• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

oil consumption/usage

al_fol

Tappet cover is same place on all Cummins, behind the freakin IP on the driver's side. Hopefully you can inspect without removing the IP. Guys end up removing the injection pump if the gasket needs replacing.

Great call Russ. One that was overlooked by everyong!!!:thumbup2::smart:

Could someone please tell me where my oil is going?? Last oil change was about 4k ago with Valvoline Blue and a Wix gold Filter. Checked oil this morning after truck had sat overnight on level ground. Pulled the stick and nothing, did it again, same result. Truck does not leak, has good oil pressure, anti-freeze looks good, no oil underneath, it does have a little blow-by and there is 147k miles on motor. I do have a oily residue on my exhaust tip that does not easily remove with soap and water. I run a 200:1 ratio of 2 stroke oil(TCW3) in my fuel, not sure if that could cause the residue. Could the turbo be blowing the oil out? Any ideas from the great minds?? Please guide me.

Try changing oil to Delo 400. I know from experience that folks have had the same problem and changing brands has stopped the usage, this may be your cheapest trial.
  • Like 1

Switching oils sounds like a good idea. May i ask why that could make a difference? Just trying to wrap my weee little brain around the concept

I don't know why, but it does work, I have done it on a couple of cars, and my bother-in-law was a service manager and he said he has had it work also, It is worth a try! Let me know if it works.

If you don't have drops on the ground, you're not looking at a lappet cover, timing cover, timing case, main seals, or oil pan. They all drip enough to coat things under the truck and it'll drip after shutdown. When I had a loose timing cover and bad tappet gasket it would give me a dozen small puddles the width of the engine by by the length of the block or more. Lack of excessive crankcase pressure throws me, I would have expected blowby to be the cause. Almost has to be turbo.

• Like 1

ok, here is an update. Home from vacation, truck has sat for 9 days. Checked oil again, still nothing on dipstick (didnt think there would be). Added 6 quarts of oil to bring to the middle of safe range. Checked all the places everyone has mentioned, tappet cover appears to be fine, no oil in antifreeze, no leaks anywhere. looked at ccv hose under truck it is black with a little bit of gunk on end. Have not pulled the hose from turbo to intercooler to check for oily residue (its too flippin hot outside!), i will get to that when this heat goes away. Now that i have oil level correct, i start the truck, 1 turn of key and 4 turns of motor later she fires right up, purrs like a kitten (a loud kitten). After a minute or so of idling i blip the throttle just a bit and there is quite a bit of white smoke\steam that comes out of exhaust, normal i believe. Drop truck in gear to run down road to get my daughter from church, notice in mirror there is a short trail of blue smoke behind me that clears pretty quick. After that all is normal. Truck smokes very little black smoke at takeoff, gets good MPG, and will smoke a little when I mash the skinny pedal. Only code I have is the smarty code P062.

I hope i have covered all the bases here, I know I am forgetting something.

Oh, took oil fill cap off while truck was running and just sat it on the hole and the only thing it did was basically screw itself back on. Noticed a bit of steam/smoke coming out of hole.

Any more suggestions??? :shrug:

• Like 1

Another update, finally got a chance to take apart the turbo side of boost air, and I am happy to report there was no oil in the hoses , the fins on turbo look good, no play in shaft and spins freely. So, anybody else have any ideas? I am going to switch oils at next change and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for all the ideas, input and tips, please keep them coming

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, yet another update. Have been monitoring oil level everyday. Oil level has stayed the same except yesterday morning and this morning. When I refilled to the oil I filled it to the "a" in safe. Now it is at least a 1/4" below that. Here is breakdown of last couple days. Wednesday: checked oil and all good, changed ccv filter. Thursday: checked oil all good, hauled a load of mulch in bed of truck maybe a 1000 lbs. Worth. Had daughter moving truck around unloading mulch, noticed it was producing a bit of haze just kinda easing around. Friday: checked oil and it was down to bottom/left side of the "s". Saturday: checked oil and it is now at least a 1/4 inch below the "a". Now I am really concerned! There is also a very steep hill that i go down daily. When I do, I always pull tranny down to 2nd and let motor hold me back. Got to bottom of hill to stop sign, took off and there was a pretty good ploom of a white, almost steamy looking smoke that exited my exhaust followed by a little blueish smoke then it cleared. Now what? I'm about ready to trade.

• Staff

With so few miles for a CTD, it's still just a baby compared to my ol'e 12 valve, I cannot believe that engine would need any expensive repairs at all.I think it's the new EPA mandated oil causing it to burn away like that. Try switching oil brand just to see. My 92 burns up to 2 qts. away in 5k miles if driven hard with loads.Don't listen to me though, I'm still the 'diesel dummy' in many ways.

• Like 1

Thanks to all the advice, and insight from everyone. I am going to try a different oil, hope it is that simple. Maybe I'm wiping all my oil off my rag checking the oil so often??? :think:

Not trying to be a nagger here..........but are you checking your oil the "exact" same way every time so you do so!!!!! I know, I can get as much as "1 Quart" difference depending on when I check my oil!!! But not 6 QUARTS like you say!!!!!! I've got a hard time believing your "IDIOT LIGHT" didn't come on with you being that low on engine oil!!!!:smart: Not arguing, just saying!!
  • Like 1

Yes, I have checked it religiously every morning, same level place, engine cold since i have been monitoring it. Before that, i did not check it that often. The "check gauges" light never did come on. Always showed good oil pressure on the gauge.

Yes, I have checked it religiously every morning, same level place, engine cold since i have been monitoring it. Before that, i did not check it that often. The "check gauges" light never did come on. Always showed good oil pressure on the gauge.

WOW!!! That truly amazes me!!!:hyper::wow: You've got me worried about my truck now!!!:duh::banghead: Thanks!! I do check often, because I change out a TP bypass filter every 5k now!!! Just saying, not arguing!!! I still say piston rings or valve guides IMHO!!