• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lightning Fast Linux Web Server Backups!

• Owner

With all the time I spend working on web servers I've found new ways of backing up files and MySQL databases fast so I don't have to download files across the Internet or FTP stuff back and forth.

So here is my BASH script...

#!/bin/bashcd ~/folder/forum/tar -zcvf forum-backup-$(date '+%m-%d-%Y').tar.gz ~/folder/forum/cd ~/folder/articles/tar -zcvf articles-backup-$(date '+%m-%d-%Y').tar.gz ~/folder/articles/
This little but effective script creates a TARball file similar to ZIP in Windows and the file name has a date stamp in it so if there is several backups made they are all dated.

forum-backup-06-08-2012.tar.gz

Just for fun facts todays backup at 06/08/2012 is roughly 1.3 GB just for the forum alone! :stuned::wow:

The it switches directories and backs up the article files as well in the same manner.

articles-backup-06-08-2012.tar.gz

But it allows me to back up the 2 big chunks of the site in less than about 10 minutes tops. :wink:

Same with the MySQL databases... :whistle:

#!/bin/bashcd /usr/bin//usr/bin/mysqldump -h [I]forummysqladdress[/I] -u [I]username[/I] -p[I]password dbname[/I] | gzip > $HOME/folder/folder/folder/forum_$(date +"%Y-%m-%d").sql.gz/usr/bin/mysqldump -h [I]articlesmysqladdress[/I] -u [I]username[/I] -p[I]password[/I] [I]dbname[/I] | gzip > $HOME/folder/folder/folder/articles_$(date +"%Y-%m-%d").sql.gz
forum_2012-06-08.sql.gz

articles_2012-06-08.sql.gz

No downloading required! :thumb1:

• Like 1