• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Engine temp too high pulling my 5'er, What can I do

Isn't there a boost gauge on the beast? If it leaked enough to cause 0psi boost, you would be in 3rd gear at 25mph the whole time with that load. I just had well actually I pulled his trailer so it was like a little 1000lb enclosed little trailer. Just with that and no boost it was horrible. No power, just smoke. I have a bigger trailer that might be 4000lb with all of our crap in it and I run up hills by rolla, MO that are like 2 miles long and not sure what grade but steep enough all the semi's are down to 30mph at the top from 65mph. I am running 20psi the entire way up them holding 70mph. I don't even have a fan and run maybe a max of 205F. Really just need to hear some boost numbers IMO..

First off, nice ride! As with many here, I suspect the fan clutch, dirty or clogged radiator. If at that temperature, if it doesn't sound like a helicopter under your hood, your probably not turning enough air. If you have good fan lockup, I would suspect the good old oiled Cummins radiator syndrome. MoparMan has a good setup for fixing this.

Anyway, if you are getting not alot of wind noise under that load at that temp, replace the fan clutch. Frankly, if its original, it's a cheap fix and good insurance to do anyway.

Have you tracked down the problem here yet?

Ok well we'll see if I can keep y'all engaged here...

The pull was from Katy Texas, Camping World RV to San Antonio. About 188.2 miles according to Google Map.

For those who may not know, it's flat, with rolling hills (I use that word loosely, big mounds of dirt is more like it). This will come into play later.

Here is my set up and whats in my sig.

Posted Image

It sat nice. I did pre-hook up measurements with my airlift bags. They were as fallows:

From the concrete to the bottom of the receiver hitch on the bumper

5 psi - 21 3/4"

50 psi - 23"

70 psi - 23 1/2"

90 psi - 23 7/8" (100 psi is the max but I just did 90 for 20 psi increments)

Here are the specs on my truck and trailer:

- 255/85/R16 BFG KM2's @ 80 psi rear / 70 psi front (trailer hooked up)

Posted Image

- Airlift air bags at hook up were 5 psi (they went flat with the arm raise, to the point i was like I need to put air in them NOW before something breaks... it was bad, heavy trailer) then pumped them to 90 psi.

- at 90 psi with the trailer hooked on, the measurement was 22 1/2" (good in my book) (trailer hooked up)

Posted Image

Posted Image

- Edge on 5x5 (98% of the time 3x3 2% of the time, I was trying Mopar1973man's set up)

- Gears 3.55

- Trailer tires Goodyear 235/70/15 (or very close to that) G load rating 65 psi

- Trailer weighs 11210 via 2003 Holiday Rambler Price, Values & 2003 Holiday Rambler Pricing Specs | NADAguides (model M-36SIT)

So we set out... First thing I notice, SMOKE ... like holly wow, that may actually put a hole in the ozone, damn! So I tried slowing down, that helped.

Get on the freeway, I-10 to San Antonio. After about 5 mins of driving this is what my panel looks like Posted Image

Notice anything... yeah my engine heat is HIGH, and that was average at that point! IS THIS NORMAL? IF NOT HOW DO I STOP IT?????

As I go down the road, nearing San Antonio, those "hills" come into play. My rpms don't drop, my speed doesn't drop, but the engine temp sky rockets to the point covering the 2 on the 240 and bumping that little red line. (I don't like that).

So what I did to help NOT do that was on any, and I mean if I felt that truck even hint at wanting more fuel, I down shifted into 5th, hitting 2,200 - 2,300 Rpms... It helped a little but at 50 to 55 mph... yeah

My egts where another thing, Edge 5x5

Flats 800 - 1,200*

hills 1,000 - 1,200*

5th gear - 800 - 1,000*

Yes, I down shifted when I saw 1,200*

Got to San Antonio, the pull was very nice, straight, the Air bags were awesome, the BD Exhaust brake was amazing, the Valair Clutch never blinked with my 6 speed.

Got to the pumped and wanted to cry

Posted Image

That math 188.2/20 = 9.41 mpg Posted Image

1) What should I do to get better MPG's?

2) How, besides Water/meth (in the plans down the road, got a wedding to pay for here in July) can I get my engine temp down? (Next haul WILL be at Edge 3x2 or less!)

I have to make it to N. Idaho from S. Texas in early July for that wedding I was talking about, with this temp issue, I don't know what to do going up the grades, in the altitude I know is coming? Please info will be nice.

Unless I over-read it in one of the posts; I don't believe anyone has posted about Mopar1973Mans "crankcase vent mod" here in this thread.Dudes, if'n his radiator and inter cooler are coated with the "oily slime" from the OEM vent tube...............all of his problemos could be due to an oily, plugged radiator and intercooler!!! Once cleared and clean, he's cruising cool as can be.Just saying, of course!!!:banghead:

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally found my problem with tis whole thing, I had to pull the radiator out, it was only 15% oil covered and for 240k I didn't think it was too bad. However, I had about 50% blockage in the interior of the rad. Got it rodded out and now, not breaking 210* at 70 mph!!! Night and day difference. This was after a new 190* t-stat, and clutch fan (which is either not engaging or my truck is to sound and can't hear it, but still haven't heard it in traffic). Next ill be doing Mike crank case fix to keep oil off the radiator. Now, if I can just quit over boosting and blowing the boot off my turbo, I'll make some time pulling at 60-65. that same boot from before in this thread has come off 2x this trip (Texas to the grand canyon, Sandpoint n Idaho, yellow stone, mt. Rushmore, dodge city Kansas, San Angelo Texas) and I'm just now at the grand canyon pulling my 38' 5er.

• Like 1

• Owner

Glad to hear it... As for the boot get a can of hair spray and hose that boot done good and stick it back on and tighten it up. The hair spray will keep the boot from poppin' off. :wink:As for the radiator the reason it plugged up is you not keeping up with your coolant changes and flushing.

yeah, when/if it comes off again, i'll go in the rv get my wifes hairspray and try that. Does it go just on the outside or on the inside of the boot, the hair spray that is?

When I finally make it to Idaho, I'll go look for a 100 lbs clip, where did you get yours? Napa? I THINK (not positive) I'm blowing it off at 30+ psi... Since I got my Rad fixed, its been game on and yeah, can now pull this beast at 70+ mph on the flats (at 190 - 200*), 55-70 mph on the rolling hills (depending on the hills), and 40 - 55 mph on a grade (200-210*). THIS DOES NOT MEAN I DO PULL AT THESE SPEEDS.... BUT JUST THAT I CAN PULL AT THESE SPEEDS WITH THIS WEIGHT. So I think I got a little over zelous, and will just slow down and watch the boost psi more, and try not to go over 25 psi... I usually try to down shift at either 1,200* (pyro), 20 - 25 psi (boost) or below 1,600 (rpm). What ever comes first. So All is well just a lot of driving ahead... with this load a fiance not feeling good, 3 dogs, and what ever wind I come into contact with. Hit a 20+ mph head wind in New Mexico, not fun. Tried to tail some semi's and that helped but they tended to pull away. There was a Duramax that was pulling a 28' 5er, I'd guess about 10,000 lbs, that I tailed at 65 mph. I was impressed, for my expectations of a Durapad.

Until then, from the Grand Canyon through Utah, through E. Idaho into Montana, BACK into N. Idaho... I'll just watch my boost gauge, pyro, engine temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure, bag pressure, tach, Speedo ... and oh yeah, the ROAD :lmao:... but that is why we have these gauges to monitor our rigs.

Wheres your base camp? You passed through my neck of the woods already. Sandpoint...

I am actually from Sandpoint... I am heading back there from Texas to get married then back to work in Texas... Base camp i guess you could say Sandpoint.

He knows I'm all the way over here on US95... If he just extends the trip just a little... :whistle:

I know I know... But time and money, as you know... Thanks for the help the other day, always nice to get a good opinion in a pinch. Maybe this fall I'll head up there I usually make a trip to go duck hunting in Boise. :hyper:

I am actually from Sandpoint... I am heading back there from Texas to get married then back to work in Texas... Base camp i guess you could say Sandpoint.

Nice! I wish we could have known about this earlier. I would not have minded getting to know you. I'm moving out of the area this month so it would be difficult to make it work, now. Your 5th wheel is a BEAST! What does it gross and what is the pin weight?

I used to tow with the edge EZ on lvl 3 no problems, the comp is great too, but speed is the number one factor, my 5er is not light, but heading up 80 towards reno, i can pass the big rigs and keep it under 100f. feels good.