• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need help on bidding a job.

hex0rz

Alright, so a career guy at the fire dept. noticed I did work on my truck when I came in to use the air hose for rebuilding my calipers. He expressed his interest in the fact that I was working on a Dodge truck, as he owns one, too. He asked me if I had ever done the front axle seals for them and told him I have.He was not too hot on doing it himself(too busy), nor appealed at getting it done at a shop. I told him I would be willing to do it for him if he wanted to pay me. Hes willing to let me do the work, but I really dunno how much I should charge him for the job. I can do the work, I just usually 'am not doing it on a vehicle unless its mine. So the whole idea on how much to bid it for is a new thing to me.I figure the shop would charge him $300-400 to do the job. I was thinking about charging $200 to do it. Maybe $150. What seems fair to bid on a job like this? I think his truck is also a 1/2 ton and not a 3/4 ton. I have only done my 3/4 ton but I think the 1/2 tons are done the same way except on a bit of a smaller scale.

I tend to do things extremely cheap (free) but I dont think you are out of line at $150 or so if he is supplying seals.

Well, I called around. Got a chance to call a couple people and got estimates. I got one place that said $600. Another place said it varies due to the amount of possible corrosion. He said it could take between 4-13 hours. Their shop rate is $65/hr. So, maybe charging $200 for the job is not such a farfetched thing...

Never, ever do work for friends on a $$$$ scale. Always make it a somewhat "barter system" where you negotiate the the "worth" of the labor. Dollars ruin friendships IMHO!!

Well, he is not my friend. By definition atleast. You could call him my "brother". But thats about it, lol. I don't think he could offer me much except alooooot of beer. But I don't like to drink that stuff much. ...I'm moving before the end of the month anyways. So I dunno what the chances would be of seeing him after doing this for him. :thumbup2:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Owner

Never, ever do work for friends on a $$$$ scale. Always make it a somewhat "barter system" where you negotiate the the "worth" of the labor. Dollars ruin friendships IMHO!!

I understand this very well. I've done a lot of it here in Idaho with friends... Something to watch out for is as you continue to barter with friends over and over eventually will try to slide out from under his end of the bargain long after the the job was done for him. I got one that still owes me over 3 cords of firewood yet. Then another one I spent 2 day helping him rebuild a Kubota Diesel tractor and got nothing. I don't mind bartering but when you friends look at you like "Wow! I can get it done on credit with him." Get it in some sort of writing if this a repeat offender... :smart: I love to donating time fixing vehicles and equipment but when the donated time is never returned in a timely fashion then the friendship goes downhill anyways.

Yea, doing things for friends or people that you have good relations with is always walking the fine line. I say sticking to business and just making sure its a fair deal, is the important factor, IMO. As long as both parties hold their end of the deal, its good to go.

I like helping friends. but those 'friends' who don't ever return help, they are charged $50/hr, for most stuff, unless it's like brakes, etc., where I'll price parts, factor in a couple hours or whatever, then throw a total price at 'em.