• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Never took a truck this heavy before Most people are running 20psi all around I was going to do 25 front and 20 back. Here's a pic . Most people drive around town like this too and only re inflate when they leave after a week .., Thoughts ?

• Owner

Common practice in the snow too. But with the tires deflated that low be very aware of your road speeds because the tire is flexing much more and will weaken if driven at highway speeds. Getting around town 25-35 MPH I don't see any problems with that.Like my truck in the winter time when there is lots of snow and ice I will drop tire pressures to about 35 all way around if I know the highway is ugly. So just be cautious with your road speed and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

• Owner

Another way to verify it... After driving a distance with the pressure low measure the tire temp with your hand. The tires are hot to the touch bring the pressure up a bit more say another 5 PSI. Remember there is 1,100 pound engine up from so the weight is there and must be aware of that factor.

• Staff

I used to run my 33's and 35's at about 8-11 psi for sand/snow.. of course that was on a rig that weighed less than my truck does on the front axle. That looks a little low in the front to me, I would go up to 30 unless your stuck. I run about 40/25 on mine for elk hunting and even at 40 the 5000 lbs on the front axle squashes some sidewall.

After years playing in the sand along the Missouri river here in ND I found that instead of airing tires down, that traction or ladder bars were the ticket. After being in 4WD all the time in the super soft sand and wheel hopping every where after the ladder bar install on my 02 I was able to drive around on the sand in 2wd where I normally would have been wheel hopping in 4wd. It surprised the heck out of me the difference it made. I rarely had to put it into 4wd afte that on the beach and I never aired the tires down again after that either.It was purely an accident that I found this out, I put the ladder bars on for my racing and pulling but the off roading in sand and plowing through snow and eliminating the wheel hop during these activities was the best gain of all from the bars.

Full length, about 3-4 feet long run from frame in front of rear axle to the bottom of the axle to stop axle leaf spring wrap up. Mine were ladder bars, traction bars are a straight rod with heim joints on both ends same concept different design. http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3503&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1327271960http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3504&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1327271987

After years playing in the sand along the Missouri river here in ND I found that instead of airing tires down, that traction or ladder bars were the ticket. After being in 4WD all the time in the super soft sand and wheel hopping every where after the ladder bar install on my 02 I was able to drive around on the sand in 2wd where I normally would have been wheel hopping in 4wd. It surprised the heck out of me the difference it made. I rarely had to put it into 4wd afte that on the beach and I never aired the tires down again after that either. It was purely an accident that I found this out, I put the ladder bars on for my racing and pulling but the off roading in sand and plowing through snow and eliminating the wheel hop during these activities was the best gain of all from the bars.

How does that help pulling the weight of the truck through the soft sand ? Would have thought that would just help in less hopping as you said and better traction when in 4wd ? Ive been driving on the sand and road last two days with 25 front and 20 back. Thinking of bumping the fronts up to 30 due to the sidewall flex ...... its handling the sand ok .........

How does that help pulling the weight of the truck through the soft sand ? Would have thought that would just help in less hopping as you said and better traction when in 4wd ? Ive been driving on the sand and road last two days with 25 front and 20 back. Thinking of bumping the fronts up to 30 due to the sidewall flex ...... its handling the sand ok .........

The reason for sinking into the sand in the first place is spinning your wheels and without the ladder or traction bars the axles tend to develop wheel hop from sinking just a bit and pushing the sand as the leaf springs wrap or twist they cause the axle to hop when it snaps back thus causing unwanted wheel spin. If you can prevent the leaf springs and axle from wraping up you get 100% of the traction to the ground via wheels turning versus spinning and snapping keeping you on top and not digging through or into the sand. Does this kind of make sense? I can't find any better way of describing it. It has the same results in deep snow as well. I had limited slip as well which can contribute to more wheel hop than an open diff.

Does this kind of make sense? I can't find any better way of describing it.

Sure does. Wouldn't have thought it would have made that much difference in the sand - but good to know :) Thx boss. ok quick side question - I am going to be hitting the beach like almost everyday for 1 month. I am not allowed to wash the frame down at RV park. Nearest wash is like a 10 min drive the other way. ok to wash down every 3-4 days ??? Not really sure how much its going to help anyways since I hit it each morning whilst I am here. :shrug:

Also, the ladder bars will act like a lever and using the torque from the axle, plant the tires firmly in the sand with more force rather than lifting with wheel hop.

• 4 weeks later...

Me too!!!!! I have not gotten the gear out yet this year.... and don't see a chance in the near future. (I might just dive in my neighbors pool!)We could tow those lines out deep for you!!! Happy 4th!!!Hag

Very long ago, in a previous life, I was a scuba diver / instructor...

Posted Image

Retrieving a nice old truck from Salt Pond... that's me on the running boards

Posted Image

A couple of my buddies at 60 feet off Cape Ann, Mass (photo with a Instamatic camera in a plexi housing)

Posted Image

Preping a class for their open water dive Rockport, Mass (Cape Ann) c1973 That's my 68 Road Runner...

I can only be glad I did what I did, when I did & got some pictures. Physical limitation s*ck.