• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Natural Traffic Flow and Freeway Merge

JAG1

• Staff

I had a chance today to see what it is like when all the tail gators try crowding you out of merging onto the freeway. Close to having only the emergency lane ahead, no one would let me in. So the car that was along side even started crowding closer to the car in front to keep me out. I'm going close to the same speed so it's not like I'm the guy that puts up the invisible stop signs to a freeway entrance, like some mergers do.What Do You Guys Do ?I proceeded to very slowly crowd out this lady a little behind me, somewhat along side. You know, it was the rudest one of the bunch. Anyhow She finally backed off, I guess only worried about her shiny new car, It felt right though, when I left ample amount of room in front of me. I could tell she loved it so much that she gave me the sign for the ornithological society. I just waved............What would you guys do? Drivers are getting aggressive and nasty out there around Portland, Oregon.BTW, I let people in when they need to. I even feel good about doing a little good will.

• Owner

Way I was taught in LA, California is you turn on your turn signal and start merging in to that lane. As long as your larger that the vehicle beside you they will move over. I see that here in Boise, ID with the I-84 interstate.I normal come rolling on the on ramp about +5 MPH over everyone else just do a forcible merge.

I'm not an advocate for the, "If you cant beat 'em, join 'em" saying. Its the bigger city lifestyle. Too busy for everyone or thing but themselves. Everything revolves around themselves.Solution:- Move to a smaller town. May not be able to run from it forever, but can atleast delay it by a few decades.

Ilived in Atlanta for 9 years and it was about the only way to get into traffic sometimes.I would rather be reasonably courteous but sometimes you have to give what you get or do the unbelievable and stop at the end of the ramp.

I actually had to force a merge last night... I turned down a ramp then discovered the DOT was doing night paving and had the traffic on I95 merged into the breakdown lane, which was bumper to bumper at about 20 mph. I had my 16' landscaper's trailer on with my mobility scooter strapped down & after doing a flag day event in Bristol RI... (The kick off to the run up to their First in the Nation 4th of July Parade, widely televised.) We'd pulled off to finially get dinner at 9PM... I pulled in close with my blinkers on... I let a couple go by and then a trucker let me in. I thank him.The wildest one, I went with a horse trader to the auction... he had a 6 horse head to head goose pulled by a Cenurion Custom Tow vehicle built on a Ford chaisis... big gasser was the way to go back then. There was one place in Hartford, Ct one had to merge from the Left & immediately Exit accross 4 lanes on the Right. The highway design was ancient... not suitable for the traffic levels at that time (and has since been replaced... I wonder why?). He merged with his blinker on, counted to 3 & turned the wheel. OMG!! The tail was barely clear of the on ramp when the cab entered the off ramp. I heard screaching tires but no one hit us... I never rode with him again. He said there was no other way to do it but I was afraid for my heart!

• Owner

Solution: - Move to a smaller town. May not be able to run from it forever, but can atleast delay it by a few decades.

Dang Hex is right I'm 180 miles from a interstate. Its wonderful out here. Like yesterday I went to McCall, ID for basic shopping (milk, eggs, bread, etc) which is 35 mile away from home. Set my cruise for 55 MPH and end up passing 3 cars going slower then me. (Posted 65 MPH) Then on the way home I set cruise again at 55 MPH and there was only 1 person that passed me in 35 miles. Living out here is awesome. Longer distances to get stuff and services but lack of traffic and crime is wonderful. :woot:

• Staff

"Move to a smaller town":thumbup2:......... I'm looking everyday in the real state sites in an around LaPine, Oregon.Tell Me.... I can do without the constant cold rain here on the 'wet' side, But........ How do you like all the cold and snow:think: ?? Yeah a plow, snow blower, or a bobcat.:thumbup2:Doesen't that get old? I guess it's Just like anything...... If you don't live in the tropics you just get used to it.

There are two laws... -The law of Gross Weight. Heavier vehicle wins.The above law has a tie breaker following the damage rule. '-As the car with the most body damage has the right of way. As much as I agree with "move rural" the worst drivers I've ever seen were on the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation north of Dickinson, ND. That local area is mad.

I would have to go with the rural vote! Live about 1 hour south of Portland. I travel to two small towns to do all of my business. Everyone around here lets you merge with no problems and lets you in when you are pulling out into the street. The ONLY time I go to Portland is to the airport and that is usually at the slow times (on purpose!).

• Owner

Kind of like me going to Boise, ID or Ontario, OR. The roads all the way down to Weiser, ID is kind and courteous people that allow you out on the highway and yield to you even though the don't have too. But it seem once I get past Weiser, ID into Payette and Fruitland, ID everything goes out the window. Now my old school California training kicks in and the lead brick is installed in the right foot. Now this time I'm glad I have 400 HP to get my truck rolling even when I'm 52 foot long. :burnout2:But like today I had to run to Riggins, ID to do a A/C job and set the cruise for 55 MPH kick back and enjoy the ride. No one around, no traffic, no problems...

Living out here is awesome. Longer distances to get stuff and services but lack of traffic and crime is wonderful. :woot:

Thats mainly the 2 very reasons why I moved away from Spokane! Growing up there, I knew what kind of thuggery went on. Then, the traffic. Everytime I go down there now, I'm always shocked at by the change in the city and attitude of people. :nono:

Tell Me.... I can do without the constant cold rain here on the 'wet' side, But........ How do you like all the cold and snow:think: ?? Yeah a plow, snow blower, or a bobcat.:thumbup2: Doesen't that get old? I guess it's Just like anything...... If you don't live in the tropics you just get used to it.

I'm the type of person that likes to see all four seasons in a year! It feels more natural to me to see that transition in time and weather. As it should be.. The times of the year though, around early spring mainly, but late fall too, it will rain up here for weeks straight. If I lived over on the west coast, I would definitely become a statistic. The cold can be overcome. A good hot fire or sitting next to the woodstove is always a good remedy with some hot chocolate. The snow, well, it gives me reasons to do something else. I don't mind getting out everday and shoveling snow. Especially now. When we got our heavy snows, people were making money, and working! They were up on roofs shoveling. Bad for the homeowner, cause it was not cheap, but good for people who were desperate for work and money. Don't like being out in the white stuff all the time? Stay inside, sit by the fire, spend time with the family! I just like it out here, cause it sometimes can force you to get back to traditional things. Not sitting at the puter or tv all the time. If you have kids, they can actually get out in the woods and see nature or go camping instead of being a drone with their gadgets.

As much as I agree with "move rural" the worst drivers I've ever seen were on the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation north of Dickinson, ND. That local area is mad.

...I think you answered it pretty good! You were on the res! Its indians driving! Couple that with some whiskey... :ahhh: I'm part engine and so is my wife. I'm not racist. :lol:

• Owner

Thats mainly the 2 very reasons why I moved away from Spokane! Growing up there, I knew what kind of thuggery went on. Then, the traffic. Everytime I go down there now, I'm always shocked at by the change in the city and attitude of people. :nono: I'm the type of person that likes to see all four seasons in a year! It feels more natural to me to see that transition in time and weather. As it should be.. The times of the year though, around early spring mainly, but late fall too, it will rain up here for weeks straight. If I lived over on the west coast, I would definitely become a statistic. The cold can be overcome. A good hot fire or sitting next to the woodstove is always a good remedy with some hot chocolate. The snow, well, it gives me reasons to do something else. I don't mind getting out everday and shoveling snow. Especially now. When we got our heavy snows, people were making money, and working! They were up on roofs shoveling. Bad for the homeowner, cause it was not cheap, but good for people who were desperate for work and money. Don't like being out in the white stuff all the time? Stay inside, sit by the fire, spend time with the family! I just like it out here, cause it sometimes can force you to get back to traditional things. Not sitting at the puter or tv all the time. If you have kids, they can actually get out in the woods and see nature or go camping instead of being a drone with their gadgets.

You hit the nail on the head exactly. Plenty of firewood, nice warm fire, big cup of hot coffee, and my internet family. :wink: Shovelling snow is what keeps me in shape through the winter time. Then I plow the driveways out for my neighbor and I. Then I might get phone call to go find a lost soul in the woods that went out hunting or hiking. I only visit the big cities for supplies and good I need to keep the homestead going. So all summer long we dart in and out of Boise and Ontario picking up supplies so when the weather get foul and cold we just sit back and enjoy watching mother nature blanket the valley in white.:thumb1:

Guess I am the only one who uses a different technique :) I turn onto the on ramp and as I am approaching traffic I am constantly looking for a hole, if it is farther back in the pack, I accelerate slowly so I end up at 70 right at the moment I am next to that hole. If I see nothing but cars or I guess what I see a lot is a line of semis with cars in the fast lane passing and they form this long line but it's not hard to see the line of them once you turn onto the on ramp. In this case, punch it :lmao: Even though they are doing 70 when you turn onto the on ramp and see them next to you while you are still going 15, its a cummins... I dart in front of the whole pack. With the jeep I got now, ehhhh. By the time it gets wound up, the pack is past the entire on ramp lane. If you see now hole just keep accelerating slowly up to where you can readily hit 70 (maybe 30mph), then if you see a hole, punch it. Really doesn't matter if you drove at 30 for so long you are in the emergency lane, I have never had to do that but I could care less if I did. I am not about to be like all these other people who can see the hole in traffic, and then try and get on at 10mph in front of you. As if people cannot see that they are getting on an interstate.

If the ramp & traffic permits, I'll try to be going the speed limit when I merge. I don't find a few seconds of acceration hurts fuel econemy ... rather the transission shifts up sooner, & getting into high saves gas. Rarely, I don't get an opening & have to extend my roll into the break down lane. No Big Deal. I hate people who can merge at proper speed but fail to accelerate forcing traffic to brake. That's not merging... that's ignorant, cutting people off!

• Like 2

• Staff

Yep, I'm always up to the speed and flow of the traffic I'm merging into. Like I said.... I'm not the one who installs the invisible stop sign at the end of the freeway on ramp :).I do like the idea the idea of acting slow and then letting out the 400 horses :hyper: That's cool, but my work truck is loaded down and is the old 12 valver. Love that 21 year old truck .

It really is such a hassle to deal with traffic and how cars flow naturally most especially if people are not using the proper lanes for the to roll with. And though it would be quite harsh, I think that it would be helpful to be able to impose stricter rules for people to follow that would let them learn and be more familiar rather than making the roads a little more hazardous to drive on.

• Staff

It really is such a hassle to deal with traffic and how cars flow naturally most especially if people are not using the proper lanes for the to roll with. And though it would be quite harsh, I think that it would be helpful to be able to impose stricter rules for people to follow that would let them learn and be more familiar rather than making the roads a little more hazardous to drive on.

My wife just told me that when your already on the freeway, it is against the law to not let others merge when they need to So if something happened, the people ridin' like a retaining wall bumper to bumper to keep you out would be at fault.

I drive my pickup in this wonderful new york state to and from work and than I get into a bigger truck and drive all day talk about aggressive drivers I dont think any state can compare to NY with all the illegals and such I just kinda give them the option of moving or being moved I used to try the nice approach but that went out the window years back hell I would probably still be on the ramp waiting for someone to let me in.