• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Which "Free Spin Hub Kit" ???

Heard the tick, tick backing out of the garage this AM. Went to work, and got home 30 minutes ago. Just got done checking the axle u-joints, and I've got a dry cap on the drivers side!!:mad: I just greased the front end less than 4000 miles ago, and the axle u-joints looked good. I got grease to ooze out all the caps back then.Anyhow, if I'm gonna have the front end apart again, I'm going with a free-spin kit to save on doing axle u-joints every 50-60,000 miles. Just wondering what the resident experts here thought was the best/most economical kit to go with. There's DynaTrac, SpynTech, and I think one or two others.Must be all the trailer maneuvering I do at the barns I work at.:duh: Thanks guys.

I'm still running the factory OEM joints yet, never been greased and no problems.

The only thing I can think of that would be doing this is you have a shaft that is damaged/bent or there is bearing issues on one end or another. :shrug:

Mike, your truck wouldn't dare. :lmao: Heck, you just replaced your batteries not too long ago. Your truck knows where its bread is buttered and isn't about to risk your wrath.
  • Like 1

I'm still running the factory OEM joints yet, never been greased and no problems. The only thing I can think of that would be doing this is you have a shaft that is damaged/bent or there is bearing issues on one end or another. :shrug:

Mike, you must remember that you've got Dana axles in you 2nd gen; and I've got AAM axles in my '04.5. Totally different animal. My old '99 that the P's have still has the OEM's also!!!! This is a quite common occurance in 3rd gens with "miles" on them. Highway miles are the easiest, as there's little if any axle u-joint movement cruising the highway. Most of my driving is around suburbia, and I do alot of backing trailers and tight maneuvers around the barns I work at. I don't think there's anything wrong with my front end, other than it was under designed. No vibration, no shimmy, and tracks straight and true. Never heard anything on the KY trip this past Friday/Saturday either. Am I correct in assuming that with a "free spin kit", my front driveshaft, front axles, and front axle u-joints will not be turning??

• Owner

Mike, you must remember that you've got Dana axles in you 2nd gen; and I've got AAM axles in my '04.5. Totally different animal. My old '99 that the P's have still has the OEM's also!!!!

Busted... :doh: I forgot about that but isn't weird that both your old 99 and my 02 have kept there OE joint this long but a AAM axles have joint issues? :think:

Busted... :doh: I forgot about that but isn't weird that both your old 99 and my 02 have kept there OE joint this long but a AAM axles have joint issues? :think:

I know that AH64ID has posted about the axle weight ratings and the front end weight on the 3rd gens; and how it's pretty close to the limit stock without any weight on the truck!!!!!:duh::stuned: Also, I believe the 3rd gens turn tighter than the 2nd gens, and that'll eat up u-joints quick also. I was just wondering if anyone had real world experience with any of the free spin kits.:spend:

I know that AH64ID has posted about the axle weight ratings and the front end weight on the 3rd gens; and how it's pretty close to the limit stock without any weight on the truck!!!!!:duh::stuned: Also, I believe the 3rd gens turn tighter than the 2nd gens, and that'll eat up u-joints quick also. I was just wondering if anyone had real world experience with any of the free spin kits.:spend:

Yeah, unfortunately, I can buy a lot of U joints and Dodge bearings for the price of that kit. I would love lock out hubs, but they are too pricey for me.

• Staff

Yes it will keep your front axle from spinning. My truck with just the family loaded up for a day trip anywhere puts my front axle over the GAWR. Weight in the bed helps, as does a trailer. With my trailer I am just over 4800 lbs, empty I am at 4980 (me, 7/8 fuel, standard gear). That's all close to the limit on a 5200lb axle.

Well boys and girls, I just ordered the SpynTec free spin hub kit. It was $1550 + $106 shipping!!!:cry::ahhh: The DynaTrac kit was about $500 more, and I couldn't find enough info on the EMS or Yukon brands in order to form an opinion on either of them to consider them. SpynTec gets very good reviews. Those that don't like them, usually have or sell another brand...........at least from what I've read.I sure hope this solves my trucks axle u-joint appetite!! The kit comes with everything but the axle u-joints. I truly don't believe it's the u-joints at fault here..........I believe it's just a plain case of; not under-engineered parts, but running parts that are close to their structural limit. That, coupled with time, winter salt, and crappy Illinois roads all contribute to the early failures. It's not that I can't afford the "regular" replacement; its just that I don't think I should have to do it that often!!! When the OEM axle u-joints went at 71,000 miles; I replaced them with greaseables.................twice............not gonna do that again. Gonna try something different this time. What's the definition of insanity??? In all honesty, the greaseables lasted "LESS" time than the non-greaseable OEMS!!!!!!I'm praying that the ball joints and tie rod ends are still good. Truck drives and handles great. Still real tight. Don't want or need that right now!!! Later.

I am curious how you like it. I did some reading yesterday, and other than Mile Marker hubs (nothing against them, I just like Warn) the spyntech is what I would buy if I had to make the purchase today.

That does make me feel a bit better, John. Brand names me nothing to me here in this area. I don't deal with this stuff, and when I do, I go to the parts counter and talk to the guy behind it. I just can't see replacing the axle u-joints again and then in 2-2.5 years doing it again. With this hub kit, I can pull it apart and repack the bearings or replace them and the races at minimal cost vs. the unit bearing!!!!:smart: I do plan on keeping the truck for a while yet, so hopefully it'll pay itself off. Heck; even if it doesn't pay itself off, it's still cheaper than a new truck!!! With them now trucks, you've got a whole new set of weaknesses to learn about them!!! After the install, the front driveshaft, front axles and u-joints will not be turning and subject to unnecessary wear. i'll just make it a point to put her into 4wd once a month or so to keep the seals lubed up. Hopefully I'll pickup some mileage also as there's not 130lbs. of metal rotating needlessly!!! I've also heard that because the rotating mass is eliminated, the truck "handles" better. Mine handles great now with the BD steering box brace and urethane track bar bushings............don't know how much better it can get????

Those are the reasons I want a set, and the 2LO option! Nice thing about them is you can use 4wd with them unlocked to lube it all on the dry pavement.

'Dis is true!!!:doh: I hadn't thought of that!! Danke!!!:cool: Do you still think I'll need to keep the 3-5000 miles grease schedule on the axle u-joints after the install??? Remember, I live in the heart of the "rust belt"!!!!:smart:

• Staff

Do you still think I'll need to keep the 3-5000 miles grease schedule on the axle u-joints after the install??? Remember, I live in the heart of the "rust belt"!!!!:smart:

I would do a 6 month grease. It may only take 1 squirt vs 5, but you know it's fresh.

Mr. UPS Man only delivered 1 of the 2 boxes (according to the UPS tracking) that contains the Spyntec hubs I ordered.:cry: Was hoping to get her into the shop with the kit on Monday. Well , I guess that's out now. Just have to wait for the rest of the shipment.:pant:In the one box, I got a box with the MileMarker hubs, along with a turning tool, hub mounting screws, and an allen wrench to tighten the hub screws. Also in the box individually wrapped in wax paper were the stub shafts. And finally in another box in the box, I got the bearing kit...............included in that were the seals, washers, clips, nuts, rings etc.The other box should have the spindle and the flange mount w/wheel studs and maybe some other parts. Kind of hard to know you've got everything, when you go the website, and they don't offer installation destructions or a parts list for what you're ordering!!!!:smart:Rant off!!! :thankyou::yme:

Question, how can locking "hubs" keep your front axle from spinning? The hub only unlocks the "hub" not the axle right? You are still driving the drive shaft, diff and axles. Yes it might pick you up one maybe two MPG but at the cost you can buy a whole lot of fuel! Dad tried this wwwwaaaayyyyy back in 1982 on his K-5 Blazer and only picked up one to two MPG. We have had a couple of guys at the plant try this with the same results. Don

• Staff

The hub is where the front axle connects to the wheel. If it's disconnected the axle isn't connected to the wheels, and thus not being driven by the wheel. In 2wd the xcase isn't spinning the drive shaft, so nothing in the front end will rotate. One to two mpg's would be HUGE, and easily pay for itself. Not to mention the reduced bearing downtime, fewer u-joints, 2wd low, etc.

The hub is where the front axle connects to the wheel. If it's disconnected the axle isn't connected to the wheels, and thus not being driven by the wheel. In 2wd the xcase isn't spinning the drive shaft, so nothing in the front end will rotate. One to two mpg's would be HUGE, and easily pay for itself. Not to mention the reduced bearing downtime, fewer u-joints, 2wd low, etc.

This^^^^ x100!!!!!!:2cents::thumb1: Going thru "greasable" axle u-joints every 50k miles o about every 2 years sucks the big one IMHO!!!! The way I drive, I'm hoping to pickup at least 1mpg + additional life of my axle u-joints!! AH64ID, I'll be taking pix and posting them upon the install of this kit. Probably not until after the July 4th holiday.