• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Yea I mean definitely glad that the bad grounds fixed your situation, but from the findings on this site, once the alternator starts to die and the AC noise increases, this problem will return, only to be fixed by replacing the alternator. Obviously a poor ground connection will cause issues, but I don't believe that's the root of the problem here.

• Like 1

I've had this issue for a while and I've had the local alternator shop do a bench test and they say everything is fine. I have also taken the plug from the back of the alternator out and they issue continued. I just went a few weeks with no issue and yesterday it started again real bad. The truck is also starting slower and not firing right up like usual. Can bad batteries cause the lock up issue? I read somewhere that the pcm could be messed up from previous ac noise. 

2001 truck 

Did they test it for ac voltage and if so what did they see Thats where the problem lies. Get your batteries tested. weak batteries will cause issues also. Replace them both even if only one test bad. You are only as good as your weakest battery.

• Like 2

To be honest I am not sure but probably not.  When I explained the situation they basically didn't believe what I was saying like it was another language. Sad thing is, they are the only alternator shop around.  Can anyone point me in the direction of a good volt meter to do the test myself?

If it was the alternator,would the problem randomly stop for a few weeks at a time? Yesterday morning it was doing it,then after work and this morning. Then after work it did it,stopped for fuel and now it's running fine.  

Also it still does it with alternator not plugged in.  I will be bringing the batteries this week to get tested 

From everything I have read and personally experienced when having them tested it does not surprise me. A lot of folks who do the test do not have clue. The hook it up and if the machine says OK then it is OK. 

I will defer to others more knowledgeable than me for volt meter recommendation. I am somewhat electrically insufficient.

As far as it being random, I dont know.

Have you ever gone thru your grounds on the electrical system? Crappy grounds, weak batteries, and dirty connections will make these truck do crazy things. I dont know how electrically inclined you are but you are about to find out. I am weak on the wiring. Not afraid to tackle most anything else at all, but the wiring stumps alot.

Thanks for the recommendation on the meter. I am not really electronically inclined at all. I've checked all grounds as far as I know and cleaned battery terminals. I'm going to be fooling around with the grounds again and see if I can find anything else. The batteries will be tested this weekend. The way it's been starting may be an indication to that. What's making it tough is how it will stop for a couple weeks making me think it's fixed then boom, it's back

A lot of alternator shops don't look for AC output of the alternator.  In most cases it does not cause a problem in vehicles.  For some reason our machines are more susceptible to it.

My favorite alt/starter shop here, we talked about this.  He does not usually look for it.  I brought my brother's Alt in as it had a high AC output.  When I dropped it off, I told the rebuilder what I saw, and what I was trying to eliminate.  He didn't call back for a few days, but it was no big deal.  He works hard to only replace what needs replacing, and not overcharging a customer.  He could see what I was talking about (while he didn't normally check for it, he was looking for it for me, but the alternator passed every other test possible.)  He called a buddy of his that runs a local (and good) transmission shop.  (basically to verify my explanation)  He said the transmission rebuiler had run into similar situations, and that it was theoretically possible and to keep looking at the alternator.  So he went ahead and started removing the rectifier board.  The last contact that he was removing on one of the diodes, was bad.  He put the new rectifier in, and all was good.   He said he never would have found that if not for the AC that I was worried about.   The rebuild cost me like $125 instead of the normal 35 to 40, but was worth it.  (I think he had more time in it than that, and his hunting/searching etc.  but I also didn't call and bug him while he was thinking it through.)  (mine and my brother's alt are the Denso not the bosch, so the parts seem a bit more expensive.

This is why getting a "rebuilt" alt from a box store is a crap shoot.  They don't "replace every part"  they replace what the tests show them to replace.  So that one failed solder on the rectifier board would have been missed.  While you got it as a "rebuilt" and have new bearings some paint and clean, it would still have had the AC noise.  

Johnny  go back to the alternator shop and show them the AC noise.  (he should have a volt meter there, but if not, maybe you will have yours.)  The volt meters that harbor freight gives away (with a coupon usually)  are not terrible.  They can't take a beating (I have fried quite a few) but they are worth what you paid for them!.  (don't check resistance on a powered circuit!!!)  I find good deals on meters at pawn shops too.  Fluke or Simpson are my favorites.

Once he sees what your problem is, it could be the rectifier bridge, brushes etc.  (I think someone found a problem in the rotor once too that was causing it... can't verify it at the moment.)

HTH

Hag 

• Owner
3 hours ago, Haggar said:

In most cases it does not cause a problem in vehicles.  For some reason our machines are more susceptible to it.

Actually, All vehicles are having problems with the AC noise it just manifests in different ways. Like our truck in torque converter lockup. Other vehicles might have cluster issues, cruise control issues, the list goes on. The problem is most people don't consider the alternator as a source of problems. All of today's vehicles have computers, all of them have alternators, so any of them can have AC noise issues... Again they manifests in different ways or failures.

I'm going to attempt talking to them again. The first time didn't go so well and everyone thinks I'm crazy. I had them rebuild the alternator and replace everything but the problem came back. Dodge has a new one for 260. Would I be better off going with the factory one or is the possibly of getting a bad one still common?

• Owner

Won't make a bit of difference. I've seen guys now spend huge money of dealer alternators and new alternators but this does NOT promise a high quality alternator. I've seen in both cases of dealer and new alternators of guys get up to 5 alternators in a row that were all bad in the box. You could spend big money on the oversized alternator. Like National Alternators I don't have enough information of life span on these yet.

Definitely attempting to not spend big money. 

I will check myself for ac noise this weekend and have batteries tested. The issue hasn't happened for about a day and a half so far so it makes it tough to track down the issue. The volt meter I have is one of the cheaper ones. I'll watch the video on how to check for the noise. Then I can attempt to have the alternator redone again. They rebuilt it about 3 or 4 months ago 

Who out there has a reliable alternator rebuilder  who has dealt with this issue and understands it? I'll just flat rate ship the thing out to get rebuilt. I don't trust this local guy and want to resolve the issue. 

Edited by Johnnyusmc

48 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm going to start hunting for a rebuild kits that are more user friendly. LarryB's are fine but the diode pack is very expensive. 

But if they last....the reliability of box store reman parts is just incredibly horrible to say the least. It's ridiculous. I don't know how they stay in business with such poor quality control.