• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Timing cover leak

I have a 2002 Ram 2500 Rwd 5.9L H.O. 6 speed. I had a small oil leak. It was leaking out of the over flow catch bottle. So, I did the crank case vent mod that I found in the tech articles here. So small oil lear went to a smaller oil leak. I power washed the driver side of the engine to get a better look at where the leak is coming from. It only leaks when its running. There is usually about 3 drops on the ground after you shout it off.It appears that the oil leak is coming from where the vp44 pump and air pump/ power steering pump bolts to the back of the timing plate. I guess my main question is how hard this is to do and what is the best way to attack this. Can I take the timing cover off, put the motor to TDC, pull the gears off the injection pump and air pump, and pull the timing plate off the front of the motor avoiding taking the injection lines off. Or should I just man up and take the front cover off, put the motor to TDC, take the gears off, and pull the injection pump/injection lines and air pump our from the back and change seal. Is there a gasket or seal between these pumps and timing plate? Thanks for any info.

I have a 2002 Ram 2500 Rwd 5.9L H.O. 6 speed. I had a small oil leak. It was leaking out of the over flow catch bottle. So, I did the crank case vent mod that I found in the tech articles here. So small oil lear went to a smaller oil leak. I power washed the driver side of the engine to get a better look at where the leak is coming from. It only leaks when its running. There is usually about 3 drops on the ground after you shout it off. It appears that the oil leak is coming from where the vp44 pump and air pump/ power steering pump bolts to the back of the timing plate. I guess my main question is how hard this is to do and what is the best way to attack this. Can I take the timing cover off, put the motor to TDC, pull the gears off the injection pump and air pump, and pull the timing plate off the front of the motor avoiding taking the injection lines off. Or should I just man up and take the front cover off, put the motor to TDC, take the gears off, and pull the injection pump/injection lines and air pump our from the back and change seal. Is there a gasket or seal between these pumps and timing plate? Thanks for any info.

I would make sure that you are 100% confident in the idea that either the vp44 or the vacuum pump is really the culprit in the oil leak. That is ALOT of involved work to justify fixing an leak that produces 3-4 drops. IMO it may very well not be them. Check the crankcase breather adapter to the timing cover. Also, check and see if it is your vacuum pump that is leaking. Its possible for it to leak at the mating surface to the timing case, but I doubt it. Your more likely to see the seal leaking on the pump that is between the vacuum pump and power steering. Goulds has the vacuum pump seal kit. Only place I know of that makes one for the pump. Looking at $400 to replace if not. Seal kit is like $60. Also, check the fitting line that feeds oil to the vacuum pump. May be a bad line or fitting.