• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

oil analysis

Hello all. I have just had an oil analysis done. I was hoping one of you-all could have a look and explain it to me. What all the numbers mean? What are the high and low limits of them?[ATTACH]4195[/ATTACH]Thanks again. The mileage is in KM eh!!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post-10493-138698189267_thumb.jpg

Hello all. I have just had an oil analysis done. I was hoping one of you-all could have a look and explain it to me. What all the numbers mean? What are the high and low limits of them? [ATTACH]4195[/ATTACH] Thanks again. The mileage is in KM eh!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if there are unique specs relating to the specific elements. The important thing with the oil analysis is that you are creating a record of the changes that are ocurring over time. So you need to keep getting the oil analysis so you create that history. For instance if you start seeing one or more of the elements going up (numbers getting higher) you begin to pick up on what parts maybe wearing more than others. I also do oil analysis on my plane engine looking for early indicators of problems ocurring (high wear etc.). For example silver and lead can indicate bearing wear, aluminum can indicate head or piston wear, iron can indicate cam or lifter wear, silicon can indicate dirt or contamination in the oil etc. It would be very helpful to have a general idea of the kinds of material that your engine parts are made of so you can begin to get an understanding of what the oil analysis is telling you.

Yes, I agree, a history is the key.I called the lab today and got the owner on the phone. We discussed all of the readings. I can't recall specifics of everything, but i got clarification on a few things. The iron (Fe) is 7 that's ok but I can't remember what the high limit is. The Zn, P and Ca are all additives. If there high that's a good thing.,The insolubles is soot. The high end is 7 so at 0.4 I'm still way low. The Si, fuel% and antifreeze% are the critical ones the owner said. If there low or zero like mine are then your good. So his final words were to wait another 6000km from now and do another sample. Cool thing is, he said bring your truck right to the lab and they will pull the sample and show me how they do it and get my results in an hour. It'll be cool to see it all done. Thanks again. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk