• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

oil consumption/usage

al_fol

New symptom, need guidance. I have noticed that when idling at a long stoplight or waiting to get a gate open that when i go take off there is white smoke, followed by a bit of blue then it clears up. Could this be signs of turbo failure like moparman mentioned earlier in this thread or is this an entirely different issue? Guidance please.

Well I would not call it excessive, but just enough to say huh, wonder what caused that? I am concerned. Also it will do same thing after going down a steep grade with tranny pulled down to 2nd(auto) to hold back the truck.

I truly don't believe it's your turbo.......for the simple fact that you checked it out!!!! Just saying, not arguing.............but, I have been wrong a time or two in the past!!!!I've got a Bud with a '05 Duramax. That truck eats oil. I've been behind him, and he blows blue smoke out like crazy. Especially after cold starts and "prolonged" idling. But my Bud's truck also smokes blue more when he turns right, vs. turning left!!!My Buds truck was what I was basing all my replies to you on. Sounds' similar to some extent, hey?? My Bud has had his truck back to the GM stealership about the oil consumption, and they've said, there's nothing wrong..........and they consider the amount of oil he's using as normal!!!!:duh: Which is 2-3 quarts every 5k!!!!!:banghead: Sure sounds like piston rings or valve guides to me!!!What do think about that????? I'll wait for a reply, before I say anything further!!

• Like 1

I agree with Dorkweed, I'm tending to believe it's in the valve guides to. It's really not that bad of a job to do yourself. I pulled the head and replaced the head gasket. Come on over to Arkansas and let's get it done.....but not this week though! I'm a little busy, fixing to do an engine swap on a 6.7Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Well if you feel up to the road trip let me know. Help ya if I can. The only 2 bad things on the head job is the weight of the head, and getting the push rods out. Other than that its a fairly simple job, lil time consuming! Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

• Owner

Also to though in the mix you might check the injectors too. A bad injector could throw white smoke as well but since you got a oil issues (consumption) I would look towards the turbo first. Something to remember about valve guides that both exhaust and intake valves are technically under pressure all the time. So it should be rare for valve guide issues. Not saying it not possible but just rare. Being that the turbo though is under oil pressure 40-80 PSI which exceeds the boost or drive pressure it would be more likely of a turbo problem.Just thinkin' out loud.. :think:

• Like 1

I am going to definitely going to recheck the turbo again. I pulled the intake use of turbo but did not pull the exhaust side. I too am leaning tiwards the turbo, but with my luck that would be to easy. I also noticed that the wastegate will operate when cresting a couple of hills, and I am just cruising along. Just let off the throttle to crest hill (quick transition from uphill to downhill).

Ok, i am pretty sure my turbo is the culprit for my problem. After actually looking at a good turbo and feeling the amount of slop and play it had, i went back to mine and took a look. Mine actually spins freely, but it does have some side to side play and by pushing lightly to one side it really will not spin at all. it has no in and out play. I have yet to pull the exhaust side of the turbo to see if there was any oil in it (been way to busy). Does this make sense? If this is the problem, how hard is it to replace the turbo with let's say a 2004.5 and up HE351CW? Wastegate, downpipes etc........ Just trying to wrap my head around this.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the turbo really wasn't the problem. Finally decided to take truck to a mechanic friend of mine. He checked everything out and it appears the valve seats/seals are the culprit. He also recommended rebuilding the turbo because of the little bit of play in shaft. Maybe good time to upgrade turbo, any suggestions

Well, the turbo really wasn't the problem. Finally decided to take truck to a mechanic friend of mine. He checked everything out and it appears the valve seats/seals are the culprit. He also recommended rebuilding the turbo because of the little bit of play in shaft. Maybe good time to upgrade turbo, any suggestions

The stocker turbo over an S-400 is a great set up. As is BD's "towing twins". Quick spooling and boost to about 60psi. May as well do head studs whilst she's apart...................maybe valve springs and injectors also!!!!!!!:pant::spend::spend: Tranny :duh::2cents: You asked!!!!!!!:lmao2::lmao:

just finished reading all of your thread..i am saying the the seals/seats/guides are not doing there jobs.and as far as the white smoke...a possibly a cracked part in the head and or the head it self..white smoke means water..coolant in the combustion chambers...also...has far as you know do you have the correct year model oil dip stick for monitoring your oil level?but chance is it the original block?hopefully not a 53 that was replaced with the orignal 03 block...just trying to weed out all things that may have been over looked.

- - - Updated - - -

oh..and industrial injection has good turbos..i ran a SPS62 in my 03 with a 6speed...smarty revo tnt...puck..and tst..all stacked and it ran AWESOME..and that was with stock injectors.:thumbup2:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...