• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Filled up with fuel tonight...

bjytech

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think diesel has become more expensive now because people know that alot of our logistics is carried by the 18 wheeler.Make diesel more expensive, food goes up, increase in taxes, people have to spend more on food and fuel, more money in their pockets. :cookoo:

I remember when diesel was cheap, mostly truckers used it for the 18 wheelers. But I remember when it was the beginning of the smaller vehicles started using diesel. Slow at first, but as it increased and they started putting them into pickups, the truck sales went up and not long after, diesel prices went up. They saw a constant supply need and the greed kicked in. (late 80's early 90's ???)

Diesel fuel has been hauling goods across this country since I remember being alive. As I remeber diesel was still cheaper that gas when I boutght my truck in 01. I still think the LSD(low sulfur diesel to yo hippies out there) and ULSD have a lot to do with it. Demand for it is greater now I believe. None of those things help. Your guess is as good as mine.

- - - Updated - - -

Diesel fuel has been hauling goods across this country since I remember being alive. As I remeber diesel was still cheaper that gas when I boutght my truck in 01. I still think the LSD(low sulfur diesel to you hippies out there) and ULSD have a lot to do with it. Demand for it is greater now I believe. None of those things help. Your guess is as good as mine.

When they past the law to drop the ppm of sulfur in the fuel, they modified the sulfur unit to accommodate the extra amount they had to remove, process and store to sell. The work was some and cost a bit of cash. There was actually a demand for the extra product. When they went to the latest, the ultra low, they had to do some equipment changes and spend some real cash to update. But there is a market for the product, just slightly more product than they need so per supply and demand, they play their games. In all, it wasn't that costly that they needed to send the prices per gallon to the moon.There are people out there that must have the latest fad thing. And there was a time the diesel pickup was a bit of a fad. Mainly they have their place for what they do, they work, but just some people need and want the biggest and different than the others. Really, who needed the Hummer when it came out to drive to work, or take the baby for a ride to put them to sleep ?And lets not forget the old supply and demand process. If you can make a demand from the product you sell, where people 'need it' supplied constantly, then we make it a bit hard to get and their supply is limited, the price can go up ... until there is an over supply of product and you loose again.So if they keep processing the product, and ship as much as they can overseas for a higher profit per barrel then here ... then show a supply demand here to move the price here to the moon ... supply and demand will take care of us. End result, everyone just pays more using 'their' method of supply and demand.

the refinery i work in has H.D.S. units...hydrogen disulphurization...just like it says..it takes the sulphur out of it...and the biggest rumor i hear why diesel is so high is because of hurricane Katrina..we have never recouped??what kind of rumor is that..and when the people you hear on the radio that try to scare folks about..oh..we are in a shortage....whatever..bout 90% of the time here...we need more tanks for storage..so sorry long folks..we will just keep praying for cheaper prices.

Don't know the refinery your at, but can I ask ...In all the time you've been there, except for turn-a-rounds or unforseen equipment failures ... have you ever run less than full / maximum throughput ?(Except for the above mentioned situations, I worked on the west coast for over 30 years and the entire refinery was 'never' been below max.)