• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Which "Free Spin Hub Kit" ???

a hole saw in a  drill press  should  make  a nice hole..   And  I'd bet the  raw edge  would  be a  great place for the  chrome film to start  peeling

I was going to suggest   buying  a set of  ebay knockoffs  to   modify.. (hubcaps)  I see a set of 4  for  60 bucks   http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-RAM-2500-TRUCK-VAN-16-CHROME-Wheel-Center-Hub-Caps-8-Lug-Bolt-Nut-Rim-Covers-/221186997588?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item337fc5bd54&vxp=mtr

Dorkweed, I`m ready to pull the trigger on some spintecs, and I just have a couple questions.

1. How did you cut the hole in your hub covers?

2. Have you had any issue with the chrome peeling ? I noted another poster complained about this.

1.  I used an adjustable hole saw and took a SWAG at the "center" of the cap.  Darn near spot on on both of them.  I did take an old half round file to ease the edge after drilling thru them.

2.  Chrome peeling????  Off of what????

Just over 46,000 miles on mine now.

1.  I used an adjustable hole saw and took a SWAG at the "center" of the cap.  Darn near spot on on both of them.  I did take an old half round file to ease the edge after drilling thru them.

2.  Chrome peeling????  Off of what????

Just over 46,000 miles on mine now.

I have always wondered if after cutting the center out, the chrome coating might be prone to peeling on the edges ? I saw somewhere in this thread where someone had actually experienced this happening.

It sounds like taking the time to smooth the edge over will eliminate the potential problem.

Thanks

Edited by angus

• 4 months later...

Wow, seems like a really long time.

Did Spyntec give you a service interval?

I was told 24 months or 25K miles.

I need to do some research and see what is was back in the 80's and 90's.

I know my trailer axles are annually or 12K miles.

Yeah, I know.  One thing comes up, and so on and so on.

I just re-read all the papers that came with the kit;  no service interval.

They run cool though.

• Like 1