• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

White night rear lighting system

ADawg

I was wondering if any of you guys run this setup and if you like it? Also if you have the harness you can purchase to easily wire it in? Any thoughts or suggestions would be awesome :thumbup2: It is also on sale good price and is it worth it? post-11448-13869818906_thumb.jpg http://www.genosgarage.com/WHITE-NIGHT-REAR-LIGHTING-SYSTEM-03-09/productinfo/WN%2D4199%2DDG%2DKIT2/ http://www.genosgarage.com/WHITE-NIGHT-PLUG-N-GO-7-PIN-WIRING-ADAPTER/productinfo/WN%2D4149/

post-11448-138698189055_thumb.gif

Nice systems from what I've seen of them but in my case the would be crushed in a short order. :whistle:

Here is my crushproof lighting system. Cost a fraction of the price and come with 100W not 55W... :whistle:

Posted Image

Can you tell me how you wired that up I like that better! Does it operate off a switch? DETAILS Please!!!

• Owner

Ok...

Power is supplied from the RED heavy gauge wire for the trailer plug. (40A) Ran through a relay and triggered by the exist backup lights. So normal reverse light come on automatically.

As for in the cab I have a over ride switch in the cab which allows me to flip on forcably and light up the ground and hitch in the dark...

Full write up here...

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/35-exterior/76-backup-lights

Posted Image

I use the PIAA backup light system and have it mounted on my new hitch. It is up and out of the way from things on the ground but I'll have to be certain I don't back into a bank. Of course that would get my bumper if I did that.I looked at the units you are considering and they looked to be all plastic so I was a little concerned about durability.The PIAA's come with the wiring harness and switch to allow the lights to come on automatically when you put it in reverse or you can turn them on manually if you need the light to work on or see something in the rear of the truck.These have a lifetime warranty and really light up the area behind the truck. Thinking maybe if I got someone riding my tail end then I can flip these babies on and get there attention real quick.post-11041-138698189067_thumb.jpg

I use the PIAA backup light system and have it mounted on my new hitch. It is up and out of the way from things on the ground but I'll have to be certain I don't back into a bank. Of course that would get my bumper if I did that.

I looked at the units you are considering and they looked to be all plastic so I was a little concerned about durability.

The PIAA's come with the wiring harness and switch to allow the lights to come on automatically when you put it in reverse or you can turn them on manually if you need the light to work on or see something in the rear of the truck.

These have a lifetime warranty and really light up the area behind the truck. Thinking maybe if I got someone riding my tail end then I can flip these babies on and get there attention real quick.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4158[/ATTACH]

Where did you get that setup at? thats what I would like to do but I only want them mounted to a switch I really dont need them wired to the reverse lights. I like your setup

- - - Updated - - -

MoparMan, if I wanted to wire a set of high power lights just to switch what would I need? Such as: a switch ( on & off), lights, wire ( what size), Do I need a relay and why if I do?, What about a fuse?

Any help would be great as you can tell I am not an electrician so any help would be great :thumbup2:

Where did you get that setup at? thats what I would like to do but I only want them mounted to a switch I really dont need them wired to the reverse lights. I like your setup

- - - Updated - - -

MoparMan, if I wanted to wire a set of high power lights just to switch what would I need? Such as: a switch ( on & off), lights, wire ( what size), Do I need a relay and why if I do?, What about a fuse?

Any help would be great as you can tell I am not an electrician so any help would be great :thumbup2:

Yes you would need a switch. One pole will go to the battery of a fuse, the other will go to the relay to trigger the relay. You need a relay because you do not want that much power going through small wires and a switch. In Mike's set up you pull power from the trailer wiring harness. That is a thick wire (not sure on gauge) but it is also switch so it will only be hot when the key is on. The point is you wire the lights to the trailer harness +12 Volts. The relay is used to turn the lights on and off. If not the lights would be on 24/7 when the key is on. Also the trailer wiring is on its own fuse and relay in the main power panel under the hood.

- - - Updated - - -

do they come with bracketry? If not, what do you use? (Mike's setup)

Check this out. The only thing I did after that post is water proof the connections.

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/5309-Mopar-Man-s-Reverse-Lights!-PICS!

Yes you would need a switch. One pole will go to the battery of a fuse, the other will go to the relay to trigger the relay. You need a relay because you do not want that much power going through small wires and a switch. In Mike's set up you pull power from the trailer wiring harness. That is a thick wire (not sure on gauge) but it is also switch so it will only be hot when the key is on. The point is you wire the lights to the trailer harness +12 Volts. The relay is used to turn the lights on and off. If not the lights would be on 24/7 when the key is on. Also the trailer wiring is on its own fuse and relay in the main power panel under the hood.

- - - Updated - - -

Check this out. The only thing I did after that post is water proof the connections.

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/5309-Mopar-Man-s-Reverse-Lights!-PICS!

Ok so I do not want to use my lights when I put it in reverse I just want them wired to a switch on the dash to use at my leisure. So how would I wire that up? Maybe like this: a 12v supply( maybe from under the dash?) with a fuse to the switch on the dash then to the relay and out to the lights in the rear? Will this work?

My only concern is if I hook it up the way you are talking how would I wire up a switch on the dash?

Please forgive the slowness to learn :thumbup2:

[ATTACH]4163[/ATTACH]

- - - Updated - - -

The pic might help but yes you will run a +12 volt to the switch as a control. That will go in to the relay as the control. When you have the switch on it feeds +12 to the relay to switch the relay over so that the 12+ from the trailer wireing will power the lights. I know the feeling I learned all this bit by bit Im good at it now.

post-11472-138698189074_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

[ATTACH]4163[/ATTACH]

- - - Updated - - -

The pic might help but yes you will run a +12 volt to the switch as a control. That will go in to the relay as the control. When you have the switch on it feeds +12 to the relay to switch the relay over so that the 12+ from the trailer wireing will power the lights. I know the feeling I learned all this bit by bit Im good at it now.

That makes total sense now a big thank you! Now I will start putting it together! One more thing where did you get your lights from and do you know where I can get my wiring diagram for the hitch on my 05? Another question when finding a 12v under the dash should I use one that is hot all the time or only when the key is on? Ok one more question :rolleyes: how do I know what size or kind of relay that I need?

• Like 1

The lights have a NAPA number Ill find it in a sec. The holders are normal par 54 rubber supports. On the relay you will want a head light relay. rated for 40 amp or more. Most auto stores have them just tell them they are for work lights. 5 or 6 bucks IIRC.

- - - Updated - - -

Bulbs are $15 to $18 bucks. NAPA# 4509. As for the power the trailer +12 volt will only be hot when the key is turned on. So keyed power to keep from drains and leaving the relay on with no power. Any more questions feel free to ask!

• Like 2

The lights have a NAPA number Ill find it in a sec. The holders are normal par 54 rubber supports. On the relay you will want a head light relay. rated for 40 amp or more. Most auto stores have them just tell them they are for work lights. 5 or 6 bucks IIRC.

- - - Updated - - -

Bulbs are $15 to $18 bucks. NAPA# 4509. As for the power the trailer +12 volt will only be hot when the key is turned on. So keyed power to keep from drains and leaving the relay on with no power. Any more questions feel free to ask!

So I will have basically 2 12v power leads one to the dash switch from under the dash which will already be fused (which only turns on when I turn the key on) then from the switch it goes to a slot on the relay. Then from the trailer wiring run another 12v to the other slot on the relay, from the relay out to the lights correct? Now to wire the lights do I split the wire coming from the relay into two (one for each light) then ground each to some where on the frame? hope this makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

After reading a thread on the cummins forum one guy recommends a relay for each light is this necessary?

I am searching my local auto part stores and I can not find info on how many amps the headlight relay's are. Are they all 40amp?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok so I just purchased this water proof relay and connector this will work right?

http://www.repairconnector.com/waterproof-5-pin-30-40-amp-relay-with-connector/

post-11448-138698189085_thumb.jpg

So I will have basically 2 12v power leads one to the dash switch from under the dash which will already be fused (which only turns on when I turn the key on) then from the switch it goes to a slot on the relay. Then from the trailer wiring run another 12v to the other slot on the relay, from the relay out to the lights correct? Now to wire the lights do I split the wire coming from the relay into two (one for each light) then ground each to some where on the frame? hope this makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

After reading a thread on the cummins forum one guy recommends a relay for each light is this necessary?

I am searching my local auto part stores and I can not find info on how many amps the headlight relay's are. Are they all 40amp?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok so I just purchased this water proof relay and connector this will work right?

http://www.repairconnector.com/waterproof-5-pin-30-40-amp-relay-with-connector/

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4165[/ATTACH]

I ran to wires from the relay one to each light. I see no reason to run to relays. Its going to be running off the same power anyways. You can ground to the frame if you want. I grounded to the trailer wire ground and ran it to each light. Just how I am also I had a ton of wire.

That relay should work great!.