alternator could still be going bad even though the voltage checks are perfect? I have no other issues with the truck other than the TC cycling - no MIL codes, no dead pedal, no limp mode, no nothing. Any other ideas? I really hate shot-gunning potential "fixes" and trying the other ideas like re-routing more grounds, wrapping wires, etc. without understanding root cause, but I am perplexed at finding the root cause.

My alternator was charging fine, until I had a shop that cold test it for diodes specific and failed on that test, also when you check ac volts on back stud of alternator make sure you rev truck up slowly and use a good meter and not a $5 one. Cheap one will not work. From what I understand normal is .02-.05 ac/v and .1 ac/v max. My alternator was at .6 when revved up to 2500 rpm and .02 at idle, it make since why my problem was noticeable at hwy speeds and up hills. I hope my surge is gone for good and wish you luck with yours, I know how frustrating it is. And yes apps do go bad but I ended up changing mine thinking it was the problem and it didn't help. Rule out alternator for sure before you change somthing else, parts stores will not help you with their testers, find a place that does it for a living or get a meter like Fluke. Edited by Dieselfuture
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

JUst wanted to give an update, as of yet the transmission has been flawless!!! I took it to the shop today and had the tranny flushed, new filter and new and gasket installed. The guy at the shop said that everyting looked perfect inside.  Not bad for never having anyting done from new to 131,000 miles.  I told him about the Diode circuits as discussed here and he said he had heard of that as a fix as well.  Thanks again for the help on here guys, I will be donating soon...as soon as I get my motorcycle out of the shop. I dropped it off today thiinking that I was only going to have rear tire replaced and ended up needing both done and the fork seals need replaced as well, so my bill went from $300-$800!!!  Oh well you play you pay am i right?  SLAP IT HIGH!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I am having this same issue and have replaced the TPS and took the alternator fuse out and neither one has worked, what I've read this has worked for everyone else but I am still experiencing the issue. The problem only occurs part of the time, sometimes it shifts and locks normally and others the issue occurs. Do you have any other recommendations or ideas that i could attempt to solve the problem?

I'll update my torque converter locking/unlocking status.  Whenever mine was acting up, I would tighten the battery cables, and it would go away.  I was using some marine batteries with 3/8 studs, and the usual stack of cables.  I noticed that every time I checked, (basically whenever the lock/unlock thing flared up), I could tighten the nuts a little bit.  The problem got some better when I added lockwashers, so maybe they were backing off, or maybe the springiness of the washer helped make the connection better.  I also noticed that I was overtightening the nuts and very gradually pulling the studs up through the lead terminal.

Anyway, this winter my 3-year-old, $60 Walmart marine department closeout batteries finally began to stagger, so I put in two new, appropriately-sized Interstate batteries with normal posts.  My normal-battery-post tactic is to use the solid brass clamps with studs, and convert all the wires and cable to ring terminals (already done on the previous battery setup). 

So I realized today that I've gone several months now with no lock/unlock problems. 

I guess one other factor is moisture--there seemed to be some correlation between moisture and the problem (for me).  Apparently, moisture is a thing of the past here in NW Oklahoma, so it's no longer a factor.  But maybe it will rain next year, and I will have one more data point. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

hello gents.  new to the site.  i didnt realize mike had his own site...duh...

ive seen his posts elsewhere, but didnt think to check...

so.  i am having the tc issue.  cant say its related to wet or dry, tho im in southern cali and its been super dry here.  ive noticed the issue really stood out after a starter change, disconnected batteries for change out.  today, i did the voltage test.....and say 14v dc....and for ac....it started high....and progressed to zero in under 5 sec.  what am i doing wrong??

i really like the truck....but this is just one of the issues im having....i believe ive got trans issues as it shifts funny and doesnt like to shift into OD unless i back off throttle or drive faster than 60mph.

ill search other threads for input on trans issues.

thanks for the time.  looking forward to the knowledge.

ill give it a shot.

if problem persists...what else could cause it? low fluid? speed sensor sending funky signals to apps??

If the truck dies when you pull the alternator fuse it probably means your batteries are toast. It should run for quite a while with out an alt. Did you reset the apps after you had the batteries disconnected? If not this can cause some drive ability issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Update to the update, its back!!! I barely have 2000 miles on the truck since "the fix" and it started hunting, unlocking and bouncing back and forth. Now what?

Ok guys just a quick tidbit of information. Has anyone here corrected the grounding issue on the trucks prone to this issue?

If the diodes are constantly taking a dump it would seem to me that only 2 reasons for this to occur are happening. A: poor construction and B: ground based issue. I myself have alot of altered and added ground wires on the truck. Especially from the PCM to the body ground and the alternator to ground. I will be going through my grounds in the winter months to clean them also and add some sealer to them to prevent further and future corrosion.

Mike has been nailing this problem on the alternator diode trio failure for some time but I have taken additional precautions to help with future issues.

Edited by Vais01

Can't remember if I posted in this thread .... but Mike on a 24v TPS ppump .... same issues .... different cause.

There was a dead spot in the TPS itself ... so basically as you moved the throttle the voltage went up .... but right near lockup there was a dead spot and voltage goes to 0. Lockup in and out.

New TPS .... a good.