• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Engine temp too high pulling my 5'er, What can I do

Ok well we'll see if I can keep y'all engaged here...

The pull was from Katy Texas, Camping World RV to San Antonio. About 188.2 miles according to Google Map.

For those who may not know, it's flat, with rolling hills (I use that word loosely, big mounds of dirt is more like it). This will come into play later.

Here is my set up and whats in my sig.

Posted Image

It sat nice. I did pre-hook up measurements with my airlift bags. They were as fallows:

From the concrete to the bottom of the receiver hitch on the bumper

5 psi - 21 3/4"

50 psi - 23"

70 psi - 23 1/2"

90 psi - 23 7/8" (100 psi is the max but I just did 90 for 20 psi increments)

Here are the specs on my truck and trailer:

- 255/85/R16 BFG KM2's @ 80 psi rear / 70 psi front (trailer hooked up)

Posted Image

- Airlift air bags at hook up were 5 psi (they went flat with the arm raise, to the point i was like I need to put air in them NOW before something breaks... it was bad, heavy trailer) then pumped them to 90 psi.

- at 90 psi with the trailer hooked on, the measurement was 22 1/2" (good in my book) (trailer hooked up)

Posted Image

Posted Image

- Edge on 5x5 (98% of the time 3x3 2% of the time, I was trying Mopar1973man's set up)

- Gears 3.55

- Trailer tires Goodyear 235/70/15 (or very close to that) G load rating 65 psi

- Trailer weighs 11210 via 2003 Holiday Rambler Price, Values & 2003 Holiday Rambler Pricing Specs | NADAguides (model M-36SIT)

So we set out... First thing I notice, SMOKE ... like holly wow, that may actually put a hole in the ozone, damn! So I tried slowing down, that helped.

Get on the freeway, I-10 to San Antonio. After about 5 mins of driving this is what my panel looks like Posted Image

Notice anything... yeah my engine heat is HIGH, and that was average at that point! IS THIS NORMAL? IF NOT HOW DO I STOP IT?????

As I go down the road, nearing San Antonio, those "hills" come into play. My rpms don't drop, my speed doesn't drop, but the engine temp sky rockets to the point covering the 2 on the 240 and bumping that little red line. (I don't like that).

So what I did to help NOT do that was on any, and I mean if I felt that truck even hint at wanting more fuel, I down shifted into 5th, hitting 2,200 - 2,300 Rpms... It helped a little but at 50 to 55 mph... yeah

My egts where another thing, Edge 5x5

Flats 800 - 1,200*

hills 1,000 - 1,200*

5th gear - 800 - 1,000*

Yes, I down shifted when I saw 1,200*

Got to San Antonio, the pull was very nice, straight, the Air bags were awesome, the BD Exhaust brake was amazing, the Valair Clutch never blinked with my 6 speed.

Got to the pumped and wanted to cry

Posted Image

That math 188.2/20 = 9.41 mpg Posted Image

1) What should I do to get better MPG's?

2) How, besides Water/meth (in the plans down the road, got a wedding to pay for here in July) can I get my engine temp down? (Next haul WILL be at Edge 3x2 or less!)

I have to make it to N. Idaho from S. Texas in early July for that wedding I was talking about, with this temp issue, I don't know what to do going up the grades, in the altitude I know is coming? Please info will be nice.

• Owner

First off... SLOW DOWN! :ahhh:

I never tow any faster than 55-60 MPH being that 99% off all trailer tires are rated for 65 MPH so its best to stay below this speed. (Refering to your pic of the speedo at nearly 67 MPH!)

As for me I got to tow over 6-7% grade lasting from 2-3 miles to 7-9 miles long. Never have problem with engine temp as long as I....

1. Keep my speed below 60 MPH

2. Watch the pyrometer and down shift and slow down if it rises above 1,000*F. If I have to down shift again and hold again at 2K RPM's

Another thing what is your radiator face look like? is it caked with engine oil and dirt? Is your fan clutch functional? Can you hear the fan lock up? It should sound like a turbo prop plane taxing to take off. Is you radiator internally plugged up? How about the thermostat?

Wow! I just got back from a trip to Ontario,OR and Boise,ID and made 13 MPG on the trip. As for your heat and low mileage I would be looking at drag as being #1 hitter in your problems. Dragging brakes, wheel bearing, anything to cause drag. As for every 5 MPH you rise up from 55 MPH you killing MPG really quick because of your frontal area (wind drag) the more time you can cruise at 55 MPH the better your MPG will be. Wind drag is exponential so from 55 MPH to 65 MPH it doubles from 65 to 75 it doubles again or quadruples from 55 MPH. SLOW DOWN!

As for my tires 60 PSI Front axle. 70 PSI rear axle. Trailer ar Load Range D's (65 PSI) crossing the scales at 16,000 to 17,000 pounds Gross combined weight.

Typically towing EGT's is 600-800*F at 55 MPH. Towing over 6% grade at 53 MPH its 1,100*F and steady. My engine coolant rises to about 205*F and steady after the fan locks up.

As for my Edge Comp is remains on 5x5... I've NEVER turn it down... But just for fun while your towing turn it completely OFF and watch your pyrometer... You'll find out it doesn't change.

Anything over the far end bracket is shut down point (when the :gages: comes on!) Time to pull over and let it cool down or slow way down and walk it over the grade at speeds no greater than 25-35 MPH which I've had to do on a few nasty grades around here.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/images/members-rides/mopar1973man/2000-jayco/blackcanyon11.jpg

All my RV specs...

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/members-rides/17-mopar1973man/27-2000-jayco-eagle-296-fbs

Oh just for fun... Some of the grades around here are really steep!

DSCF4029.jpg

My truck hauls heavy for a living...

post-2-138698188742_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

What is a good rpm to run a t for the water pump and good mpgs,

MPG wise 55 MPH is best...

But for climbing grade I would drop 1 gear kick the RPM's back to 2,000 and hold if you can if not the drop another gear and kick RPM's back up 2,000 RPM. Keep repeating till you control your temps. Yes it might be necessary to drop all the way down to 25-35 MPH. Follow the truckers lead... The crawl over grades sometimes as slow as 15-20 MPH... I fall right in behind and follow them along.

Did you pull the radiator out and physically look at the face? This below is a instant fail!

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have pulled the same stretch of hwy with a lot more weight than that. You got something wrong, radiator or something. My truck weigh's 11k and my trailer empty is 8k and I pulled the hills in Lampasses and my eng temp. never broke 210, egt's will get high but you just got to back out of it and they will go back down no problem.You need to unplug the edge and see if your timing or something is causing the problem. If you never cleaned the rad. I would bet that's it.

• Owner

How do you test the fan clutch? Mine has gotten up over 210 and I have never heard it kick on.

Might be time to consider a fan clutch. There really isn't a test for it other than put a load on the truck make it climb a steep hill. Since I've got all these steep forestry roads I normally hear it in a short period of time after starting my way up the mountain. Got to admit it sounds wicked to hear the fan kick in at 15-25 MPH climbing steep mountain roads...
  • Like 1

Side note... Since you coming my way and going to pass my place you better stop in and let me look at that beast. Also take my phone numbers down from the 911 listing before you set out because I'd be more than willing to try and bail you out if your in my neighborhood. :smart:

I am unfortunately going through Pocatello route. But I will for sure do what you mention about 55 mph... I think that is the ticket. But I'll get your number for sure, If I come back that way I'll see y'all for sure but we are supposed to hit Yellowstone on the return.

I have pulled the same stretch of hwy with a lot more weight than that. You got something wrong, radiator or something. My truck weigh's 11k and my trailer empty is 8k and I pulled the hills in Lampasses and my eng temp. never broke 210, egt's will get high but you just got to back out of it and they will go back down no problem. You need to unplug the edge and see if your timing or something is causing the problem. If you never cleaned the rad. I would bet that's it.

Ask Mopar1973man (and I agree) about taking out the Edge. I doubt very seriously that will do much of anything. My trailer is 11,270 dry, putting me at about 17K to 18K GCVW (Cargo depending). How does your truck weigh 11K? For the record I flushed the rad. today, thinking i'll put in a new t-stat tomorrow, tuning down my edge (for now) to about 3x1 - 2x1, and maybe try a 5x1. We'll see what happens. I'll keep y'all included on the results on my 3 hr drive.

• Owner

As for weights...

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]

Scale

[/TD]

[TD=align: center] Maximum Weight[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] GAWR Front[/TD]

[TD=width: 27%] 4,040 [/TD]

[TD=width: 27%, align: center] 5,200[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 46%] GAWR Rear[/TD]

[TD=width: 27%] 4,280 [/TD]

[TD=align: center] 6,084[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 46%] GVWR

[/TD]

[TD=width: 27%]

[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 8,800[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 46%] GCWR

[/TD]

[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 20,000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 46%] Trailer Weight

[/TD]

[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 13,650[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 46%] Tongue Weight[/TD]

[TD=width: 27%] [/TD]

[TD=align: center] 900[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

As for the edge Comp...

Main level are how much maximum fuel and timing your going to give...

1. 40 HP

2. 60 HP

3. 80 HP

4. 100 HP

5. 120 HP

Sublevels are how faster you get to maximum fuel and timing in relationship to boost. Now remember levels 1-3 are BELOW stock rate and will most likely make MPG worse because no timing is given till you exceed the boost limit. This levels are defuel modes typically use for smoke control.

1. 33% of stock fuel/timing till 20 PSI of boost.

2. 50% of stock fuel/timing till 15 PSI of boost.

3. 67% of stock fuel/timing till 10 PSI of boost.

These are power modes. 5 will given instant timing across the full range of boost where all other sublevel will not. this is the best sublevel to use for MPG while even towing.

4. Some extra fuel and timing given at 0 boost.

5. Full fuel and timing given at 0 boost.

So if you trying to control heat then you change main level but keep your sublevel high. (1x5, 2x5, 3x5, 4x5, 5x5) being main level controls maximum fuel and timing where sublevel only changes when you get it.

But still the funny part is no matter what level to use to tow your RIGHT FOOT is what makes heat. Like I said you can shut off the Edge Comp and still never change the EGT's on bit climbing a hill. Because the Edge Comp goes off the power is lost so you foot drops more to hold speed and EGT climb right back up. Once again its about slowing down...

I definately take a look at that radiator. Even with me plling 22.5k I have never seen the egt's, or engine temps you are seeing. Milage was similar when i run 70+ mph. I slowed down my last haul to 65 tops and with the new rv275's got 11.35 for milage. My 5th wheel stands 12'8".post-10340-138698189025_thumb.jpg This is all thru mostly foot hill territory and not flat lands.

• Like 1

Well went to San Antonio to Sonora. Hill country. And it was 106*. Did MUCH better. 10 mpg though but that is an improvement. 190-210* most of the way, dis hit 220ish once 3/4 in the tripPulled in these settingsedge comp:5x55x35x13x33x22x3Hay to say my favs are 5x1 and 5x3. 5x5 did fine but thought 5x1-3 was a smoother pull. Settings did not seem to matter for temp or Egt s. Believe it or not! Today on my way to work I found a boost leak. Did either on this pull or the previous pull to San Antonio. My Egts were getting hight driving w/o the trailer. Tipping in at 1000*-1,100* going up and ramp at 65 in 6th. Never sewn that before. (Now fixed) so... all in all it was good. Like y'all said, slow down, 5th gear is your savior pulling, 2k-2,100 rpm is were its at, and temps controlled by your right foot.Sent from my C771

• Owner

Settings did not seem to matter for temp or Egt s. Believe it or not!

See I told you... :whistle: So if you want to control heat (EGT's or Coolant) take your foot off the throttle and allow the truck to do it job without being rushed. Now all you got to do is catch up to my MPG marks now so far I'm averaging 13-14 MPG (towing) 22-23 MPG (empty). :duh: Something none of thought of is a boost leak... :banghead:

Amazing what the turbo does. I was pulling our trailer at 70 at 600-700F and the intercooler boot blew off doing "something" and it was amazing how quickly the EGT's went up. I had to slow down to 55 in 5th and was running at 1000F. Obviously that heat adds to the coolant temp.

I had to slow down to 55 in 5th and was running at 1000F. Obviously that heat adds to the coolant temp.

this is me to a T! Loved 1,000 but could see 1,400* if I wasn't paying attention. BUT I SHOULD OF KNOWN BY THE NOISE! I have pics but I'm on my phone in the middle of nowhere Texas.

I have pulled the same stretch of hwy with a lot more weight than that. You got something wrong, radiator or something.

I agree.

Besides checking for drag ..... no way engine should be getting that hot.

So some precautionary work to eliminate a few things.

Get a 180 TSTAT - good for towing.

Flush your coolant and radiator.

Check your radiator and fan.

What does your temperatures run during DD. Do you EVER see over 190.

W/M sucks - been there done that should have listened to W&F 2 years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

:duh: Something none of thought of is a boost leak... :banghead:

That would show up as higher EGT - I didnt see his being too high running 5x5 ......

But he did mention all the black smoke - which is strange .......

• Owner

I agree.

Besides checking for drag ..... no way engine should be getting that hot.

So some precautionary work to eliminate a few things.

Get a 180 TSTAT - good for towing.

Flush your coolant and radiator.

Check your radiator and fan.

What does your temperatures run during DD. Do you EVER see over 190.

W/M sucks - been there done that should have listened to W&F 2 years ago.

That would show up as higher EGT - I didnt see his being too high running 5x5 ......

But he did mention all the black smoke - which is strange .......

I still run the factory 190*F thermostat and no issue with coolant temp. Climbing grade I do see about 208*F but that is still very serviceable.

Fan clutch is a big deal. I would make sure it locking up and pulling more air through the radiator once again it can pull air through if the face is plugged up with dirt, oil, and grime.

Even CajFlynn our Million mile truck owner will tell you there is no reason to exceed 60-65 MPH while towing anywhere in the USA. He tows cross country through just about every state there is with large boats. Typically he keeps his speed down and never allow the boost to climb more that 20 PSI on any grade. If the boost has climb above that he just slows down and follows the truckers.

CajFlynn's 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 with a 53 Block over 1.2 MILLION miles hauling boats.

Posted Image

If this man can do it day in and day out no reason you can't... :smart:

If this man can do it day in and day out no reason you can't... :smart:

I agree mike - and not to sound argumentative but there appears a problem on his truck though. 240 degrees coolant temp is NOT normal that I have EVER seen even pulling at 1250 continuous EGT. 210 MAX regardless if everything is working as deseigned. Since he said his EGT was hills 1,000 - 1,200* That makes me think he has a problem with his cooling system somewhere TSTAT/WATERPUMP/COOLANT/FAN/RADIATOR If it was EGT causing the issue I would be thinking BOOSTLEAK/TURBO/TOO FAST Or a bad pyro / gauge What Im real concerned about for him - if its not coolant - he could melt a piston or do real damage. Doesnt add up. Its great cat and you and me and otehrs can do it - but he needs to find the source of the heat issue IMO
  • Like 1